Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Updated version of Terra Cotta

ellendi
13 years ago

I posted on the paint forum, but it is slow going over there so I tought I would cross post.

A friend of mine wants to paint her kitchen Tera Cotta. I remember the orange toned Terra Cotta when it was popular years back. Does anyone know an updated version of Terra Cotta?

Comments (12)

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Well, terra cotta IS orange. Just look at a clay pot. That's the true color of terra cotta. If you're looking for something that's a bit browned down and not so in your face, then Behr Copper Mountain, Fall Leaves or Sesame Crunch are all terra cottas that don't shout.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I used Potters Clay. Not sure if the true color will show in these photos, but you can look at my b4/after album here:

My Kitchen Facelift

I almost used Copper Mountain, but at the last minute I thought it would be too dark. I used it in my laundry room instead.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I am curious about orange-based color schemes in eating areas. These color schemes are used in fast-food restaurants to make people eat faster. They have done studies where it shows that people do not linger as long. Terracotta is a more subdued orange, but I wonder if the same holds true.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

We just did a podcast about that very thing this week, Pal.

I think there is basis to using color in strategic ways. There are methods for to applying color psychology to support a specific environment  like a school, a restaurant, a hospital, etc. However, I have a hard time agreeing that color psychology applied 'makes' people eat faster.

Using higher saturated colors from the typically designated "warm" side of a basic color wheel like red, orange, yellow to create an atmosphere that's high energy, intensity - and even volume - would align with the goal of encouraging people to move quickly. And a reasonable result would be that people are motivated by, and perhaps even mirror, the psycho-physiologial momentum of a high energy color palette. Or, could say lingering would not be an activity supported by those color choices. That, I can agree with.

A color that fits common descriptions of terra cotta, or muted, dark oranges, could have the same affect. But like every other color and situation it would depend on context; how it's used, the circumstance of the other parts of the color palette.

One of my favorite terra cotta paint colors is Hitching Post. It's a Pittsburgh Paints color from the Porter paints palette. Another oldie but goodie is Iced Tea from Behr. There might be a couple good candidates in the new Martha Stewart palette at Home Depot too...

• scanmike
    13 years ago

What about BM Georgian Brick? I used it as an accent wall in our basement apartment for my mom. It's deeper/richer than it looks here.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago

I've got a sorta "updated" (not too orange) terra cotta in my master bedroom.
    Here is a photo:

As for the formula/color, here is what it says on the can: PORTER Silken Touch with Teflon HI-SHEEN FLAT 998 Deep Base color # 6791-3 gallon formula 12YM. There is not an actual name of the color on the can--sorry. I'm sure the lovely people at Porter can help you though. Good luck!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will pass all the ideas to my friend. I think she wants Terra Cotta because she has painted tiles in her backsplash that have some Terra Cotta.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I'm not much of an orange person, but there was something about Massada, which Abbycat used in her kitchen, that really caught my attention.

Abbycat's Aura Massada

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Audubon Russet is a pretty terra cotta:

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I don't have a picture, but "Santa Fe Pottery" by Benjamin Moore is a terra cotta with a hint of apricot/peach in it.
    It doesn't have a strong "in your face" orange look to it.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Msrose...I like that Massada color. Need to make that one a keeper.

• megsy
    13 years ago

Georgian Brick is my vote.