Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

New 6 ft wide Window ???

amck2
9 years ago

We are adding a 6 ft. wide expanse of windows over our sink in our kitchen remodel. It's East facing, so will let in lots of morning sunlight. It's a second story kitchen facing an acre of our own property, so I don't need shades for privacy and planned to leave it unadorned.

We haven't purchased the window yet, but were going to get two casement windows flanking a middle stationary window (no screen in middle to obscure the view).

Now, I am wondering if I should plan for some type of shade for when we get summer heat waves. Do any of you have a kitchen window that large? If so, do you have one large shade? Multiple shades for each pane?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (7)

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

We have nearly 12 feet of windows over our kitchen sink. The window faces east, and gets lots of morning sun. My architect designed it so the two central windows open (I wanted to be able to feel a breeze and have fresh air if toiling at the sink). The two windows on each end are stationary. After one summer, we realized we needed to have some shade from the hot summer sun. The shades roll into a cornice that fits exactly between the clerestory windows and lower windows, so that doesn't obscure our view, either.

I got two shades out of material that both screens the sun and allows for something of a view at the same time. We've had these for 10 years now, and are very happy with them. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago, with the sun coming into the room. I think you can see that the view through the shades is not wholly obscured.

• crl_
    9 years ago

We will be putting in three casement windows to span nearly ten feet. I'm thinking an operable roman shade for when I need something to block some sunlight. Bu we are a ways out so that's very tentative.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

We have an 8 foot span of windows in our kitchen. They are facing south and we have a full length covered porch so I don't need shades at all.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

This is mine going in in November of 2011. I chose double hung this time as I couldn't stand the casement that had been here before. It had three windows and the outer two opened out and the center was fixed. The wind caught them, rain came in easily if I wasn't home to close them.. And I had to climb up on the counter to wash both the inside and the far-more-difficult outside, as my house has a daylight basement so the kitchen is at a second floor equivalent. The rest of the house has double hung so these fit better style-wise, too.

I much prefer this one, which is about 7 feet over all. It also faces east, and the mid-summer sun is blinding here in southern Maine. I have put off buying shades as I need a custom size, but this may be the year I do it. I'll do one for each window when I do get them. All of these open.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies and photos. I'm glad I posed the question before ordering my windows. The different types and configurations are giving me food for thought.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I have about a 7 ft span with 3 windows. The middle is fixed and the two outer are casement. Ours are south facing so we get sun all day long. I don't have treatments on them. I may do it at some point, and if I did, I will probably do a roman shade with 3 separate shades but under one header. We have been in the house for almost 4 years. Honestly we rarely open windows bc of allergies. The only downside about casement is that the window opens out into a patio, so it can get in the way.

No matter what you decide, you will love having a large window above the sink.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

How about a UV film on the windows? We did this on the doors to our deck which were east facing. It helped with the glare but didn't impede the view. Also helped with fading on our hardwood floors.