Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

RH coverlet -- beautiful . . . and disappointing

violetwest
9 years ago

You know I love my linen sheets and bedding; bought from Restoration Hardware and from Rough Linen. The sheets are maaaaarvelous!

BUT . . . I bought a quilted linen coverlet in a beautiful dark purple color for my king sized bed from RH. It's lovely. It's heavy. It's not warm. AND . . .

the darn thing is too big to fit in my washing machine, and therefore is pretty useless. SO . ..

my options are:
1) Take it to the laundromat and wash it -- and never use it again
2) Take it to the seamstress and have her cut it in half and use for smaller bed coverings
3) Sell it.

Waaaa!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, May 23, 14 at 12:59

Comments (38)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Why not have it laundered professionally and take it off the bed at night

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Option 4:

Buy a bigger washer :)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

How often do you want to wash it ? KS coverlets are generally too big to fit in the average washer .

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah, but a bigger washer won't fit in my house.

As for taking it off -- I'm not sure of the logic in that suggestion. I don't think it will help, because the dark cloth attracts cat hair, lint, and dust, on or off the bed.

bah!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, as I said it attracts stuff. My cats sleep on it. We have dust. I mean DUST! (living on a construction zone in the desert).

I don't need to launder it too often, but . . I want to wash it when I want to wash it! And not have to cart the thing off to an inconvenient laundromat.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Depends how much you spent on it. I too would not want anything I had to cart off to wash. I have cats and dust in my house and couldn't handle any diva bedding that needed special treatment.

Is it worth paying someone to cut it into two smaller pieces? Can you use them? Will they look okay? I don't think Option #1 is very satisfying. You buy it and pay to clean it and then never use it again. I think selling it makes more sense.

• kitchenwitch
    9 years ago

I put my quilts in the dryer on no heat to get cat hair and dust off them. If it isn't really dirty, you don't have to actually wash it too often.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I took my KS quilt to the laundramat until I got a big washer.....Took it to the laundramat and then brought it home and dried it outside on the patio. Only had to do it spring and fall.....no problem at all. If you have pets that like to lay on your quilt.....put a sheet over it and wash the sheet often.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I have a KS coverlet that *barely* fits into my front loader washing machine, and it's a bear to dry, as well. If it didn't, I wouldn't be inclined to keep it. We don't allow our dog on the bed, but nonetheless, it manages to get dirty.

However, if you love yours (and it sounds like you do), I recommend just getting into the routine of taking it to the cleaners (a laundry service) about once a month, or as needed. I wouldn't be inclined to go sit at a laundromat and wait for it to wash and dry. However, you could drop it off at the cleaners...

Try this routine for a few months and see if it's worth it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What kitchen witch said.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't imagine how long it would take to dry, sheesh!

I will try the dryer thing.

Won't try covering it with a sheet, since it's mainly for looks and would defeat the purpose.

I probably could use it cut in half for other bedding -- will think on it.

Just frustrated because it was expensive and pretty, but turned out to to be impractical. I hate having things that don't "work" for me.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

And, you can't return it?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I can return it after using it all winter and spring, no.

• probookie
    9 years ago

If you can afford to lose 4 or so inches of width, you could cut it in half and then sew buttonholes along one edge and buttons along the other. If the buttons look nice, use it button-side up; otherwise, use the plain side. You can wash each half separately.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That sounds like a neat idea, probookie!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very clever! we'll see

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I have a King thick comforter that I only use in the winter that does not fit in my heavy duty machine. I take it to the local Laundromat in the spring when I switch to a lighter weight comforter and wash it in their very heavy-load front load washer. I usually bring it home to dry; a few days ago I laundered it and dried it there. Just took me a book to read while waiting.

I have also freshened it up in the dryer to get dust out of it...usually throw a Downy sheet in with it.

I also do my drapes and decorative pillows that way (occasionally).

• Oakley
    9 years ago

What you could do is wash it in the bathtub. For drying you can lay it on a sheet outside to get the excess moisture out, then pop it in the dryer! If it fits. :)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

There is a laundromat near out house, and that is the only way I can wash our queen comforter (or my car cover) is to use the largest front loader. I can fit it in our dryer if I turn it every few min. The laundromat dryers run too hot.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

This is the second or third time I've encountered this kind of question--and am perplexed. I suspect anyone who owns a computer and is involved in purchasing a house and intends to decorate it can afford $25 bucks to get their bedspread drycleaned. Why deal with washing such an unwieldy piece when you can drop it off at the cleaners?

