Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

First time poster--floor advice

pbl_ge
11 years ago

Hi All,

We bought couches based on comfort and length, for my 6'4" husband. We didn't think through decorating around them, and have discovered that dark brown is a tough color for couches for those of us who like hardwood floors. Right now the large room (den) they're in has brownish berber carpet, which we'd like to replace. The whole room right now is sepia-toned, which we don't like, so we're trying to think of non-carpet, non-wood options (e.g., high quality tile) that will brighten the place up and make it look less brown scale. We'll also be putting a wood stove in the same room. Any ideas?

Here are the couches. Don't have a handy photo of the room, but can upload if helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark brown couches

Comments (13)

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

Welcome to GW pbl ge! The couch is very nice. I like the style and fabric. A picture of the room would really be helpful though.

• User
    11 years ago

You could do wood floor but have a colourful area rug to brighten the room.

• francypants
    11 years ago

I think a wood floor could still work. The trick would be to get one with contrasting planks.

Link has examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: [flooring[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/your-floors-zebra-tiger-and-teak-wood-oh-my-stsetivw-vs~597022)

• User
    11 years ago

We have a sectional in a similar color and wood floors. I plan on laying a nice rug down for color and to break it up a bit but would never ever trade my wood floors for tile. The wood adds warmth to the room and is easy not only to care for but to walk on.

• pbl_ge
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I really like some of those photos. I always wonder if the feel of sitting in a room (and this is one of our favorite sitting areas in the house) is similar to what gets captured in a fancy professional photo. But your point is appreciated, nonetheless.

Here are some pics. (Disclaimer: We have definitely not done much in the way of decorating, and the things on the wall are kind of tossed up there without thinking of the placements as permanent.) It's a difficult room to photograph, particularly in daylight, but here are a couple of angles:

(Not sure why the walls look pink here. It's all off white.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We have a dark brown sofa in our family room. We went with amtico tile that looks like rosewood hardwood floor and then put a patterned area rug on top to make a grouping with the credenza. Amtico is very expensive....more expensive than hardwood...so you can go with hardwood or a cushioned vinyl that has a wood look. Also, I love cork flooring as an alternative which would look great with a brown sofa.

In our room, the colors are all golds and off whites with copper accents.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Go with hardwood flooring....it will be great A wood floor of the tone of the coffee table with the Atlantic Monthly will be warm and cozy.
    If you need some other tones think green plants, brass accents...Not new bright made in India stuff!
    Put some stuff on the shelves that are not books...bits of pottery....brass this and that....maybe a small framed picture...
    Oh yes and consider getting a yellow tiger striped cat too!! ;-Q

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Don't you just love that "Can a person get some PRIVACY around here!!??" look...

Another vote for hardwood in a warm mid-tone, and a zippy area rug.

I'd put your end table somewhere else, put a swing arm floor lamp there toward the back corner of the sofa, and move that wonderful safe in front of the lamp to use as the end table.

Then I'd move the Windsor chair around to sit beside your school desk, and hang the mirror that is now over your other sofa over the two of them, but keep it much lower - about 6" higher than the desk top. (You can move the chair when you are actually using the desk.)

I'd tidy up the bookcases, add some photos or pottery or ironstone or brass things or any combination thereof here and there.

Then I'd put a long galvanized or copper plant tray filled with pebbles on the top of the bookcase and set lush plants in it, to take advantage of all that nice light, and warm up the wall and the room.

I'd find a pair of big tall vertical prints you really like (repros of old travel posters, or beautiful black and white photographs, or botanicals, or whatever you are fond of), hang them side by side where the mirror is now, also much lower, with a pair of swing-arm lamps beside them.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Also voting for hardwood and an area rug. We have white oak with no stain and a satin finish and it would be perfect with your couch. It is a little lighter than your coffee table, I think.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We have wood floors and very dark brown leather sofa and chair. We used a long pile off white rug to provide contrast (Ikea rug). Our fireplace wall is painted a warm red (Mexicana) and the rest of the walls are warm white (Mascarpone).

• mpmg46
    11 years ago

What about a light colored bamboo floor? But since you'd said initially you didn't want a wood floor, depending upon where you are in the country, 12 x 12 tiles in a lighter tan color may work as well. In FL, they are very common.

Any thoughts on wall color or are you sticking with the off white? That will change the look quite a bit, if you go with color. Lovely couches by the way!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We have a sectional from them in our family room in the same fabric as yours.

We put down plank vinyl flooring that looks great and wears like iron yet is soft and warm under foot unlike tile. It's Amtico which is very expensive, but I believe there are other manufacturers out there now of similar quality for less.

• avesmor
    11 years ago

We didn't think through decorating around them, and have discovered that dark brown is a tough color for couches for those of us who like hardwood floors.

I have dark brown couches on hardwood and have no problems. I never considered it without an area rug, though. I don't have great pics, but here's an idea. I'd say our wood is finished a light medium brown. Couches are leather-look microfiber.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor