Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

We may need to Replace a few tiles in Master Shower/Tub

There is more on this issue in the Bathroom forum linked below.

I'm not sure if this is a design issue or a repair issue. All cabinets and drawers have been stripped and will be painted white. Fixtures will be replaced.

As you know, we purchased a huge money pit. Now you see what we face in the master bath. The builder was a contractor, and he must have got a deal on the tile because it's everywhere tile can be put! We are trying to save the tile due to budget concerns. The kitchen and rotting outside decks sucked up most of the money!

There is a crack in the niche (shown in bathroom forum) and some broken faucets which MUST be replaced. The plumber says they are so old, that the new ones might not fit the valves, so we might have to destroy part of the wall (including some tiles) to re-plumb for the new stuff.

We hope not to have to face any tile removal at all, but if we do, would a couple strips of a medium brown replacement tile (I will never be able to replace tile from the 80's) as an accent work? The leaves on the flowers are medium brown.

Sorry for the dark photo. Electricity is off, so taking pictures into light is tough!

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Forum with more photos

Comments (6)

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I replaced old shower handles and was able to keep the old valves. Hope you can do the same.

I have seen some shower module type things that include a back plate. If you have to replace all the shower hardware perhaps you could get something like that to cover all the old holes.

• Fori
    10 years ago

What's behind the shower? You might be able to access the valves from the next room over and just have a drywall repair.

I wouldn't give up on finding a reasonable tile match either. Blah brown is still fashionable. I even have a box that looks just like that in my garage (also from the 80s I think. Wrong size for you though!).

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! You are making me feel much better!

fori, behind one shower is the wall you see in the photo. The one with the toilet paper holder. The other shower head backs up to the laundry room. We have an upstairs laundry room. That's another post, another day.. LOL! I really don't want to go looking for matching tile, but if I must I must! Doing everything in a hurry (contractor has a time-line created by us), is tough.

jamies, that plate thing is a great idea. I'll look for those too!

DH is there now with the contractor getting the good or bad news. I really don't think they will know anything until we purchase a replacement and see if it fits.

Remember, money is tight here, so what do you think of this replacement?

Here is a link that might be useful: A possible replacement

Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the flower that appears here and there on the tiles. I will paint the room to blend, when that day comes.

First things first. We turned the knobs, and the water comes on! Yay! This is a tub/shower, but I doubt we will ever tub. We are shower people.

Hot tub on the deck outside, well that is another post!

Suzi

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

First, I'd pull one of the stems, take it to a REAL plumbing store and see if they can identity the manufacturer, American Standard, Kohler, whatever. They can probably order replacement handles that will fit your needs. Sounds like your plumber is on the young side. I just got replacements for my 1950's AS.
    If you wind up replacing the tile (depending on how many you need), you can get 8 full tiles by pulling down the tiles above the shower and just leaving the bullnose trim (that's how mine is and it's original).
    Patch the drywall and continue the crown molding around the corners to meet the other crown. It looks like pretty standard crown so it should be pretty easy to match.
    You might also get some extra tile from behind the side panel of the vanity where it meets shower.
    Just a thought.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, they think whatever it is, was high end at the time. Sucks when you are on a budget...

They went high end, and lost the house to foreclosure. Lesson?

DH took it to a plumbing place and it's not one of your cheap china brands. They think it's Moen. Jury is out.