Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth714_gw

injecting color into a b&w kitchen

elizabeth714
9 years ago

my entire kitchen is black/white/metal/grey.

any suggestions for color? I don't do knick knacks or utensil holders.

small appliances are white or metal.....brushed nickel kitchenaid and stainless coffee pot. those are the only things that will sit on the counter. pop up toaster is white. and is in a cab.....

most of my serving pieces are white. cake plates, platters, big bowls, gurgling cod. i do have a pretty blue patterned italian ceramic bowl. it IS big, but the island is 8x3, so most things are dwarfed by it.

also, all my dishes are white. wedding dishes are white KPM. every day dishes are white crate and barrel. and extra dishes for parties are white pottery barn. i have a thing for white.

counter stools will be black leather. i have issues.

Comments (23)

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's another view. thanks in advance!

also pendants were repositioned yesterday. only thing i kept from the kitchen pre remodel. stainless pendants.

backsplash is going in on monday. you guessed it. white subway tile.

the wall across from the stove is big and blank and grey. maybe some art? or photos? or repainting?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I'd look for colorful art of some kind to put on the blank wall you mentioned, and pull an "accent" color from that. Maybe red? Turquoise? Bright green? Then keep it simple if you don't like knick knacks or clutter: some dish towels in your accent color, maybe a colorful bowl on the island, and...a red toaster??

Or pull a color from an adjacent room?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love it. Love the floor, what is it?

Will you have window treatments or seating in the kitchen?

• teacats
    9 years ago

I adore your kitchen!!! It is wonderful -- fresh elegant and very welcoming!

Place large white bowl on your gorgeous island countertop -- fill with fresh fruit (oranges? lemons? green apples?) or veggies

......find a long dark-wood bowl for the back counter -- fill with local veggies or breads from a market .....

... add a small silver tray beside the stove for oils, vinegars and a good white or black marble mortar-and-pestle ...

Add a clear-glass (but these do come in colors) Blenko double-lip pitcher on that counter -- fill with fresh herbs ...

Add a wonderful large container of flowers outside the back door or a tall bush (you could add tiny lights for a party to the bush!)

Add one large pottery platter above the doorway .....

Add a large round white vase to the island -- fill with gladiolas -- add a couple of bottles of wine, glasses and a platter of snacks .... have a party! :) ((just teasing!))

• peony4
    9 years ago

My kitchen has all the same elements as yours, with the exception that my floors are wood. I, too, like simplicity and sparse counters. A few well-placed baskets or wooden bowls can add warmth and are functional, too. For example, I store k-cups in a basket next to my stainless coffee maker. A rustic wooden bowl on my island holds citrus. Once flowers from my cutting garden bloom, I have those in vases.

If you choose to add a color, choose art for the opposite wall, and pull a color from it for a decorate bowl (your blue Italian ceramic sounds pretty!) or vase on the island, and then 1 or 2 pieces in the same color on your glass shelves.

It won't be hard to do... when you have a black, white and metal canvas, any added color stands out.

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great ideas, all! i was thinking of the sacrificial lemon design element. I would, of course, use them, too!

the floor is 12x12 ceramic (or maybe porcelain) tile with black grout.

the seating will be black leather counter stools

and there is a large window (double doors, actually) leading out to our back deck. we don't have window treatments on them. and probably won't.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't do knickknacks or utensil holders...

Well, I find that there's no way to add color, without adding color. If you don't want to make specific decorative purchases to add color, then you won't get any. It's not that you need it...there's absolutely nothing wrong with a B&W kitchen. But if you want it, you have to add it.

I would suggest picking a single color....be it yellow, kelly green, turquoise or whatever. Then work it into the room in a few select places so that the theme carries through....artwork on the blank wall, three plates hung on the wall above the glass double doors, a piece of art glass for the center of the island, and a couple of hand towels on the DW handle. You can push it a little farther if you are willing to add a few colored plates or tchotchkes behind some of the glass fronted cabinets. I like a clock in the kitchen....maybe something in your color centered over the fridge....

Then, not only will you have some color in your B&W kitchen, but it will be a piece of cake to swap it out for a whole new look should you want to.

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

silver trays ordered. i'm looking for some wooden bowls now. thanks for the ideas.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Why? If you like black and white, march it to the edge of monochrome and shove it over the cliff.

Paint the inside of the glass door cabinets a flat black and put white pottery in front of it. Hang a dramatic black and white photo or poster or textile or plate collection on the blank wall.

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i love the idea of a b&w photo/art

• Oakley
    9 years ago

This is kind of funny. I have white cabs, reddish & cream checkerboard tile floors, and white subway backsplash. Granite is different though.

The best accent color in my kitchen is black. I think the best accent color in your kitchen would be red. Maybe just one large red piece on the island? Or something turquoise would be pretty. You can set the silver tray in the middle of the island with a large decorative piece on it.

What is the style of the rest of your house?

• teacats
    9 years ago

You could add a large bulletin board on that side wall .... then add all kinds of B&W photos ..... or even vintage photos .....

B&W photo/art would be wonderful! You could do a full wall of fun family/friends photos -- hung in a grid in matching white mats and black frames ..... and those could even be changed out for parties or holidays .....

You could do a grid of favorite vacation spot photos or even a grid of architectural or garden photos from around your own area .....

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my only concern with red accents is that it will look like a vintage soda shop.

the rest of my house is contemporary.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a pinterest photo of a grid of B&W photos ..... just for ideas .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pin of a grid of b&w photos

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I have a black and white kitchen with just a few colorful hand towels (yellow), a basket full of fruit (natural), a basket with onions (natural) on another counter, an old yellow sugar bowl next to the coffee maker and a couple of potted herbs in yellow and green pots. And a small rug at the sink that is black with sunflowers. But that is me. I love a little bit of yellow here and there to help me smile : )

I agree with the others, though. If this is what you like, than own it! Especially in a contemporary house a monochromatic kitchen with a sharp black and white photo would look fabulous, and your kitchen is so lovely you don't need to "tart it up" with accents if they don't speak to YOU!

Not sure what you are putting in the glass cabinets, but I have seen some really lovely cabinets with the back wall painted a deep color to set off white dishes. (Just a thought)

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Saskatoon Interior Designers & Decorators Atmosphere Interior Design Inc.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

A big white bowl with fresh fruit in it? Clear glass apothecary jars with candy? These are items you can change out regularly.

• mountaineer2
    9 years ago

Could you pick out some colorful placemats?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think I'd paint the wall a bolder color.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would put some kitchen things in turquoise and something brighter (yellow or gold) for color. A big BIG bowl for holding seasonal fruit, some colorful canisters, and a really nice platter to sit on the island (it can be used as a collect all, a service item, or just be decoration):

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Here is another idea (I'd put a little plant under the dome):

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

And this (if you must have white):

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Fantastic kitchen. Yes, display food. I could see a fern adding a lot:

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, teacats and lazygardens, for the support and encouragement to go big with the black and white. i think that's exactly what i'm going to do. with a photo wall. black and white photos in black frames with white mattes. or maybe white frames and white mattes. i've done this in my dining room with colored photos. and i've used this product. i'm reordering for kitchen.

http://www.picturewall.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: picture wall