Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedee99

A new picture and quote?

Javachik started a wonderful thread on the conversation side about favorite sayings which led to daisychain01 pointing out we need a new quote/saying for That Home Site. The FLW quote (and the clip art of the vase) have been up for years!

Aren't you tired of these too? lol!

Move the table. - Frank Lloyd Wright

(In response to a client complaining of rain leaking onto the dining table.

and this pic

I emailed gw and they are happy to change the quote and the picture

I submitted two quotes, one from palimpsest and one from magnaverde. (hope you two don't mind - if you do, tell me!)

"Two is not a collection. Two dozen is. If it is a collection of ugly things, you'd better have a lot of them. I'm serious, bad things become good in large quantities."

-palimpsest

Decorate for the way you really live, not the way you wish you lived.

~Magnaverde

Anybody else have a quote and/or pic they would like to submit? If you do, just follow up in this thread and I'll send gw the link once members stop adding new quotes and pics.

Here is my pic submission

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite sayings thread

Comments (53)

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I think Magnaverde�s quote is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Not for this purpose, but my favorite FLW saying is, "Even a physician gets to bury his mistakes...an architect can only plant vines."

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

what a great idea, DeeDee.... I like them both, but for the sake of brevity.....Magnaverde! It is something I have to keep in mind when I am tempted...............

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Don't mean to be a downer about the great Magna's quote, but it strikes me as a rather wet blanket on the imagination!

I think many of us play it safe and walk on the practical side TOO much, and need encouragagement to go for the gusto a bit more, if you will.

What's so bad about decorating for the life you WANT to live, if that imagined life brings you joy? Maybe if you build it (create it, design it, decorate it) the rest will follow? I would like to think that decor can inspire us, not just mirror the status quo.

Sorry if that was too much critique on this thread. When it comes to the quote, Any change would be refreshing!

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

deedee99 - Love the picture! Pal's quote made me guffaw - that's my vote.

java

• melsouth
    11 years ago

I googled and found this quote:
    "I deeply believe that a beautiful decor can have a beneficial influence on our lives."
    Albert Hadley

• melsouth
    11 years ago

I googled and found this quote:
    "I deeply believe that a beautiful decor can have a beneficial influence on our lives."
    Albert Hadley

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great quotes so far everyone!

Thanks for the compliments on the pic. My dd took that last year - she has quite the eye!

SG, I don't think you have a speck of downer in you! Magnaverde's quote does make one think doesn't it?

Keep the quotes coming gw friends. We need more pics to choose from too. Come on guys!

*here is nanny2a's how to post a picture instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post a picture

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

"My favorite project is always the next one."
    �Architect Michael Graves, July/Aug 11

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

I take Magnaverde's quote differently than how Stinky took it. To me it means you should decorate in way that pleases you and not for how you feel others think you should decorate.

In other words be happy with yourself, don't try and be someone else when making choices for your own home.

I would guess his comment came from reading so many others comments that ask how they should decorate their homes because they don't think they have a style of their own. He's encouraging others to be brave and do what they like, not to do what others say is right or to copy what they see in magazines, on here or in blog-land.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your insight, Justgota! It really doesn't seem possible that Magnaverde would be throwing wet blankets on imaginations, so your explanation has to be more in line with what he means.

I'm taking the quote out of context, I suppose. I think wishes and dreams and wants and desires are important in the realm of creativity. Bet that M does too. I'm surely not catching his drift, so thanks.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I'm an engineer and program manager, and learned early on that you don't always have to have the 100% solution. I always loved this quote from Yogi Berra when it came time to make decisions:
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Applies to everything, and to me it sometimes just means, go with your gut feeling.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I like the Michael Graves, and the Albert Hadley.

The first has a universal kind of appeal, and I have found the second to be true. I have a client who spent all her time away or out of the house, and when I saw her house, I understood why she needed to escape. When we redid it to her liking, she started to stay home, and in the next house we did the same. She was skeptical that it would make a difference at first.

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

You're welcome Stinky.
    In re-reading your earlier post I actually think this part of what you wrote is similar to what Magnaverde meant...."Maybe if you build it (create it, design it, decorate it) the rest will follow? I would like to think that decor can inspire us, not just mirror the status quo." YOU being the operative word.

Most of us start out living with less than what we want. Often with hand me down furniture until we have the time and/or money to buy what we personally like. So I completely understand how you took his quote differently than I did. But after reading so much of what M wrote I took his meaning differently. He certainly not the wet blanket type. LOL Maybe he'll somehow find out we're talking of him and stop by and explain himself. That would be so nice! Maybe he can offer up another quote to take old Frank's quotes place.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I love Pal's quote, but I have to go with Mag's. To me it's welcoming to anyone who should come to the board. It's telling people they don't HAVE to follow rules and to decorate that suits them.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Oak, again it's interesting to hear another perspective on Mag's quote. I still don't hear what you hear, but I guess that meaning must be there. I'm feeling rather thick-headed right about now.

