Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Does the fixture closest seem crooked?

three3apples
9 years ago

The store I purchased it from sent a tech out and he was unable to make it more straight. They offered to order a new one for me, but I am wondering whether it is bad enough that I should. Others also see it is crooked, but I just don't know if its a big enough deal to warrant a reorder. What do you all think? Also, it only looks crooked when viewed from the kitchen or keeping room.

Comments (12)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Exactly what fixture are you talking about? (And a picture would help.)

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you go:

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure why these took so long to show up.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's too hard to tell from the pics. I'd put a long level on opposing shades and see if it is actually not level.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

How long has it been up? My DR fixture was crooked for about a month or so. I guess the cords and chains have to loosen up or something.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If they think it is crooked enough to remake it, I probably would have them do it. I can't tell from the pictures.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Or use a laser pointer. I can't really tell from the pics either.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been hanging a few days. we don't have a laser pointer. I'll try the level tomorrow. The offered to replace it before even seeing it, actually.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Here are your pictures properly oriented:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'm not seeing anything that looks off. What is it you think doesn't look right? Is it hanging crooked? Are some of the individual lights out of kilter?

You also have to recognize that a complicated and curvy fixture like that has a lot going on and not all of the elements may align perfectly when you scrutinize it repeatedly. Also, if there is a slight difference in the balance of weight of a fixture that has "arms," it can cause a slight tilt.

If you think it's off, then maybe you should return it as it may keep bugging you even if a level doesn't prove anything is off. Just bear in mind that an identical replacement may have a similar appearance.

• jennybc
    9 years ago

I can see it. It's slightly off but I'm the one who can find the 1/8" out of parallel kitchen cabinet, so take it with a grain if salt. Can the light itself be adjusted at all? The pictures make it hard to pinpoint where the out-of-level begins. If its the arms or the chain not being straight.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

Count the links on the chain. It's hard to tell from the picture but I swear one in the back has more links than the other (or the cord is shorter which makes it appear shorter).

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are both hanging from 5 links of chain. The cord appears exactly the same as well. The closest one has a completely straight chain, its the fixture that is crooked. I'm going to ask them to order me another--it's bugging me and, since they were nice enough to offer I'm going to take them up on it.