Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Shabby Chic Circus Shower ideas?

ttodd
12 years ago

I've volunteered to help a friend w/ a baby shower for her SIL and my brain is fried w/ work and kids and I can't think. Time frame is too short for me. 2 weeks. Even worse my friend just had a baby 1 week ago and she's expected to throw a baby shower in 2 weeks for her SIL! WTH?!

Any thoughts, ideas, pics?

Right now my only thought is popcorn! What the heck does a shabby chic circus even look like!!!!!

I'm the decorator and my friend is the computer person that can do signs and stuff from sites that offer free printable graphics and stuff.

TIA for any ideas.

Comments (12)

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Maybe vintage circus?

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage circus

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Yup, I was also thinking old fashioned or vintage, kind of nostalgic.
    Circus: clowns, carousels, cotton candy, elephants.

since you are the decorator, are you looking more for themed table decor,
    food presentation? , I'm thinking huge bouquets of balloons could be fun.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

Vintage circus makes more sense. Why only 2 weeks to plan this? Have the invitations gone out already?

• riosamba
    12 years ago

Oldagebra on the holiday forum set up a circus party for her grandchildren. Maybe her photos can give you a little inspiration. She also did some cute food.

Pottery Barn's party book has a circus party as well, which my friend copied for a birthday party. Draping a prominent area to look like the interior of a fabric tent (or use the rolls of table cover from party store if you want to keep the expenditure down) and having a roll of tickets will go a long way towards the theme, I think. There should be oodles of free vintage clip art out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oldalgebra's Circus

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I had a very cute and witty response with lots of logical thoughts all typed out. Then my computer froze. So, now I'm home, and here's my only suggestion:

If there will be a "signature" drink at the event (and it sounds like at least YOU will need one) consider a cotton candy martini or cosmo. I'm sure they can be made without any of the fun in the recipe too.

google the recipe.

And besides having Rachel Ashwell show up dressed as a clown to serve those drinks, I'm at a loss

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys have been a great help. Why is it that sometimes your brain literally freezes. Not in fear or anything. Just suddenly you can't think. Of anything except maybe your name.

I know she rented a machine (forget if she said popcorn or cotton candy). I love the Cotton Candy Martini!

I pitched the Vintage Circus (so much easier to work w/!) and I think that's perfect. Easy food for us to make (hot dogs, burgers etc....) and set it all out on my ironstone collections. They carry pretty paper table cloths now at Party City so a bit of subtle mix and match there.

It'll be on the patio so I'm thinking string twinkle lights back and forth overhead.

Cupcakes w/ animal crackers standing on top?

Thanks for the kick in the pants! Your ideas have me rolling along again!

• User
    12 years ago

Here is a darling kit for a circus cake:

{{!gwi}}

This and other cute, circusy stuff is at Fancy Flours, link below. They have the greatest holiday stuff ever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy Flours circus theme

• B H
    12 years ago

Have you checked out http://www.hwtm.com/ ? She has some fabulous ideas including a vintage circus theme that you could easily add some shabby chic elements to.

• B H
    12 years ago

http://bellagracepartydesigns.blogspot.com/2010/08/real-party-vintage-circus-baby-shower.html

If you google and take a look at the images, you'll find a lot of great ideas. Have fun!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I would somehow use vintage circus posters like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Circus Posters

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

If you're looking for graphics, go to the forums at Digishoptalk.com and ask for kits for vintage circus... there have to be some out there!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I hope this all comes together in such a short period of time!