Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Choosing kitchen, DR, foyer colors

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Hi everyone - we are closing in on our kitchen remodel, and need to start painting! I am here with a counter and cabinet sample begging for help with colors!

{{!gwi}}

The cabinets are maple with a mocha glaze, and as the pic shows, white appliances with Butterrum Granite Formica countertop.

Here is our floorplan also, to give some perspective:

{{!gwi}}

I need to choose colors for the whole kitchen, plus the DR and foyer (all gutted and drywalled) as you can see from the floorplan, all three areas are visible from eachother.

Where it says "desk" in the kitchen, there will actually be a breakfast table. I am not sure about the floor yet, but we are leaning towards high-end laminate in a darker hardwood look/pattern, such as walnut.

I have a few ideas of my own, but really need a fresh perspective. I have never been happy with the colors I pick on my own. I am not sure if I should go with a monochromatic look or if I should go with something more bold (Red or Plum colored DR, for example.) I love green, was thinking of using it in the kitchen and working from there.

I am grateful for your ideas. I love lurking here and seeing all of your beautiful decorating.

I can supply more pics if necessary. Thank you in advance.

Comments (24)

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I think I have that same formica in my laundry room. (love it!) I used BM Raspberry Truffle and I think it's great! Red is always a nice color for kitchens and I think it would look good with your other choices. This picture is not the best, the color is not entirely accurate. The color is much deeper than it shows.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

superchick - yes, the butterum granite is a nice pattern, I love it too! We can't afford to do anything really high-end for our counters (I splurged on cabinets and a duel-fuel oven) so I was so happy to find a formica pattern that I honestly LOVE to use now. I figure, we can upgrade our countertops in the future if we want.

Thanks for the pic - it gives me some ideas of how things could look.

Any other takers out there?

• kentucky7
    15 years ago

Superchick - I love the rich wood in your laundry room!!

Gardenwebber - I'm no help, but I can say I changed my mind several times at zero hour. I know the decorator at the paint store was of great help, along with another decorator. Now my living rm is a very warm rich color that I love!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Is there any color you lean towards? golds, greens, reds, yellows? Do you want classic and traditional, modern, happy and bright?
    What's your backsplash and flooring, what about furniture in LR/DR?
    Restrained Gold is a very popular color here and so is BM Baby Turtle (green). I think they would both look nice.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kentucky - perhaps I will go visit the paint store tomorrow - good idea.

Mlraff - As far as style goes, we do live in a farmhouse style home and I like country style. We have 3 children, we love to entertain - I want warm, inviting, comfortable, classic. Our cabinets are being custom made by Amish. We have a dark cherry dining set (table w/6 chairs plus china cabinet) in the DR. (The dining room will double as a living room when we are not using it for large dinners)

I haven't decided on a backsplash yet. (any suggestions? hehe) For floors, we are leaning towards a darker wood-look high end laminate floor, maybe in a walnut tone. Same floor throughout foyer/kitch/DR.

My idea was, some sort of yellow in the hallway/foyer, then a red/plum in the DR and green in the kitchen. But, will that be too clashing from room to room? It seems that the right yellow up against the right plum up against the right green would look nice... All the trim will be some shade of white.

I'll look into the colors you mentioned, and I'll check back to see if anyone wants to throw in anymore insight.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I might change up the colors a bit. Maybe the "yellow" (but not yellow -- I'm thinking more of a warm pale gold) in the kitchen, the plum (not too dark) in the dining room, and the sage in the foyer. I'm not so sure about the green with your counters in the kitchen, although it could possibly work. One question: What color will the FR be?

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sue! I am not sure what the FR is going to be. Right now it is a taupe/tan color with wood trim, but that will be changing. I was almost considering going with some sort of white in the FR, actually. But of course, I am very open to suggestions in there, as well.

I like youre idea of the yellow in the kitchen - what will yellow do to the maple cabinets?

Do you know of any specific paint colors that are warm pale gold?

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I really really need/appreciate it!

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

I think SW Ivorie would look good.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Cathrugg has those counters in her kitchen with Blonde walls. She would be a great resource for what goes with the Butterum. Here is a recent-ish post with pictures of her kitchen in Blonde. Unfortunately from the post, she is not happy with the paint choice she made, but at least the pics will give you an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter rum and Blonde

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

It is hard to suggest specific paint colors based on a photo on a monitor, and without being in the space, but maybe take a look at BM Waterbury Cream (HC-31)or Vellum (207) or Harvest Time (186)? For the plum... something like Wet Concrete (2114-40) or a bit lighter, Victorian Mauve (2114-50) -- not sure if these are what you'd call 'plum', though -- I also like Dusk to Dawn (1446) and others on the 1443-1449 strip.

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

What is your lighting like? Do all rooms have a lot of natural light?

I like the red that superchick posted, and think that could work nicely in kitchen or dining. For a green, I love the RH ones (the Bay Laurels, not the Silver Sage family).

Good luck!

Mary

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it is hard to see the true color on a monitor. I actually think my pics came out a tad darker than they really are. And everytime I see Butterum Granite on a monitor (in the posts I've seen), it seems to look purple-ish to me. But, in real life, I don't see purple.

