Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

My great room looks like a play room!

ajc9
11 years ago

Helo all!

We moved into our new home last year and I have yet to decorate much. One room I'd like to begin with is our great room...I basically have a sofa and toys everywhere!

What color would you accent with Copley gray BM (link below)?

Any advice on some cool baskets to use for dd's toys? She actually doesn't have a ton...but enough that it makes it feel cluttered. I saw some at Serena and lily but they are pricey and I'm not sure how long I will really need them...

My grandpa is making a wooden table and chairs set I'm super pumped about. Something that might go better upstairs in her 'playroom' but I think I will incorporate it in the great room with a cool rug underneath. Other than that..no plans.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Copley gray

Comments (7)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

For Copley gray, BM recommends 1062 baked cumin and 2017-70 white vanilla
    -or-
    1476 squirrel tail and 2143-50 old prairie

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, LuAnn!

I just realized I provided a link to rockport gray (used in other rooms...similar to Copley). Anyway, I forgot about that feature on BM's site. Thank you! I like the vanilla to brighten things up...

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I'd look for baskets that aren't "kiddie" style so you can use them for other things (and/or other rooms) later. Target is my go-to store for baskets but Pottery Barn has great ones too (though much more expensive).

• vanillafields
    11 years ago

Congrats on your move! Decorating 'from scratch' is lots of fun but can easily get overwhelming :). We moved from a small apartment to a 3 story home few months ago and it's still work in progress.. My big and long living room is slowly being taken over by toys as well.. They seem to multiply faster than rabbits :O. I utilized the bottom 2 shelves of a plain white bookcase (Billy from Ikea), I put two of Target brown fabric bins at the bottom (filled with stuffed animals and lighter plastic 'junk') and a few books and 2 smaller rattan baskets filled with blocks and small dollhouse accessories on the next shelf. The rest of bookcase is my books and picture frames (it's great to hide eg markers and playdough and paint behind the books too ;)).
    I'm also planning to get a cube storage unit (Expedit from Ikea too), it's deeper than the bookcase and doesn't scream 'kids', I'll put her toys into bins or baskets so they're not out in the open... When she grows, I can always fill it with books, games, knicknacks like frames and vases as well...

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Also, don't be afraid to "rotate" the toys. If you have, blocks, legos, and lincoln logs for example, they are all 3-dimensional manipulative toys. So have 1 out, and the other two put up away, and switch them out every week or 2. This avoids the chore of sorting out the legos from the blocks. Same idea with sorting toys, imaginative play toys, and puzzles.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

If you have the space for it and most of her toys would fit, I'd try a dresser with drawers. Closed storage is wonderful. My DH lacks a tool chest and keeps leaving his tools all over the house.. one craigslist dresser later and I have order! I put it behind the sofa and it also holds two lamps, a picture frame, and a vase on top.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great ideas!!

Vanillafields...we are in a similar situation in that we basically quadrupled our size of home last year! Everything is so bare. It's fun to start from scratch but overwhelming indeed. I'm a terrible decision maker I think bc I buy once and use things until they fall apart...;).

Love the rotation of toys idea...she really doesn't need this many on the main floor...she's mostly into cupboards and whining on my leg at this stage vs quietly playing w her toys;)

Also...agreed on target being a good source....I just need to go there alone...she's a tough one to take out;)

Closed storage...for sure the best! I loooove the chests at restoration hardware...too much $ to use for toys, though....

Thank you, thank you!