Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdbrya1_gw

Would you change the exterior color of this house?

rdbrya1
9 years ago

Please excuse the junk (we do not close on this home until May 29th so this is the old owners junk! - Sorry I know its hard to look past it :-(

Anyway, do you think the white shutters, door, siding look okay or do you think there is another color that would look better. We plan to repaint anyway since the paint is in bad condition. Thanks so much for your opinion :-)

Comments (15)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Definitely would. It's hard to see clearly what is the siding on the home. It looks like masonry of some sort. When you get into the house and can take some close ups of the house too, that would help. I'm also not sure which are windows or doors. Looks like windows with full length shutters even though the windows only go halfway down, is that right? or am I seeing screens on the bottom of the windows? I can't tell what would be a good color yet. But the white I think has a negative effect on the front of your house.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd probably paint the white bits a pretty light taupe that blends well with the brick. Congratulations on your new home!!

• rdbrya1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know I'm having a really hard picking a color. Everything is full length windows except for the one solid white door in the middle. I feel like the white just washes everything out but with such a light colored brick I can't seem to envision any other color. Thanks very much for both of your input, hopefully we can close soon and I can get some closer pics. I am very excited to change the colors!

• chispa
    9 years ago

I would remove the long shutters and install some wider trim around the windows.

Personally I really dislike large trees right next to a house, so I would also take down the tree. If that isn't possible (due to tree ordinances) I would hire a good tree trimming company to thin, prune and shape it up.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

A taupey gray might look nice for some contrast with the brick...then a color for the front door pulled from the brick...too hard to see all the colors in the brick from this picture. Nice house!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest that other alternatives to the long shutters might be worth considering. I was also wondering if something could be done to define the front door area more. Maybe some kind of small overhang over the door.

I'm looking and looking at the photo and I just thought maybe on the left side of the house, there is white siding, is that right? and the right side has the masonry? I think it has a lot of vertical lines to the front and it is a little confusing.

That tree in the front is really close to the house and I would wonder if it could come down in a storm onto your roof. When you can, maybe you know someone who is a tree expert that could evaluate the tree for you, to make sure it is healthy and stable. Also be sure to check with your home owner's insurance company about what their coverage is for a tree falling on your house.

Would enjoy seeing photos as you go along, of the changes you make.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Where are you located?

I like the white shutters, but would definitely add color to the door and to the landscaping. Beyond that, I would want to know what is going on at that left corner of the house (behind the pickup) and to the right of the pickup before you get to the windows and door. Those are two large areas and I can't tell what's going on there and they might need some different attention.

Ignoring those two areas for the moment, the white shutters could look very nice and the overall look very cool and refreshing (appeals in Texas in the summer), but most of what I'm picturing changing is the door and landscaping with a lot of variation in foliage color and textures (grey greens, light green, lime green, some purples even) and white blossoms -- maybe some pinks or purples. I'd think about a green or plum on the door.

If you want more change, look at your brick for cues. It looks like the brick has a lot of pink or peach to it and you can generally go into the greens with pinks and reds. If not a green or white, I'd look at the darker tones in your brick mix for clues -- I'm thinking more grey than taupe, but a deeper tone somewhere in that range. Regardless of your paint color or colors, with all those other vertical lines, I'd do something different on your door so that it stands out.

• rdbrya2
    9 years ago

It is located in Central Louisiana :) Thanks for the suggestions, I am definitely liking the idea of bringing some color into the door.

Yes that is all siding on the left hand side and brick everywhere else. I am hoping to get to ride by again soon to get some closer pictures and I'll definitely post back and update everyone on progress!

• carolssis
    9 years ago

It looks like the shutters are attached to the brick. I wonder why. I would remove them completely is they are attached to the brick. I think I'd use a light color like a beige or light brown for the siding, then use a color like burnt orange for the door. Some kind of entry area or sidewalk to the front door would also help define it, make it easier to see. One of the things I've seen here, the sidewalk is made wider at the top of the walk as it reaches the door. I like that idea, because we have 5 arched windows and the doorway, so at first glance it's hard to see the door, it's inset 3 feet. Widening the walk is a real good way to make it different. Get us a closer photo, please. It looks real nice and congratulations on your new home!

• amh615
    9 years ago

I think a taupe wall with black shutters would be great, or a stone/tan with blue or dark red shutters. The brick is sort of busy so a clean/classic combination of two other colors would look nice.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like KSWL suggestion of taupe but I also think black shutters would look wonderful, with a bright color for the door. You have a nice home to work with and once you put your choices in play it will be really lovely. Congrats!

• rdbrya2
    9 years ago

I would have never in a million years picked black shutters, but I am definitely going to try it :-) When I can get some closer pictures I am going to mock some of these colors you suggested in Photoshop and post back :) Hoping to close on May 29th.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Best wishes to you! I'm anxious to see your follow up pics.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i love the full length windows and shutters! i would definitely do the shutters a different color from the siding and door. i love black shutters, but would probably look at a more charcoal color for your house too--- darker, but less stark than black, since your roof is lighter too. i would keep the siding light, tho not white- light gray/tan/taupe. not sure what i would do with your door... since the windows are asymetrical, i don't know if a different colored door would accentuate that or not- would have to see mockups!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I definitely would use paint to try to unify the house. If you look from left to right, it's almost like an ombre effect....mostly white, then white with a little brick, then brick with a little white then all brick.

I agree about making the front door more outstanding too.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!