This quote that I posted earlier very directly gets at the idea you say Mag expresses. It's from the book, "Quotes for Dummies" (kidding!)

"Stick to the things you really love. An honest room is always up to date."

Billy Baldwin

I do remember Magnaverde saying something like "I'm never in style, so I can never go out of style." That I can understand (& embrace!)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Yes. That's much more like it.

"I'm never in style, so I can never go out of style."

Inspiring. Empowering. Confidence building. Individualistic for a forum of individuals gathering from all over. A mental door-opener. A quotation with those qualities can encourage creativity to soar.

I'm afraid the Magnaverde's first, wise as it is, can be taken as stodgy and limiting, thus just not right for a forum that is all about personal creativity. Plus, let's not forget a lot of people don't particularly care for the way they're currently living, with M's intended design meaning submerged under the emotions raised by that reality.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Forgot to include the other great, empowering one. "Stick to the things you really love. An honest room is always up to date." Billy Baldwin

Even better: "Stick to the things you really love." Billy Baldwin.

How many wonderful choices would be made and mistakes avoided if that was our seminal principle?

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Jeepers, Rosie, that's scary! I'm not the lone voice in the wildnerness afterall.

I'm happy that many find inspiration in Mag's other words, and I'm truly fine with whatever is posted as "the" quote. Deedee99 is super for taking on this task and making the effort to give us something new to read and look at.

That's what's really special to me about this whole process--someone taking the time to make a difference for her cyber community.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love a good Billy Baldwin quote. Seems like he's always right on target.

Off topic kind of....I joined gw back in 2010 so I think I've missed most of the Magnaverde wisdom. I did a quick search and this blog came up (I felt a bit stalker-ish for some reason). SIMPLY GRAND

Not sure if it's his but it is good so I signed up. Anybody know if that's him?

If you have quotes and pics, keep em' coming!

Here is a link that might be useful: SIMPLY GRAND

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sg, you are a sweetheart! I'm fine with whatever is posted too.

No big deal to do this on my end, just going to send the 'grand poobahs'(lol!) at gw the link when we are done.

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

I've never seen that site deedee. I think this is him though....

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnaverde

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last call for quotes and pics! I'm going to send the link on to gw tomorrow.

• magnaverde
    11 years ago

Hi friends.

I just got an email saying I needed to stop in & see this topic. I always liked that FLW quote, but I have to agree that, out of the context of the whole story that surrounds it, it doesn't make much sense, and adding the backstory as an afterthought in parentheses sort of spoils the punch, I think. Then again, that quote and the little drawing are the last vestiges of the originator of this forum, graphic reminder of the old days--sort of like the girl on the Morton Salt box--so I'll hate to see it go.

Anyway, I just want to say that, whatever ends up at the top, I feel honored that one of the Rules made it into the list of possibilities. And those who gave the rule the broader application--not the narrow you-can't-do-that application--got it right. It's all about finding the aesthetic solution what really works for your own life, not whatever the glossy magazines & follow-the-leader copycat blogs are telling us is trendy or whatever the marketing boys on Madison Avenue are trying to persuade us we can't live without.

Anyway, just in case Magnaverde Rule No. 16 gets the vote, here's the actual wording: Decorate for the life you really have, not the life you wish you had.

Either way, thanks for thinking of me.

Regards, Mag.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I appreciate the clarification, Magnaverde.

The part of the quote, "not the life you wish you had" is summed up when you say "...not whatever the glossy magazines & follow-the-leader copycat blogs are telling us is trendy or whatever the marketing boys on Madison Avenue are trying to persuade us we can't live without."

So, I then hear, "Decorate with what you love, embrace who you are, and forget about aspirations to create an image of a so-called life that editors and bloggers would have you mimic."

Many of us here at GW are already grounded in the realization that we don't even "wish" we had the glossy magazine decor. As a group, I think we're pretty incredulous when it comes to trends. We DO however, want to really "work" our own modest, often quirky, seldom museum quality, but well-loved furnishings and accessories.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, here's what we have quote-wise so far:

"Two is not a collection. Two dozen is. If it is a collection of ugly things, you'd better have a lot of them. I'm serious, bad things become good in large quantities."
    -palimpsest

Decorate for the life you really have, not the life you wish you had.
    ~Magnaverde

"Serious is a word that must be entirely avoided when it comes to decoration."
    ~Kathryn M. Ireland

"Stick to the things you really love. An honest room is always up to date."
    ~Billy Baldwin

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...decorate for yourself not for others"

"Even a physician gets to bury his mistakes...an architect can only plant vines."
    ~Frank Lloyd Wright

~Albert Hadley

"My favorite project is always the next one."
    ~Architect Michael Graves

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    ~Yogi Berra

"I'm never in style, so I can never go out of style."
    ~Magnaverde (hopefully that's the actual wording)

Magnaverde do you want to share Rules #1-15?:)

AnnieDeighnaugh and me are the only ones to submit pics. Gosh, and I've seen some fantastic rooms done by the members here...

• natesgram
    11 years ago

I like these pictures, lots of imagination.

