Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom paint color? with taupe-pink tiles

Posted by gretchilou (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 12:16

We have a 1950's home with an early 90's bathroom remodel in the master bathroom. The floor, shower and tub surround are all this taupe-pink-gray tile. We much prefer more vintage style but need to work with what we have. We have a white vanity and white molding. Right now the walls are a light creamy beige which look okay but a bit dull. Any paint and fixture finish suggestions to make it a little crisper and not emphasize the pink in the tile? Here is a photo of the tile (not in our bathroom) THANKS!
http://villahomedesigning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/textured-beautiful-bathroom-tile-2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom paint color? with taupe-pink tiles

What colors are you using in the master bedroom? In artworks? In fabrics etc.? Color of furniture?

Perhaps if you painted the bathroom in simple fresh white -- to work with the vanity and white moldings? Then add lots of vintage style silver/chrome accessories ....

Then use an accent color to tie the two rooms together ... maybe in towels?

o

I think the tile colors, if like the picture, are really nice. Christopher Lowell used to say that you pick out colors from the tile then match the intensity of the color by using the color wheel...so if the color in the tile is 3 steps down from the lightest color, then any paint color 3 steps down will work with the tile. He said that by using a color of a matching intensity, you can tone down the impact of the color in the tile. He redid a bathroom that had a really dated but intense tile color and it was fabulous how it went from being an "oh no" to very intentional and attractive.

o

Thanks for the ideas...I finally found my post again :) Haven't done anything in the bathrooom yet. We have a grey-brown in the master with dark wood and accents to match the duvet which has sage green, terracotta and black..crisp & earthy. We have no curtains but a wall of beautiful 50's style windows and big white wood blinds. Wall art are vintage green maps with black frames. The tiles are just okay for me...I recognize that others would like them but I much prefer subway and penny tile type stuff. They cover the entire floor, the tub surround, the entire walk-in shower and the counters...it's just a bit overwhelming. Right now I have light blue and brown accents but it's not working too well. The fixtures are all brass. There is very little natural light in the bathroom and only one wall that could host a piece of art that is over the tub. Any more ideas?! I am leaning towards picking a super bright accent color...and going with oil rubbed bronze hardware. ???

o

I would choose a soft tone of the gray in the tile for your walls, and use a white with a barely peachy undertone.
I'd paint the ceiling the same color as the trim, to keep the rosiness going.
Sophisticated, calm, and coordinated.

Martin-Senour "Owlet" or "Cindersmoke" on the walls, with "First Bloom" for trim and ceiling would be pretty.
Farrow & Ball "Elephant's Breath" paired with "Dimity."
Sherwin-Williams "Worldly Gray" SW7043 or "Amazing Gray" 7044 with "A La Mode" 7116 or "Venetian Lace" 7119.

Then if you wanted something strong added, towels in pink and burgundy, or deep gray and apple green?
And a little touch of shiny black - perhaps a black marble soap dish and cup, and a slender black frame for whatever you choose for the wall?

o

Although I cannot find the post now, I recently read a blog where the tile was a similar color. The person had first tried a terra cotta color with the tile. It "matched" but was not pleasing. She then changed to a gray-ish lavender pulled from the tile color. It looked fantastic. I think this is similar to bronwynsmom's suggestion.

o

Strongly agree with the gray walls and white with barest peach undertone for trim and ceiling. If your countertops are white, would suggest going black or a shade or two darker gray for the vanity base itself. And I would use satin nickel faucets and fixtures, robe hooks, and all other hardware. The brown of the ORB will make the peach stand out in the tile, not the gray you seem to want to emphasize.

o

look at BM Davenport Tan

o

I hadn't even thought of gray...which is odd since we have it throughout the rest of the house. The countertops are also the same tile...may have to hank them out, it's just too..much...tile! Worldly Gray has potential since I want to keep it light. Will the slightly peach white empahsize the peachy-rosiness of the tile? Cause I am trying to neutralize it as much as possible.

o

here's a photo ...to give you an idea

o

and another...although the red heat lamp is on in this one.

o

Although it seems counterintuitive, a white with a barely peachy undertone will neutralize your tile better by cooperating with it. Anything that moves farther away from it on the color wheel will intensify the pinkness.

Gray walls will help, because they will cool off the reflected light that will influence your trim and ceiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here