Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flymom65

What would you do to this diningroom?

flymom65
9 years ago

The chairs are new--replaced old bonded leather parsons chairs that were starting to peel. Plantation shutters are ordered and I am thinking of removing the curtains and having decorative molding added above the window. The rug is only about a year old and was fairly expensive so I hate to lose it. Let me rephrase that, DH would have a fit after I spent so much on it. It just doesn't seem quite pulled together or "there" yet. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments (20)

• madeyna
    9 years ago

You might want to try some color on the table. Maybe a bowl with red and orange balls in it

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'll make a few comments about what I see. Feel free to ignore as you wish.

The room is nice, I like the wall and drape color together.

The drapes are short...they should skim the floor.

The poppy picture, while lovely, doesn't seem to have the right colors in it for the rest of the room....it's more orange vs. red. You might want to swap it with the exterior scene on the other wall. I like not only the colors, but that it is framed. It seems a little large for the current space.

I think the rug is pretty and it goes well with the room and the drapes.

The chandy is hung too high...the bottom of the chandy should be 30" above the table and that will help fill the space.

I agree with madeyna that something more colorful and larger and softer on the table...like maybe a table runner...would be helpful.

The arrangement on the wall next to the window seems dark and too large for its space.

I'd think about a small color coordinating pillow to put on the dining chair in the corner...

This is the part of decorating that's fun...and you'll be amazed at how a tweak here and there can so change the feel of a room.

• Susan
    9 years ago

I agree it's lovely but missing something.
    I'm thinking texture or warmth somehow, maybe a couple of lush pillows on the chairs, or a great trim on the bottom of the drapes?
    but all i can really imagine right now are a couple of cats
    lounging in there.

This post was edited by fallingwaters on Fri, May 30, 14 at 15:38

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Just some suggestions to add some texture and contrast to the room to make it more interesting.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! What great suggestions. Bev, I actually looked at that mirror or Ballard's Garden District Mirrors, but for the wall with the poppy painting. When you enter into the foyer, you see what is displayed in the first picture. The light blocks the view of the picture as is and I was worried about that, LOL. I obviously have a lot to learn! What about artwork over the buffet and mirrors on the large wall? I love the larger sconces and like I said, I love the idea of mirrors but I have very similar mirrors in the living room and did not want to "overdo" with them. Do you think it would be okay to have them in both areas? As for pillows, what do you think of the following?

The curtains are PB and are their really dark red. Hard to find pillows with the deep red/maroon color.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

I agree with the suggestions thus far, and want to add that I really think the 4th pillow down would look very nice.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry, where do you need to put pillows? Don't think the chairs need them.

I would still recommend the mirror over the buffet and the sconces there too to create a grouping & light. Also it's a great way to serve on a buffet and have lit candles that don't take up any room on the buffet. I just grabbed any mirror to illustrate the point, but I would recommend a mirror which you cannot see yourself in. Something obscure because no one wants to watch themselves eat. You just want the sparkle for the room,..........not the reflection.

Then I would recommend a series of artworks for the other wall. To add texture and color.for that large one. One piece of art is not going to do it. Either a triptych or a series of botanicals or something similar.

Maybe large pomegranates on the table in a bowl. You need a much more dynamic chandelier in the room. Don't know what's going on in the rest of the home, but if I saw the buffet, or the foyer I might be able to recommend something.

• lala girl
    9 years ago

I definitely agree with all the other suggestions, especially with the drapes and the chandelier. It is probably my own bias but I think the room is lacking some character or patina. Everything looks like it was purchased at the same time so it comes off as a little generic - are there some funky older family pieces that you could put out or fall in love with at a local junk shop? I think some more texture and some aged, interesting pieces would elevate the room. I think a big ol' aged mirror would be fabulous - that's a great suggestion above. The room has great bones - it's almost there!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

What is the wall color?

Jane

• flymom65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall color is SW Ramie.

Been searching all day online for some accessories and paintings/mirrors to try out. Thanks for all the suggestions. By all means, keep them coming.

• joeymc96
    9 years ago

I agree with lowering the chandelier and I do like the idea of grouping botanical prints instead of the poppy painting. I don't think you need pillows, but I like many of the fabrics you picked. Maybe you could use a similar printed fabric and have a panel of print added to the top of your drapes to lengthen them.

• amykath
    9 years ago

The first thing that stick out to me is the chandelier. I would get a larger one and hang in lower. Maybe add a wood border to your artwork so it looks more solid.

I love your molding, windows, table and chairs and your rug. You have a lovely room. It wouldn't take much to make it just perfect.

• oopsie913
    9 years ago

I really really really loved the poppy pic with the contrast of the gray walls untill I saw what it went with. I almost feel that the poppies should stay and design and accesorize, table , floor etc the room around the poppies. Thats it

• oopsie913
    9 years ago

and I agree, lower the chandelier, a lot :) lower with pics etc always looks homier.....

• flymom65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what you see when you enter our home. The dining room is to the right. (Sorry for the sideways picture but tinypic keeps flipping them and I cannot figure out how to change them back).

(Ignore the "N" on the buffet-it was stuck there until I put it away)

This is the view from the family room back toward the dining room and foyer,

And this is the "sofa wall" in the family room. (Excuse the mess, please. Long weekend with company.)

Looking at these, it looks like I have a sort of "vanilla" home, but there is color, just in other rooms!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

I would incorporate some blue & white accessories; right now it is very nice but predictable.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't have any of my own suggestions, but could you please share details about your gorgeous chairs?! I've been struggling to find dining room chairs with a mahogany dining room table and those look beautiful and comfortable. Thanks in advance!

• flymom65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The chairs are from Rooms To Go - purchased at a RTG Outlet for a steal at almost 1/2 off. We had a big family gtg over Memorial Day weekend and my 21 year old son kept commenting on how comfortable they are. When DH and I first married, his sister managed a RTG, got a great discount, and was all we could afford. We always have had good luck with the pieces we did choose carefully there.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Thank you!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I agree with Beverly's suggestions.

For artwork, I agree that an artwork or artwork grouping that is wider will better suit the proportions of the paneling, table, and room. I think that a grouping of botanicals would have a very formal look though - consider other options if you want a more relaxed feel.