Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

X-post, tiny fridge/no freezer kitchen

palimpsest
9 years ago

I looked at this house today. It's a mid 19th c. house, renovated in 1965 (glass back wall, catwalks, etc.--probably nothing salvageable at the time). Kitchen updated about 10 years ago and tiny powder room added (think airplane sized). It ate up some space in the already small kitchen.
There is an undercounter fridge. The full sized fridge is in the basement across the house and down a flight of steps. This photo exaggerates the width of the kitchen. Overall a nice house (and $1M+) but I would need to redo the kitchen to get in at least the 24'' Leibherr, --and lower the counters. They are all about 40.

Comments (15)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Seems like it definitely could have been configured for a cd or regular f/f, even if it was the smallest one they make, either in between the windows or where stove or even current fridge is. I wouldn't want just a small fridge like that even if I lived alone, not to mention having to drag stuff up from the basement all the time.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I should move there! I want refrigerator/freezer drawers (rather than a regular undercounter one) under my counters and would love 40" counters. I am 5'3" and on the rare occasions when I cook anymore, my back gets tired and I find myself leaning on the counter-40" would be better than my 36" ones, I think.

The view is pretty, too.

Cynthia,

• madeyna
    9 years ago

They may have gone with the under counter fridge because a tall one on the end would visually block the space. There are windows back in the corner so you couldn,t fit one in there.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

My pantry supplies are currently in the garage, some distance from the kitchen. So I could probably make this kitchen work. But I'd grumble a lot every time I forgot something for a recipe--much as I do now. And on non-company days, you would probably find a cooler box on the floor with oft-used items within handy reach.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I can't imagine choosing only an under counter refrigerator even if a full one would close in the room. In this case I'd go with function over looks.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Isn't that the norm in Europe, without an extra refrigerator anywhere else?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

My daughter's yoga instructor has a lovely little colonial home. Her kitchen only has refrigerator drawers. It is just her and her husband, and they tend to shop for fresh food every day, in the European fashion. For them it is perfectly fine (plus it makes her wonderful kitchen feel even more period).

For our family of five, it might be tricky. But if your fridge is like mine, a goodly amount of it is filled with things like the fig preserves I used in a recipe once, mustards we don't like, leftover something no one really wants to eay anyway, etc etc

The 40" thing is a bit odd; I may have to see how high that is (I'm 5'9' so I usually like extra tall stuff). But I think it looks odd the way it was done.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Did they put the range up on a four-inch platform? And the dishwasher?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes everything is up on a platform of about 3-4".
    They used a small fridge because they used the old fridge space (and some counterspace or maybe the entry closet) to squeeze in a powder room that opens to the vestibule. The powder room is probably less than 30" wide inside and there is possibly the 21" minimum in front of the toilet, partly shared with a small corner sink. It would certainly not be code compliant but they are pretty flexible with secondary bathrooms and powder rooms in particular around here because there is no room for expansion in these houses. I've seen new construction (within the shell of an old house) with toilets that have to be on 12" centers. 15" is technically code here and I know some places require 18". But sometimes you make do rather than having to go up a flight of stairs (or two) to get to a toilet.

I think at the time they renovated. there was not a full height 24" counter depth refrigerator readily available. There is an obvious seam in the granite above this fridge and I wonder if they did this so the counter could be popped out and a tall fridge added at a later date.

As for convenience. The owners are older, they were older when they renovated and we live in an area with two large grocery stores within blocks, several corner stores and a ton of restaurants. They may not feel the need to store a lot of food --although I would miss a freezer.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

would a fridge fit where the stove and microwave are then switch them to the side the fridge is on? I hate using our half fridge that sits on the floor in our camper.The things I always need are shoved in the back and I aways feel like I have to get on my hands and knees and dig for them

• lascatx
    9 years ago

You find some of the most interesting houses and potential projects......

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I agree about mini fridges --- but refrigerator drawers are terrific. They are IMHO the best way to store food.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

My rather large kitchen has two sets of double fridge drawers and a beverage refrigerator in the adjacent pantry. I'm mostly alone these days and am much happier having the extra counter space. Full (cheap) fridge a few steps away in the utility room for the times I need trays for parties refrigerated, or at holiday times. Refrigerator drawers are quite useful. I like the way it all works--for me. Not for large families, certainly.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the rest of the first floor, shot from the kitchen.
    It's a very 1960s approach, with the catwalks. The house gets a lot of light, because the upper rooms have windows that also open out into the atrium living room:

I think the railing is a bit awkward, but a function of the budget.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Is the location where you would have convenient access to grocers? And how much kitchen "stuff" do you have? I have about a dozen food sources within 2 miles, and I am lean in terms of what I keep in my kitchen. If this were mine, I would remove all uppers, European-style (especially those 2 between the windows). Install a larger sink. Whichever side (right or left) would best house the Liebherr would be opposite the range and open shelving. Or, side-by-side freezer and fridge drawers.

If the soffits can be removed, that's a bonus. But I would be approaching this with a "no uppers" design to keep the space open.