Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Would this drive you crazy?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

This for the daughter's BA in the summer house.
If I did my to scale drawing correctly, when you brush your teeth you will have to scoot toward center to see yourself ...?

Comments (27)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Yes, it would drive me crazy (you asked). Also drying hair, putting on makeup. It would just make me crazy not to have a mirror over my sink.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's about 2/3 of the way, if you look at it vis a vis the faucets.

Maybe if they had littler heads ...

• suero
    9 years ago

On the bright side, when they floss their teeth, the mirror is less likely to be spattered.

Yes, it would be a problem for me, but what do your girls think?

• crl_
    9 years ago

Yes, that would bother me.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It would, yes! What's the point of dual sinks if the mirror doesn't extend over both?

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

What would make me MOST crazy is cleaning the frame around the mirror--talcum powder dust/ towel lint/ spider webs... That and not having the mirror where it's sposed to be.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, it would. And depending on the size of the bathroom the steam from the shower will do no favors for those wicker curlicues....our mirror was not that large, vintage and in a guesthouse bathroom. The curlicues de-painted and drooped from steam after about six months.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, okay okay. Ix-nay on the irror-may. Now I know not to let the girls see it.

Would you like the bathroom better if I used red mulch, though?

LOL

I will look for two smaller mirrors, maybe plain ovals and do the ribbon thing. Why give them something more to fight over?

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

"Would you like the bathroom better if I used red mulch, though? "

You're too funny, mtn!

• Jamie
    9 years ago

LOL. There's a place for that mirror and a place for red mulch.

I'd rather have the wicker in the bathroom than try to keep it clean on the screen porch!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Are the girls red-headed or brunettes? If brunettes, go for the brown mulch :D

• blfenton
    9 years ago

You guys are funny.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

One mirror each, so they're not fighting over it.
    On a related note, I tried to teach my kids that it's not necessary to admire yourself in the mirror from close-up while brushing your teeth.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, no place to see themselves when they are putting on that blue eyeshadow. ;~0

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

You didn't ask, but what would bother me is the lack of counter space. We're talking about teenaged girls here? Do they use the bathroom together?

I see stuff piled up between the sinks, getting knocked into one or the other. Where to put a curling iron, hair brush, makeup - times two?

The sink is beautiful, but I don't think it's right for a working bathroom.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Use the red mulch only if you do a Hildy (or was it Genevieve?) and stick it on the bathroom walls!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Mtn...you trendsetter you.....I'll bet we see red mulch mirrors in AD this summer!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

annkh makes an interesting point. I know this isn't your full-time residence and that your daughter isn't a teenager yet, but is there another spot nearby for the "stuff" like face wash and toothbrush and toothpaste? My kids' bathroom in our summer place has a pedestal sink also, but over it is a medicine cabinet so they have a place for some stuff. (Actually, though, they brush their teeth in the downstairs bathroom.) We also have recessed shelving in the same bathroom with baskets for some of their stuff, which is needed now that DD is, you know, a woman. LOL. She's barely 13 and weighs 90 lbs. so it's funny when I say that. But you know what I mean. She needs some stuff that her brothers don't need.

In answer to your question, though, yes, the mirror would drive me crazy. Ballard and Pottery Barn both have (I think) frameless mirrors in interesting shapes that might work?

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I may be in the minority, but the ovals (unless they are huge) would also bother me. We went from a large mirror over a double sink vanity to medicine cabinet mirrors over the same size vanity and I really miss the "big picture". YMMV

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i wouldn't like it, but kids tend to be alot more flexible than adults!
    also, it being a summer/beach house, maybe (hopefully! :) they won't be spending a whole lot of time putting on makeup or doing their hair, etc...
    i doubt it would be too much of an issue brushing teeth, etc...
    but, then again, i'm a mom of boys...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AnnKH, SueB,

I do sometimes choose form over function. I'm often willing to live with a little inconvenience in exchange for things I find pleasing to look at. When it comes to a bathroom, the most logical thing is double sinks in a vanity with storage underneath, and a mirror clear across. I don't have that anywhere and I won't be putting it in, since I like period looks and it just feels wrong to me.

So, for example, my daughters' bath at home is a jack and jill. They each have a pedestal sink, and in between their sinks is this (though theirs is all painted)

{{!gwi}} a>

In the summer house, I am doing something a bit similar with a furniture piece. The footprint is actually pretty generous for their bath (NOTE - drawings are not precise, and yes, it is all to code). They are still in middle school and so no makeup or hairdryers yet, but soon I am sure. Shh, don't tell Dad. Their storage area will include:

1. Where you see the royal blue rectangle is a furniture piece (there was supposed to be a wall there , but we had them make a space to put the piece under the eave). I thought I had a photo but I don't; it is sort of a Shabby Chic piece
    2. There is a closet to the right of the sink that will have some storage in it, including perhaps over-the-door
    3. Inset medicine cabinet over the toilet.
    4. Shelves on the interior knee wall next to the toilet
    5, "Secret compartment" inset near the baseboard level next to the toilet (I have this in my MBA at home and wanted to repeat it)
    6. worst case, I could skirt the sink and put storage underneath

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

I just finished my bathroom with that sink. Painters finished Friday. I love it and don't miss the counter space at all. I used two medicine cabinets. I love that everything fits nicely inside the cabinets and baskets. Kind of forces my husband to put his things away rather than leave them on the counter.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting, KEW. Congrat's on your new bathroom! Do post pics if you have them.

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

Thanks! I just posted the reveal on the bathroom forum. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Reveal

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, KEW, that looks great! I love love the herringbone marble floor. And you choice of window is really nice. Appropriate and interesting, but restrained. Nice job!

BTW, are you a fair maiden living in a castle? Cool house!

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

Thanks! At one point I considered adding a crest to the window which is commonly seen on Tudors in my area, then I thought uh oh, Camelot. Ha!

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

"Would you like the bathroom better if I used red mulch, though?"

Thanks so much for my laugh of the day. I was one of the pro-red mulch crowd, but this made me smile!