Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Benjamin Moore's "Pale Oak" undertones??

Posted by jilltigs (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:14

I really like this paint color, but I am worried I might see a little pink/purple undertone in it. Has anyone used this color? Do you see any undertones in it at all? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Benjamin Moore's "Pale Oak" undertones??

Google Candice Olson’s Five “Go To” colors. She describes it as having a blush undertone and a color that has some warmth.

o

I see it's warm, but no pink or purple...at least not so much as to be outstanding....best bet is to get a sample and try it on your wall...

o

I just painted this in my interior hallway. I see pink undertones when the overhead light is on. Luckily, we rarely use that light so it is a really pretty very light gray.

o

Grays are so tricky with pink/purple undertones. At my oldest son's wedding the Mother of the Bride had on a beautiful gray chiffon formal dress. We walked outside and her previously dyed to match gray heels were now purple! Luckily it was an indoor church wedding and the shoes were again perfectly matched to the gray dress.

o

We just painted our LR/DR Pale Oak, and I don't see any pink/purple/lavender undertones. It's possible, though, that it could look different in your home, depending on the colors and tones present. I painted large swatches of sample colors on several different walls, and Pale Oak was one of only two colors (the other was Classic Gray) that didn't change dramatically from one wall to the next. It also looked good with our 1920's-era medium oak floors.

The trim paint seemed to have the most impact on the color. I initially intended to keep the existing trim color, but after I painted the walls, the trim looked dingy and yellow, and the walls looked a bit dingy, too, and more gray than I expected. I repainted the trim using a very bright white with a blue undertone (Chantilly Lace) that somehow brought out more of the warmth in Pale Oak, which is what I wanted. It really made a dramatic difference.

I had also considered using White Dove, a white with a bit of gray, for less contrast, but I'm glad I went with the Chantilly Lace.

I love the Pale Oak more and more every day. It's a barely there color during the day, and darkens ever so slightly at night to the color of a pale beach pebble. I never see any pink.

The only way to know is to test the color in the area you plan to use it, and on several different walls. Then live with it for a few days. I was glad that we had a few cloudy days when I was testing colors, because it helped me rule out a few that were too dreary when the sun was absent.

o

Here's a pic of Pale Oak in my dining room. I don't see any pink or purple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here