Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

A question for Professional Seamstresses

User
9 years ago

I am in an oxycodone haze from my shoulder surgery Tuesday, but could not believe the price I was quoted on a fitted Roman style table skirt. This is for a custom drape table made to Fit in between the space where the two daybeds in our basement front room don't overlap. I want a fitted cover with inverted pleats at each corner, the table dimensions are 37" wide x 13" deep x 28" high. No welting around the top (on the seams that attach the top to the sides) as I will put a glass top on it and the welting sometimes impedes this. I will supply the fabric, either a solid color burlap type or the avocado or darker green cotton slub I am using for the pillows.

What would a professional seamstress charge for the fabrication of this table cover?

Comments (16)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Kswl, do you mean like the round one pictured in the link? You might get an idea of cost from the site. Doesn't say anything about using your own fabric though.

Sure hope your shoulder heals quickly! I have one that's achey, but don't think it's, or I'M ready for surgery yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: tablecloths

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The table is being made and is a rectangle. Thanks for the link I will check it out. So far the shoulder has been excruciating I less I use the prescribed drugs. I am trying to wean off them today to alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every two hours. Not super successful, probably early yet. Take care of your shoulder this s no picnic!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

kswl, I'm running in a fog too, but not from drugs. I hope you're recovering well from your surgery. My fog is related to very little sleep the last week as my dear Father in law passed away suddenly 8 days ago.

I'd say the price quoted from the site Patty linked is reasonable. ($76.25 with the fabric I chose) That quote includes the fabric, but not the shipping. Since you're supplying the fabric I would most likely charge 35 to fifty dollars. Though I personally would not work with burlap. It's such a mess to deal with and I'm highly allergic to it that it wouldn't be worth dealing with at any cost.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that info, justgotta, and I am very sorry to hear about your FIl. Ours passed away in an accident several years ago and I know the shock took a while to wear off. I will be thinking of you and your family.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I'm sure you're not really up for DIY projects right now, but this looks simple enough. Maybe your DH could do it with guidance from you.

Here is a link that might be useful: No sew console skirt - Little Green Notebook

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am def not up for any DIY, bbstx... Even on my good days I am not a competent DIYer and DH is even less so.. Interesting site though, and good to know we could do something easy if the table cover takes longer than the table to make. Thanks!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thank you for your condolences. My own Mom went suddenly. It's the hardest way to lose someone, as you have no time to prepare. Not that one is ever completely prepared for losing a loved one.
    I'm not sure you're wise to try and wean yourself off the prescription meds so soon. Our bodies heal faster when pain free. Though I'm with you on hating to take prescription, or any kind of pain meds unless I have to. I pray you heal quickly.

• clt3
    9 years ago

I've made stuff like that myself, so I can't help with the price. A suggestion on painkillers though - I had surgery a couple of years ago and the painkillers made me violently sick all day so I only took them once. A week later I read that a study showed a combination of extra strength Tylenol plus ibuprofen was shown to be just as effective.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

Rotator cuff surgery? Do you have a nice recliner to lie in? It keeps your shoulder and arm in a proper position with less strain. Easier than trying to prop on pillows. I slept in one for 14 weeks following surgery, and almost did not want to go back to a bed!

I hope you heal quickly and your shoulder is eventually as good as new.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately we do not have a recliner :-( I am making do with a sofa and very strategically placed pillows. I cannot sleep more than a few hours at a time yet because of the pain, so I am repositioning when I get up to take medication. Fourteen weeks, hmmm? Maybe I should buy a recliner and sell it after I am better.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Oxycodone has no antiiflammatory properties so it is not addressing one of the sources of the pain. Opioid analgesics essentially work my not making you care as much about the pain.

Some studies have shown that 2400 mg per day of ibuprofen is more effective than some of the less potent opioid analgesics for inflammation associated pain so you may want to take ibuprofen.

In terms of the tailored table cloth, here, something like that would cost several hundreds of dollars.

• User
    9 years ago

clt3 is close...it is called a " pain cocktail " and you take 2 ASA, 2 Ibuprofen, 2 Tylenol...every 6 hrs. They work together ( potentiate ) ...it will be more effective as pal points out than any narcotic. You need to get to the heart of the pain which is inflammation. You are looking at 6 months recovery...if you do everything that is required as far as PT when it is prescribed. I opted to not have the surgery...complete tear of the labrum...that was my first rotator tear. My own version of PT found on the web and in 3 months I was more than 50%. I have had 3 more over the years ( I love to mountain bike) and each has healed with glucosamine chondroitin and judicious PT . I can't suggest strongly enough that you get on gluc/cond asap . Tendons and ligaments respond exceptionally well to this combo. Good Luck. It takes a lot of time and attention but you will be 100 % . c

Here is a link that might be useful: pain cocktail

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Since we have morphed into shoulder advice (some of which I'll be taking to try to avoid surgery), let me share my observations. Two of my employees had to have shoulder surgery. "A" did his exercises religiously, even though it was not his happiest time of the day. "B" didn't because it hurt. Guess who had the better outcome? When the going gets tough, remember your GW community is pulling for you!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the good shoulder advice , everyone! I have long been a proponent of alternating OTC pain medications as narcotics just make me sicker :-). Have to be careful with dosages of some because of other cardiac meds. Luckily I have in house help with this kind of thing.

Pt starts in near future and I will be swimming at home for rehab also. We just have to get a new cover for the swim spa (swimming against current) that I can remove myself. Working on that now too.

***GWers know everything about everything***

That sounds like a good t shirt for us !

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

If I were asked to make this in my Etsy shop, I would charge $65 to make it, yet would strongly suggest NOT to use burlap. Burlap is the devil to work with and not recommended because of itâÂÂs fraying tendencies, itâÂÂs horrible odor and the fact that it canâÂÂt be washed. I often charge double my normal fee to work with burlap because of this, and because all seams need to be serged to prevent them from unraveling. Usually I just turn down any requests for burlap items entirely.

Hope youâÂÂre mending well and feeling better soon!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for those comments about burlap, nanny and justgotta. I will abandon burlap for linen, if necessary. We were going to use the same avocado green as the swivel chairs in the other room and that will comprise two of three pillows on each daybed. BUT, I have changed gears with the stair runner and am now using a heavy duty sisal (not wool) in a beautiful green the same color as the avocado fabric. I am thinking that, even for me, this might constitute green overkill.

So my other choices are the paisley--- which has a light background, and I want this corner table to really anchor the beds, iykwim, or the tartan, or something else entirely that looks good also with the GOLD mattresses.

Any suggestions? In the interest of time I am having the table and roman cover made locally, so I am On My Own for the fabric unless I use the Hines tartan. ID is coming in the second weekend of June for the install. The week before that I have a retreat for non-profit arts board members, and the weekend before that a family wedding in Florida. So, basically, a week and a half to finish this all up. I am starting to feel like those crazy people working against the clock on HGTV..... You know, the ones who redecorate a house while the owners are out to dinner, lol?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!