Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chijim

Trad home in the new AD

chijim
11 years ago

An Elegant New York Farmhouse by Gil Schafer

From its Federal-style wing to its neo-Victorian carriage barn, a new home in Dutchess County blends a century of American country heritage into a single transcendent whole

Jim

{{!gwi}}

Comments (39)

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops...The front.

• natal
    11 years ago

Beautiful home! That's a lot of meatballs in the yard.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That is so unfair of you to post that! I am drooling and completely overtaken with envy.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

When can I move in? I love it.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The level of attention to small detail is what got me: the blind on the arched window in the striped bedroom that is integrated into a slot in the window frame, the small jib cabinet in the bathroom, the correctness of all the proportions.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I love everything about it except for the painting over the sofa in the living room!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

It is lovely. And the partidges made me laugh!

Once the trees mature for a few decades it's going to be even better.

Thanks for sharing chijim.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Oh, that's Walton Ford. He riffs on Audubon.

From his gallery:

"Walton Ford's monumental watercolors expand the visual language and narrative scope of traditional natural history painting, meditating on the often violent and bizarre moments at the intersection of human culture and the natural world. Although human figures rarely appear in his paintings, their presence is always implied."

And a statement by Ford:

"What I'm doing with my paintings," Ford says, "is building a sort of cultural history of the way animals live in the human imagination."

• PRO
    11 years ago

Pal, thanks for the heads up re Walton Ford. What a hoot his work is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ha!

• awm03
    11 years ago

Spectacular. I love the dining room best -- the wallpaper & orange curtains. Did you notice the ceilings were left plain & white?

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Fabulous house! Perfect example of today's casual /elegant aspirational lifestyle abode.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I love the shutters...the stone...the porch.

Also, the pale pink in the bathroom is lovely.

I have finally stopped drooling, but I keep coming back just to sigh over the entire place. Oh, and I love the Ford painting.

• ellie45
    11 years ago

How smart of you palimpsest to notice the small jib cabinet in the bathroom. Didn't know that was what it was called. Gosh you're good.

I love the chandelier in the dining room. Is that a transitional/modern piece? Also, the rug in the sitting room is so colorful and sporty. Why do we see these awful paintings of birds fighting? Must we? It is definitely a man thing.

It is a special home that should be kept in the family if the owners have good fortune and I hope they do whomever they are.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

First, what is a jib cabinet?

Second, I hadn't noticed the ceilings on first glance, but on second look I don't care for the stark whiteness of them, except the porch with bead board.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

A jib is a hidden door, one that is treated the same way as the walls, without trim; usually with concealed hinges and minimal hardware, to deemphasize its presence.

One of the quotes from the architect regarding this house is

"True authenticity is a lack of perfection."

--the imperfections must be awfully subtle.

• Yorkies2
    11 years ago

I love the painting of the Cassowaries. I'll never have a home with walls and ceilings big and high enough, but it looks wonderful in that setting.

• birdgardner
    11 years ago

Nothing says traditional like cassowaries trying to disembowel each other. Nothing else says come in, sit down, relax in quite the same way.

• pudgeder
    11 years ago

LOL @ Birdgardner!!

I could live there... that's for certain.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I would replace that painting with real Audubons. The Ford tries too hard to be ironic.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Eh, a lot of Audubon's works are pretty violent, too. I wonder if it had been a genuine Audubon what the reaction would be.

The main difference in the Ford paintings seems to be the implied human presence. His birds are fighting on what appears to be someone's manicured lawn, instead of in the wild.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Oooo, what a lovely place. Thank you for sharing it.

I could live there happily but I would never use the living room with that bird attack painting. Whimsical or ironic or whatever Ford is doing, I find it too unsettling in such a large size. I wouldn't replace it with an Audubon attack painting either. It appears there are plenty of other rooms for me to spend my time in, when I'm not on the porch enjoying the outside views, meatballs and all.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Lovely house! Do not like the huge painting of fighting birds in that serene elegant room ... it truly dominates the feeling in the whole space ... just my opinion ....

In the dining room -- I would have like to have seen a larger longer floral centerpiece ...

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I can appreciate the bird painting, but I am another who doesn't like it there. The room is so serene- the painting seems jarring. A picture of beautiful birds doing something pleasant would be perfect, IMHO. But I guess the one that's there is more dynamic, thought-provoking, or ??

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Nice house, but the confluent green excrescence covering the front is ugly.

It looks like a large colony of mutant slime mold.

and those cassowaries have to go.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Breathtaking! Awe-inspiring! AND...I also could do with a fewer "meatballs" in the front landscape, and above all, I agree those who find the Dueling Bird Art unsettling. Im sure it's museum quality art, but such an image can only invite discord and disruption into a home. That's my Feng-Shui take on it, and I'm sticking with it.

Otherwise...ooh and ahhh...perfection!

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That Walton Ford painting in the LR is 5'x10'

That's clipped boxwood in the front of the hse,

Gil Shafer the architect also did the ID in the hse above, usually he works with Miles Redd.

Some of his other work--his Hudson Valley home.
    ID by Miles Redd

NY Apt

W/Miles Redd

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I've seen cassowaries in the zoo, and they are horrible. Remind me of a sci-fi movie I saw when I was a kid, with scientists fighting carnivorous reptile-like birds on a deserted island. Ironic, my Aunt Fanny. Never!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

It sure is easy to see the dinosaur/bird genetic connection in those cassowaries!

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

I love it. The art too. I'm not sure I'd run out and buy it, but it is very cool.

Beth P.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

It's not the violence of the painting, per se, although I wouldn't want that in my living room either---Walton OR Audubon. The colors in the Walton are particularly gaudy.

Love that house with the pumpkin color in one of the rooms....yummy!

• PRO
    11 years ago

I don't know....without the Ford the room is just another lovely and well done traditional room.

Imo, just like people with an interesting dimension to their personality that is not right on the surface, every home needs one or two things that makes you want to dig a little deeper.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I hate those people. ;)

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I love the painting!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Inspiring photos. Much to learn from them. Oh and to drool over. Thanks for posting.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I just can't take my eyes off that last pic! What a gorgeous stairwell! It's riveting. Features such wonderful details...rich teal wall color, shadow stripes, well worn rugs, old wood floors, and the curvy, graceful elegance of the banister! What a work of art. Swoon!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I'm one of those people who ignores most decorating "rules" so it's fun to see a few little rules broken here and there. Just little stuff.

Again, I love the layered look!

• Susan
    11 years ago

mmm, gorgeous---i'd love to live in the hudson valley in a home like that.
    of course the stables would have an equivalent level of elegance,lol.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Wonderful. I think the boxwood is fantastic.