Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Do I Need More Seating in my Great Room?

nanny2a
9 years ago

You all were so helpful with my coffee table dilemma a few months ago, I thought I would show you the final results of my great room transformation.....and get some more advice! Only two of us live in this house, we are both retired, and we very seldom entertain. Do we still need more seating? And if so, what and where?

For those who remember, I got a new couch that replaces an older sectional that was too large and bulky looking for our small living area. The sectional really only sat 3 people comfortably, or 4 if you used the lounge portion, (which no one ever would use). Since no one would use that part of the sectional, I wanted to replace it with something more suitable for our needs.

I also replaced two oversized slipcovered club chairs that I mistakenly bought from Ballard Designs last year without test driving them first. Costly big mistake! They were the most uncomfortable chairs we have ever owned. I reupholstered the club chairs that I had purchased years ago for this room, that we always loved. The only reason I stopped using them was because I was tired of the red plaid skirted upholstery on them, the chairs and cushions were still in excellent condition. So I let DH get involved in the transformation process by letting him choose a new fabric for the chairs, (with my guidelines, lol!), then found my pneumatic staple gun and got to work. This is the result.

Comments (12)

• homersmom
    9 years ago

They look great!

• voila
    9 years ago

Wow, you are talented. The room looks wonderful. If you at one time have more than three guests, do you have dining room chairs to fill in? Adding more seating when you don't need it may clutter your serene look.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

I really like them any chance you can post more on how you did it?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's a gorgeous room, and unless one or both of you has an ENORMOUS butt, It would seem like there is enough seating for what you say you need. I love that LR. I remember when you first posted.

• bpath
    9 years ago

If you ever entertain and need more seating, can you just pull the end chairs from the dining room in? And, just 'cause I'm more comfortable this way, how about an ottoman? A temporary perch, it can go next to the sofa (which I really like, BTW, along with the club chairs) when not needed, and pull around when your tootsies need a lift.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree, one or two ottomans will add flexible seating should you need it. But now that you have gotten the room looking so nice, you need to entertain!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I am into the ottoman for extra seating, a piano bench if you have one, a dressing table bench or just buy a bench for a song at Target or Lowe's to bring in when needed. Do you have card table chairs?

Your room is very, very pretty and I think it is great just like it is. Otherwise, for social get-togethers, you have some great suggestions here.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I just love your room! It looks really nice and the club chairs turned out great! Can I ask you where you purchased your rug and what is it made of? Wondering if it's sisal, jute, or seagrass. Looks nice.

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your compliments. I do have a large ottoman that went with the club chairs, and enough fabric to recover that, also, so I will plan on doing that as soon as free time allows. Friends have already stopped by and used the hearth cushion, too, so IâÂÂm glad I made that. I also have cushioned dining room chairs at the table in this room, as well as a bench in the foyer that can be brought in and placed at the end where the overlarge slipcovered chair is now. That chair and itâÂÂs mate are going to a consignment store because they are too big and too uncomfortable to keep in this room.

So with those additions, I guess I should be okay. Thanks so much for your help, again!

Sis2two, I bought the seagrass rug at Overstock. It was suggested by GW members initially, and it is what transformed the room perfectly! I had an oriental-style rug there before that just didnâÂÂt work with the new couch or rustic coffee table.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Pretty room, love your curtains, too!

• teeda
    9 years ago

Love, love your room! I can't get over that you reupholstered those two club chairs! I don't think you need any additional seating--as others said you could pull dining chairs in if needed. Another thought, if you have a spot to do it, is a console or sofa table with two low benches underneath. I recently picked one with benches up on CL. I like the idea of tucking the benches under the table.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just bring the dining chairs in if you need extra seating.The blue upholstery is perfect.