Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okmoreh

Restored Eichler MCM split-level photoshow

OKMoreh
9 years ago

Another member posted this link in the kitchens forum. It's a 1960-something Eichler split-level in California, "fully restored to 'embody the spirit of the original mid-century design.'"

Here is a link that might be useful: Eichler split

Comments (19)

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I like this house and the style. I certainly appreciate the pared-down look and the serene feel of the spaces.

I have too many "things" that I would have to give up to live like this though!
    Diane

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No thank you. It looks like a doctor's office, with the reception area being where the sink is. Cement floors are for warehouses.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Nice. I like the clean lines and pared down look. I also like that they have stayed true to the house and not tried to impose inappropriate remodeling on it. I have been in a couple of Eichlers and they feel really nice inside.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I think it's great. It helps to see the ceiling paneling painted white; that's something we're considering doing too with our MCM.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Nice....I like it!

• jenna1
    9 years ago

My parent's only owned house after my dad retired from the Army was a brand new Eichler in Concord, CA. I believe they bought it in either '63 or '64. We were the first to move into the neighborhood. It was purchased for around $24-$26K. When he sold it years later it sold for just around $400K. Can't even imagine what it would go for now.

I loved that house and still love Eichlers, always will. I especially liked the airy and open feeling, not to mention radiant heating during the cold months. Tibbrix, if I remember correctly our home had cement floors with the radiant heating/water tubes/pipes embedded in it. But we had carpet over that in most of the living areas and tile in other areas. The huge enclosed atrium was planted with exotics (from Hawaii, where we used to live) and one of my favorite spots to do homework.

That home is probably why I've always lived in apartments (when young) and owned homes that had walls of windows/glass and natural light. I've known people who haven't liked Eichlers because they seem too cold. But it's all in the furniture and decor and my mom was one of those who knew how to decorate and furnished the house with warmth, if that makes sense. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit her decorating genes.

The only drawback I can remember is when once a month my dad handed all us kids newspapers and vinegar water and we went to town washing all the glass. When I think back, however, it really wasn't too bad because with four kids and my dad, with very lively music playing loudly, it got done pretty quickly.

Given the opportunity, I'd buy and live in an Eichler again.

Jenna

• awm03
    9 years ago

That was wonderful -- thanks for linking to it, okmorah. I liked the concrete floor, actually!

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

that is a nicely done house, but clearly nobody is living in it now, it is staged.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Love it!

But until I can maintain my own home w/surfaces that look so clear, I guess life will never lead me to an Eichler ;-o

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

I am with Tibbrix. Doctor's office is right. The office itself looks like a gyn's examining room.

As for the exterior: To me it looks like the side entrance to the bathroom in a filling station. Gray stucco should be a felony under the skies of California.

I have seen Eichler homes that I've liked, even if they're too spare for my taste. This one isn't on the list!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

My dentist a generation ago had an office that looked like that. He married an interior designer and subsequently they changed to a more traditional building and now in their retirement, they have a beautiful Victorian home, having gotten rich from that little MCM office.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Is it really necessary to conjure up a dirty gas station bathroom and gyno exams just because something isn't your personal taste? Are you that desperate to reinforce your negative opinion?

• maid_o_cliff
    9 years ago

Well, I can't afford to live there, but if I could I would in a heart beat! When every thing is neat, tidy, and sparse I can just breathe better and relax. I have one friend, whose house is LAYERED, even though I love her to death I can never relax. The truth is she is more important to me than the style she uses to decorate her home.
    I wonder if all of you who are so quick to judge, had to post your own home and everyone told the truth about what they think, would you be a little kinder. While you don't have to love it try to remember it's someone's taste.
    Yes, In all truth it probably was staged and I loved it!

Red

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I very much enjoyed that, thanks for posting. I can see myself living there, but maybe not raising a family in it.

Beth P.

• orcasgramma
    9 years ago

Jenna 1, Palimpsest, and others,

I find myself wondering how much the original feel was changed in the renovation.

For instance, I think the ceilings would have been a warm wood and the floors carpeted. Also the wall colors would likely have been warmer colors - off whites perhaps. The colors of the nursery walls seem most in keeping with the colors I recall from that era, but the greys of most of the other walls seem cooler or, perhaps, more subdued. I find it interesting that the renovation may have kept the original sense of openness and light but may have given the house a cooler feel. I am not sure that is an accurate perception.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

yes, the original ceilings were wood, but over time, the roof may have leaked and it may have been a fortune to restore rather that whitewash. Many of these today are whitewashed, though I have seen some in original condition, too.

I love the open spare look. I could live in one easily, but I don't have 2.5 million to buy one in Palo Alto. At least not this week...

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

orcasgramma, actually I don't love it, mostly because it comes off too cool gray, and not woody and organic like it would have been originally. But they didn't do a bad job overall.

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

I usually love faithfully restored Eichers, but I'm not crazy about this remodel. The gray cabinets with the gray floors and the lavender-ish gray paneling in the kitchen gives off an institutional vibe. But the house is in a nice area and the outdoor space is pretty good for living in the city -- it will sell in a heartbeat.

schicksa, we painted our ceilings white in our MCM. It was a decision we fretted over but ultimately we're very happy we did it.

• orcasgramma
    9 years ago

I expected to like it but didn't. Thanks for the words "woody and organic" Palimpsest - that captures what I expected of the house.

Detroit_burb I like the open and spare aspect and it took me by surprise that imagining being in the space didn't feel so great.

Pipdog, I recall your thoughtful posts about whether or not to paint your ceilings.

About this house: I don't know about the colors being institutional - but I don't particularly like them - perhaps the purchaser will repaint.