• peegee
    9 years ago

Vedazu, maybe I'm more sensitive than most, but I would never be interested in dry cleaning-smell or chemicals on my bedding. But then, I never buy any clothing except coats that are actually dry cleaning only. Ever. I don't like the concept nor the cost nor the inconvenience. It's not about not having the money, although I imagine for many on a fixed income those $25. expenditures add up.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Our dry cleaners told me they don't do comforters. Now, if you could find a commercial laundry, that would be different.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's not about the money for having it cleaned, although it's a hassle. I have a wool blanket, for instance, that I do have professionally cleaned seasonally.

However . . . my main beef is that it's pretty, but not functional. It's too heavy to be comfortable and not warm at night. It looks pretty on my bed, but that's about it. Yes, I can get it cleaned, and yes, I could put it in the dryer, etc. But I can't shake the feeling it's not the right cover for my bed in a way that makes me happy for every day use.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:10

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Violet, you've confirmed what I've been thinking all along. Who needs it? Certainly not you. All it has going for it is pretty. It gets dirty and it's a hassle to clean. It's heavy. Ugh, nuts to that. It's not even good at keeping you warm. Find something else that looks good and isn't a prima donna. Sell it (I wouldn't think you'd get much for used bedding), or give it away.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think what I've decided to do (sooner or later) along with . . . ahem . . . the OTHER RH linen bedding item I'm not satisfied with . . . is to refashion them into bedding for twin beds in my "guest" room.

That is, I have an extra room that I've been intending to put beds into, which is now just empty with junk in it, which will need bedding. And this other thing is a mauve "orchid" color linen duvet, which has also been banished because of being too large and heavy. Not having had a king sized bed in a long time, I'm not sure I really understood what I was getting with the bedding.

So -- I'll take it to a seamstress (or package it up and send it to my seamstress daughter to do), and split the purple coverlet in two; and take apart the duvet and have the two parts seamed on all sides, and use those for additional bedding.

They really are lovely fabric pieces, and I'd rather repurpose them in a way I can use than sell them or give them away. I'll let you know if/when I do this. Thanks for letting me express my disappointment!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Do some measuring before you take scissors to it. A king size coverlet may not be wide enough to make two twin size ones.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that's good advice - will do.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I never use my comforter or spread to actually sleep with. I roll it down to the bottom of the bed before sleeping. That way it stays clean. If it's cold, I will add on a down comforter or throw (something I can wash).

• mdrive
    9 years ago

violet.west:

"However . . . my main beef is that it's pretty, but not functional. "

three words:

form follows function

any bed covering that it so much trouble and aggravation for cleaning isn't a viable option...

i see this all the time with textiles....

eye candy? to be sure....but you have to LIVE with these items every day....no way i would put something on my bed that wasn't easily washable ...i'm a clean freak when it comes to bedding...so if it isn't easily washable, it isn't going on the bed!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I entirely agree.

I just didn't realize at first this wouldn't function; which is why I'm leaning toward either adapting it for better use or chucking it.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I've been doing this by just filling a plastic one gallon water container and adding it right into the dispenser drawer.

Here is a link that might be useful. A youtube video by Clean Team NY

Here is a link that might be useful: Washing my king size comforter - YouTube

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that makes no sense. I'm not clicking that link!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Find a throw in a contrasting color or in the same color hue for the cats to lie on. Since I put one on the bed the cats never sleep on the duvet. It's crazy, but it seems they know it's for them to sleep on, or maybe it's more comfy and soft. Give that a try!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

The link is safe to click on - I watched it. The guy is adding extra water to his front load washing machine in order to wash and rinse a king size comforter.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, I see. brave person! But I don't think that will help if I can't fit the darn thing in there in the first place!

it's funny how cats like the texture of certain things, isn't it?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:19

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I think I have this same quilt from RH. I also have one of the blankets and two sets of their sheets. I love them all. But I think the quilt may have shrunk in the dryer so be careful. LOL since I dont make my bed I dont really care too much. I do love their bed and bath linens though.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I take my heavy down comforter to the cleaners each year. I have them wash it. I do not like dry cleaning chemicals plus they damage down over time. Most dry cleaners wash things. My husbands dress shirts get washed, not dry cleaned.

I pay $35.00 a year for cleaning the king comforter and they store it for me until October. I originally paid over $200.00+ years ago for it. It is well worth the $30.00 a year for cleaning and storing. I live in Florida now and most people think we're crazy using a big down comforter, but I love it although it usually spends most of the winter folded down at the foot of the bed. But there are some chilly nights...

Jane

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

It's sort of like a curly Poodle, absolutely no shedding of course. I could picture it dyed a purple color!!

Here is a link that might be useful: throw