Here is a link that might be useful: House

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

I've always loved the William Morris quote

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"

And one from Gandhi

Live simply, so that others may live simply.

Not that I truly follow this advice, but it's inspiring to me.

Love all the ones suggested so far. Very entertaining to read.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

natesgram, one of those would look so sweet at the top of the forum!
    Good ones happyintexas!

I submitted all the suggestions to gw today. It will be fun to see what they choose.

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

Did ya notice? New quote and photo!

I love it...Mags quote is SO this forum. Yay!

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just noticed too! Looks good!

I have had another request from gw....

deedee,
    While I'm swapping out the pic and quote, I'd like to update the Related Forums links. Would you mind asking for some suggestions? Most are probably fine, but there are a couple that I think could be replaced.

I'll try to put a shout-out on the other forums later today but put your thinking caps on for quotes and see if you own some pics that would be applicable to that forum.

Kitchens : Baths : Furniture : Paint : Lighting : Building a Home

Now, I rarely go on the other forums (I do peek in kitchens once in a while cause' marcolo makes me laugh!) so I hope they don't feel like I'm butting in.

So let me start a new thread on those forums (how am I'm going to keep track of this???) and see what happens. If there are any volunteers out there who would like to do this, I am happy to turn it over to you!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Hmm, I'm not so sure. I kind of like the old quote. It was funny. I tend to not like change, but in the end it doesn't matter much. I've been hanging around these forums for so long I am just used to the look.

Remember the little dog that would wag his tail and it said "look, he is happy to see you". Now that is going way back!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Deedee99's pic looks pretty! Mag's quote, well...I think I've said enough about that!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Did you notice that they changed the name of the forum? It is now Home Decorating & Design. At least I think that is different!

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never mind about the other forums quotes and pics (unless you want to mail a suggestion to gw).
    Just got this email...

I actually updated the related forums because I wanted to just get it all done. So, what you see there now are the new ones -- I removed forums like Crafts and Accoutrements. I think they are fine, but if someone has suggestions, we can look into them on the next go-around.

Best,

Tamara

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, we have a new quote and picture!!! Thank you so much deedee99
    Thanks Magnaverde for stopping in and proving me right. LOL Just kidding, but I was pretty sure that's the way you meant it by what else I've read of your comments.

• riosamba
    11 years ago

Magnaverde's quote is, was, and ever shall be terrific advice. That said, I don't really care for the change. It just feels like my grandmother redecorated.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Justgotabeme, thanks! But it was no big deal to ask gw to change the quote and pic - they are so nice!

Riosamba, just scroll to the bottom and you will see the contact us link and you can send them your ideas for change.

• magnaverde
    11 years ago

I feel honored that one of the Rules made it to the top of the page, even though I'm another one who, given a choice, will generally take what's already there than whatever the latest new thing is. I hated it when my grandmother redecorated, too.

That's why all my antique furniture still wears whatever fabric & finish it had when I first bought it.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love that rule, and I'm going to quote it often. I'll bet we can easily revert back to the old pic and quote for you sentimental gardenwebbers.

I can't resist....

"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change."
    â Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

You are right, the GW is great at taking care of things when we ask. Maybe we should ask for more things.

I actually like change. I'm kind of surprised that anyone that loves to decorate wouldn't be happy about the changes deedee99 made for us.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Well-said, Justgotabeme! I like change too & Deedee99 is a sweetheart!

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some say sweetheart...some say troublemaker. lol!

Gosh, I hope there's no hard feelings. Not my intent at all!

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

deedee99 please don't worry about it. One bad comment is like a freckle on the face of a beautiful woman, who notices? I certainly wouldn't.

• riosamba
    11 years ago

A "bad comment?" I didn't trash someone's beloved finished room, for heaven's sake.

There are many approaches and schools of thought when it comes to decorating. I am in the old school camp- do it once (per house), slowly, replacing things only when necessary. That way isn't superior, it's just mine. I enjoy following others thoughts and processes, but disagree strongly that interest in design and decorating must necessarily equate to love of change.

Deedee, I certainly don't think you did anything wrong, and I thought the Shelley quote was funny.

• PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jgota, thanks and no worries.

Everyone has their tipping point. I could happily wear my favorite black slacks and black top every day (clean of course!). I can also happily eat the same breakfast and lunch every day.

My tolerance for a wall color, or for that matter, wallpaper on my computer, is another story. Don't know why and it's probably not worth much analysis but as Popeye says... I yam what I yam.

When I look at a beautiful antique piece of furniture in its original finish, I am extremely glad that someone did not want a change!

• rosie
    11 years ago

I think it's nice that you addressed this, DeeDee. No quote could please everyone, but I think this one comes closer to most simply because it's from one of the forum's own. Good job.

• natal
    11 years ago

Remember the little dog that would wag his tail and it said "look, he is happy to see you". Now that is going way back!

Don't remember that, but I do remember dances in garden's dancing rabbit. Wonder if she's still around?

• arbpdl
    11 years ago

Just curious, if that's rule #16, does that mean there are there 15 more?