Clubcracker - about the lighting: We will have recessed plus a center dropped down style light in both sides of the kitchen and the DR. In the hallway/foyer, we will just have two ceiling mounted lights. The DR is a sunny room during the day, and the only windows in the kitchen are two large double hung windows over on the nook side of the space.

So, no one seems to think that green will work well in the kitchen? (I was thinking a sage or celery, a softer green, maybe even a yellow green, but not a kelly green or bold green)

I will jot all suggestions (and future suggestions) on a piece of paper and visit a paint store this weekend.

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

I think a green could work, like the RH ones I posted about - we have Bay Laurel in our FR and in the last house, had the next lighter shade in the kitchen - there were natural maple cabinets, pine floors, ss appliances and brown/tan/gray granite counters. Here's a pic:

I tried to get a yellow to work but never could get one to go with all those different warm browns.

GL!

Mary

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, could you clarify what rooms your recommendations were for?

you said: " maybe take a look at BM Waterbury Cream (HC-31)or Vellum (207) or Harvest Time (186)? For the plum... something like Wet Concrete (2114-40) or a bit lighter, Victorian Mauve (2114-50) -- not sure if these are what you'd call 'plum', though -- I also like Dusk to Dawn (1446) and others on the 1443-1449 strip."

I picked up all these swatches, but wasn't sure what room they were meant for.

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

My library is right off my gold/yellow foyer. It is painted Georgian Green:

• callie8799
    15 years ago

Gardenwebber,
    we have the same color of kitchen cabinets and same countertop= great taste we have :) anyway... we painted the kitchen Sherwinn Williams' Blonde and our adjacent into dining room & upstairs hallway, Sherwinn William's Ivorie - all rooms are visible to each other. I do agree that greens (cool greens) look great with the cabinets and counter- we opted not to do that b/c we live in a small house w/ the main bathroom and our bedroom being green. If I did green in the kitchen and diningroom, I would have to run it thru the entire place.

I'm trying to upload some pix of the 2 colors... wish me luck :) ok... the last 3 pix of my kitchen are of SW Blonde
    the first 2 are of my diningroom painted in SW Ivorie.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Blonde & Ivorie w/ Maple Mocha cabinets....

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

gardenwebber, Waterbury Cream, Harvest Time, and Vellum were my attempts at a pale goldish color. The color callie posted is exactly what I was thinking of for your kitchen -- I just am not as familiar with the SW colors. You'd mentioned a plum for the dining room, so the others were related to that idea. I am honestly not sure how I feel about a purple in the dining room, but it could be really nice and less 'expected' than the red that so many people use. Or how about a green for the dining room?

• parma42
    15 years ago

If you want to see the SW Blonde in another couple of pics, scroll down a bit to my post.."More window treatment problems" I have about the same color counters and Blonde on the walls.

Good luck!

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I've been looking at my swatches today and I really like Baby Turtle for the kitchen, Wet Concrete for the DR, and Restrained Gold for the foyer/hallway. Then (after this renovation is completed) I would like to paint our FR (which is off the DR, shown in the pic attached at top) Blonde.

Any thoughts on this? I can post more pics with the swatches next to eachother and baby turtle next to my counter/cabinet sample if needed. When I hold the swatches next to eachother they seem to look really nice together. Soft... but sophisticated.

I appreciate your input.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thought of another question I should have put in my last post.

Am I making a mistake painting all three areas three different colors? Should I combine the foyer w/DR for example, and paint both rooms the same color? Is my space large enough to paint them all different? The outside wall of our foyer (I'm calling it "foyer" but its really just the small space in the entryway plus a long hallway to the kitchen) does span two floors. In other words, if you look to the right, the wall is continuous all the way up to the second floor, so there is plenty of space for the foyer color.

Thanks again in advance.

• rednecksmama
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and have been looking for kitchens with similar colors that I am wanting to remodel my kitchen in.

gardenwebber, you have the same countertop that I am wanting in my kitchen. I am wanting natural oak cabinets and white appliances. We have not started on this yet. Have met with the cabinet guy and waiting on a bid.

Have you decided on paint yet? Any new pics of your kitchen?

I would love to see them.

Thanks

• rosebouquet
    15 years ago

Hi Gardenwebber,

I am just curious...what paint color did you end up choosing for your kitchen? My kitchen appears to have the same glazed-toned cabinets as your's, and I also have butter rum countertops. I am trying to choose colors for my kitchen right now too, and it's so difficult! If you have any pictures I'd love to see them. Thanks!
    Rose

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh, guys - I am sorry I just noticed that you bumped my post! Here is a picture, my kitchen is much more put together now, so I can take more if these don't help you visualize enough:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The color is called "Baby Turtle" by Benjamin Moore. I have handles and everything on my cabs now, plus my microhood is installed, and my black silgranit sink is installed, island is done, etc, so if you want more pics to help you visualise, let me know!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

gardenwebber, The BM Baby Turtle is perfect for your kitchen. It really is a nice neutral color but not boring. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012