Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Quarter round moulding behind bed?

dedtired
9 years ago

I have a handyman coming tomorrow to replace some quarter round moulding on the floor trim in a hall and bedroom. It was removed by previous owners to accommodate wall to wall carpeting. So here is my question. Should I add quarter round to the wall behind the bed? Right now the bed in that room (guest room) has no headboard on it, but I plan on getting one soon. I presume the legs of the headboard will go down to the floor. The quarter round would prevent the headboard from being pushed close to the wall. There would be a 1.5 inch gap between the headboard and the wall.

When you walk in the room, the side of the bed is directly ahead of you, so the gap would be noticeable.

Would it make sense to omit the moulding on this wall, or is it odd to have it on every wall but one?

Hope I am making sense with my description.

Comments (12)

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I would put the quarter round on the wall behind the bed - that is the way mine is. I don't like for my headboard (wooden sleigh bed) to touch the wall.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It should actually be base shoe, not quarter round. But either way, if it's installed elsewhere, it should be everywhere. Also, it's best not to have any furniture actually touching your walls.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks. That's what I needed to hear. There is part of the trim (or whatever that's called), just not that piece that I call quarter round. Guess I'll stick with the plan to install it.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Errant - you are right - mine is shoe mold :).

• chispa
    9 years ago

Agree with the other, the correct way is to do it all the way around.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, base shoe it is. I learn a lot here, although when you think about it, quarter round is a more accurate description, at least IMHO. I guess you can flip a coin over the correct spelling of mould/mold. Actually, shoe mold sounds kind of gross, like what grew inside my sons' sneakers when they were kids.

Yes, I will get it all the way around. The piece I am missing is the one in the bottom right of this sketch.

Here is a link that might be useful: base shoe

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

The difference between shoe mold and quarter round is that the former is a bit taller, but not as thick as the latter.
    That being said, whichever your contractor is using, I've seen both used for this purpose, you can notch the back of the headboard legs to fit around the base and the shoe mold/quarter round when you get a headboard.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Let a trolled add their 2cents to this. The quarter round can be put down next to the shoe molding. Most people paint the shoe molding but leave the quarter round natural colored. It makes getting a good paint job the next time your room needs painting. You just remove (carefully of course) quarter round, paint, then replace. Makes for a nice transition to the floor.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure learning a lot. I'll be using white so it matches the rest of the rooms upstairs. When I had the downstairs floors refinished, they installed oak to match the floors and that looks nice. Feel free to troll any time with good info like that.

Justgota, brilliant idea! I'll remember that. Is it possible to attach a headboard to the bed frame so the legs don't touch the floor?

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

Being sort of a "molding" freak I tend to look at all the moldings in every house, every picture. I've always hated quarter-round and have only had base shoe which I've described as "quarter-oval" to explain the difference in the shapes.
    My question is for Toolbelt68-I've never seen quarter round in front of shoe mold-and the picture that shows shoe mold is not what I would call shoe mold. The picture looks more like a small flat casing than true shoe mold. Shoe mould (I prefer the U), is much shorter than the picture shows.
    Now I need to go on a search for what that drawing shows as shoe mold. And it's late!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I learn something new every day here.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me, too!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia