Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Please show me your bedside sconces

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

I am debating on adding swing arm lamps to either side of my bed. I read in bed every night so having the correct lighting is important to me. I really like the swing arm lamps from lampsplus that look like they were custom made to go with my mirrors. I have no idea where exactly to install them if I decide to forgo the beautiful Kells lamps and go with a swing arm so I would really like to see examples of how other GW members installed theirs. Thanks in advance.

Here are the mirrors I chose.
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/search.jsp?N=0amp;Ntt=felicie&_requestid=84521

Comments (18)

• pps7
    9 years ago

Here you go:

I'm glad I did sconces bc I am such a klutz that I'm sure I would knock down a table lamp.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting PPS. Do they give off enough light to read by? My bed is a poster bed and I am not sure if the swing arms will work. DH is going to hang the mirrors for me probably tomorrow. I just can't help but to think that there may not be enough room between the posts and the mirrors for the sconces to look good.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

holly-kay, hold off on hanging the mirrors for now.

If you get these lamps, I think you might want to have only the lamps on the wall and put the mirrors elsewhere in the room. I think both on that wall would be too much.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

Pps7, love your bed!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb, that is what has me concerned. I don't have a good place in the room for the mirrors if they don't go above the chests. That wall will look too blah with just the lamps but too busy with them. I think the sconces are going to be a no go, as much as I like them I don't think they will work in the room. I wish I was talented enough to do a mock up but I am not. The mirrors help to open the room up and I think the mirrors on the walls are a more important element than the swing lamps.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

holly-kay, can you post the pic of your room on this thread?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay
    I have to say I'm not seeing how you're going to hang the mirror and mount a swing arm sconce there.
    The shapes are complimentary but I'm not sure the finishes are compatible enough either to hang adjacent to each other.
    IMO, go back to the Kells lamp.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree. Don't see how the swing lamps and the mirrors can work together. What a shame. Love those lamps.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marji and Tibb. I agree that the swing arm lamps won't work. I really like them but have to admit that I still love the Kells lamps more. I visited with my youngest DD today and took one of my old lamps to her. As awful as they looked on my bachelor chests is how nice it looked on her end table. I will take the other one to her as soon as my Kells lamps arrive.

• sunfeather
    9 years ago

I don't think mine are the right style for your room but here they are. Still trying to figure out what to do in the room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

We read in bed a lot too, so lighting is important. Ours are not only swing arm but adjust up and down, on pulleys. Of course our MBR is a former barn and casual; wouldn't work for most but i love them.

They are from Loblolly General Goods in Tx.

Mine are different color metal and shade, and a white ceramic weight, but this is the idea, below. The light swing in and back on the arm, and the pulley adjusts the height.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

With a 4 poster bed, the scones often get mounted inside the post and then tucked away.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

What beautiful rooms and sconces!

Holly-Kay, that is amazing that it matches your mirrors so perfectly! Oh my goodness! (Mlweaving, HK does not have the mirrors in your photo in that spot anymore.)

I like Beverly's idea!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Rooms by Mario Buatta will illustrate how to properly position all these different elements.

The scones are for reading. Not for general room illumination.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly thank you so much for the lovely examples. I actually replaced my beloved mirror with two matching mirrors. The idea of tucking the sconces inside the posts was a grand one. Thank you for that. As much as I liked the sconces I felt that there wasn't enough room for them so I went with regular table lamps.

RRS & Mtn, thank you for posting your sconces. I still love the idea of them even though I didn't feel they worked for me size wise. I love the pulley idea as it greatly enhances the adjustability factor.

Anele, I ordered the ceiling light for my bedroom and UPS updated me with the delivery date. It is to arrive on Monday. I hope my DH will be able to install it so I don't have to hire an electrician.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Ours swing and adjust up and down. One of the better decisions we made with this house.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

After buying bedside lamps that I like but do not give enough light for reading, I searched for a long time for wall mounted reading lights. Then one day I bought a set of "hug" lights at Costco. They are perfect. Not what you had in mind, but sometimes a left field option is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hug light

• three3apples
    9 years ago

We have a 4-poster bed. Electrician put electrical boxes maybe a foot outside of the posts. We have yet to find sconces that work with our other bedroom fixtures. Should I have them moved to inside the posts?