Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

What Style Ceiling Lamp Goes With Shaker Style?

amck2
9 years ago

I've posted on GW Kitchens in my search for pendant lamps for my island, listing all the features I don't want. But I thought some of you here who don't often visit that board might be able to set me in the right direction.

My inset Shaker cabinets and island will be painted a creamy ivory. The granite tops will be a creamy sage. The island's fixtures will hang in the center of my open plan home. The house is 14 yrs. - a 2 story traditional New England clapboard exterior in NH.

The rest of the home is decorated in an uncluttered traditional style with Shaker pieces in my DR.I have a simple white FP mantel and white trim and golden oak floors throughout.

When I've looked up Shaker lighting, I pretty much get floor and table lamps (the Shakers did not have peninsula and kitchen island lighting...) I have been trying to steer clear of lanterns and industrial-style lights and want something a bit more refined than galvanized barn lights and lamps on cords or bare wires. Also want something more traditional than the bare filament bulbs in metal cages.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Comments (18)

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

How authentically Shaker do you want to be?

The meetinghouse at Hancock Shaker Village has candles on round platforms that can be raised and lowered.

Table lamps had tin, brass, or glass bases, with glass shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hancock Meetinghouse

This post was edited by okmoreh on Sat, May 10, 14 at 15:15

• zen4d
    9 years ago

Would you like something like this?

This post was edited by zen4d on Sat, May 10, 14 at 22:34

• Jules
    9 years ago

Try expanding your search to "Craftsman pendant" to view more options. What finish would you prefer -- ORB, nickel?

A row of these simple pendants would look nice in a Shaker home (although I wouldn't choose something with a marbled globe like the one shown).

• Jules
    9 years ago

Is this too industrial looking for your taste?

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

okmoreh, I'm not so much looking to be historically authentic as to make sure it goes with the house and the rest of my furnishings .

I'm considering having Shaker weaving stools (without finials) made for counter seating. They have a wood frame with woven tape seats. I'm drawn to them because they're sturdy but not heavy in weight or appearance. I thought having them woven in cream and beige would keep with the quiet color palette, but add some textural interest. Before I go ahead with those, I'd want to know my lights would complement them in style.

zen4d, I'm not sure about those. My fist impression was that the shape and curvy ironwork might be too much, especially in multiples.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jujubean71, I submitted my post before seeing yours. I like the first light a lot - as you said, with an opal shade instead of marbled. And I was wondering if it would be okay to mix Crafstman with Shaker.

And on that point, I found one on the Rejuvenation site that is very simple with a rounded cup shaped shade with a simple metal rim, but it's in the Art Deco collection. Can any of you tell me if it would be a decorating "Don't" to mix it with Shaker?

Re the second light above. That one does fall into the industrial look I was hoping to avoid.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How about a very simple candelabra...

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

If you were looking for semi-flush ceiling lights, I would suggest schoolhouse lamps (with large china or semi-opaque glass globes) - not in period, but would feel right.

In general terms: function over form, meaning no unnecessary decoration. I would steer clear of most wrought iron because it tends to be, well, overwrought, and the Shakers didn't use black iron for lamps. However, satin nickel might be a good choice, as it's in the same color range as the tin that Shakers did use.

There are almost no in-period models, because pendant and ceiling lights weren't possible before electric light, except for candle chandeliers of various sorts (you can't make a flame burn downward).

Here's a lamp that I would like with Shaker cabinets and furniture, although I'd like it better in nickel than brass:

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I live in a town with a Shaker Village which I've visited many times. My memory is that the dwelling areas didn't have electric lights, but that some or all of the work areas did.

In the post linked below, there's a photo most of the way down the page with the schoolhouse interior that includes a pendant lamp.

In the same blog, the "Moses Johnson, master builder" entry has a photo of the round hanging candelabras in one of the meeting houses (not Canterbury.)

Here is a photo of the lamps in the Canterbury meeting house:
    http://blog.lakesregionhome.com/files/2014/02/DSC_0321_tonemapped.jpg

Many of the lights are hanging bare bulbs in work areas such as the syrup shop:
    http://blog.lakesregionhome.com/files/2014/02/DSC_0276_tonemapped-Copy.jpg
    flat steel light shade in another work area (with a bare hanging bulb by the door) and in the laundry:
    http://blog.lakesregionhome.com/files/2014/02/DSC_0291_tonemapped-Copy.jpg
    http://blog.lakesregionhome.com/files/2014/02/DSC_0252_tonemapped-Copy.jpg
    deeper metal shade (dark green) in the room with the knitting machines:
    http://blog.lakesregionhome.com/files/2014/02/DSC_0235_tonemapped-Copy.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canterbury, NH Shaker Village

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Oops - 1 more; this slide show has a photo of some pendant lamps which are new, but are the lamps chosen for part of the visitor's center at the Canterbury Shaker Village. (You will have to scroll through a bunch of other photos.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Visitor's Center pendant lamps

• clt3
    9 years ago

I could definitely see something from Hubbardton Forge in a Shaker style kitchen.

For some reason the link won't go directly to the pendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge

This post was edited by clt3 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 9:38

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I found one on the Rejuvenation site that is very simple with a rounded cup shaped shade with a simple metal rim, but it's in the Art Deco collection. Can any of you tell me if it would be a decorating "Don't" to mix it with Shaker?

I can't really comment on the specific light you mean, and heaven knows I'm not a design expert, however...

I've found a lot of discrepancy on how items, from lights to cabinet knobs/pulls are categorized or labeled. I chose a bath light that looks very classic to me and someone else said it was too contemporary for her.

If it looks good to you in the context of your house, it doesn't matter what somebody else calls the style.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks All for the help & suggestions. I'm getting my first chance to pore over posts from last night.

nhbabs, the Canterbury Shaker Village has been on my list of places to visit for a long time. We've lived in the ME & NH Seacoast areas throughout the time our kids grew up. So we made many school trips to Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth & to Sturbridge Village in MA over the years. The photos & blog you linked make me want to go all the more & it's not that far away.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I may have found one. Murray Feiss Lighting P1235RI. I'm not ordering yet. Want to check it out again tomorrow and see if I still feel it's right.

Wish I could see the finish in person, but it's the right size. The shade is shiny opal glass. The glass shade has a curve that will go with my DR lights and I think the cup shape softens some of the angles I'll have going on in the kitchen. Really like the little metal detail where the stem meets the glass. Nothing too fussy about it so a line of 3 won't overpower everything else in the space.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

That looks like a very nice lamp.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

This would go nicely with your Shaker weaving stools (without finials) made for counter seating.

• petepie
    9 years ago

How about altamont from hudson valley lighting

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hudsonvalleylighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item=5515-DB