Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

Help me with Bedding?

mom2sethc
9 years ago

Hello,

How do you make your bed? I currently have a sheet and then a duvet inside a duvet cover. However, I am sick of how the duvet fits inside the cover. I have used clips, ties, etc and the duvet always shifts around. Also, I have noticed that every duvet cover that I have is stained at the top, I am assuming from hands constantly pulling the duvet up. Am I alone in this? How do you prevent this from happening with your duvet covers? It doesn't seem to wash out?
With that said, I'd like to instead cover my bed with a coverlet/ quilt (washable), and leave the duvet at the end of my bed for colder nights.
Can you suggest a place to go to for good bedding?

Thanks!

Ellaine

Comments (7)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I hear you! I gave up on duvets and covers a few years ago for the same reason....they never stayed in place with ties, clips, etc.. and I was tired of constantly shaking them to try to straighten them out which was very unwieldy in king size! I still have them in the guest rooms though, but they are not used much.

I bought a white coverlet at an outlet place, but you can find them anywhere....BBB, Macy's, Target.....and online at websites like Company Store, LL Bean, etc.....it really depends on how much you want to spend..prices run the gamut.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Pine Cone Hill has nice bedding. I have also used Macy's because I like the Martha Stewart line. LL Bean also has nice quality.

I just purchased the Pine Cone Hill Blue Madeline quilt from Horchow and I really like it. I have used a coverlet for years with no additional blankets because I get too hot with anything more than the coverlet even during the winter.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I gave up on them, too. For the past several years I've had a cream colored cotton matelassé coverlet and shams and I love them. They wash like a dream, look great and feel great. During colder weather I keep a down comforter at the foot of our bed.
    Lynn

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I find that IKEAs inserts and duvets fit well with no extra space that makes the insert/duvet slide around inside the cover. And, no, I have no stains on the top. However, I also don't tuck it in around the mattress, so there's no pulling up involved.

I hate beds that are made with a cover sheet, blanket, top sheet, and everything tucked in around the edges. I always end up loosing half of it.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I have never had any success with any duvet/cover, ever. I tried again a year or two ago, thinking "this time I've got it!" but no, that success was limited when the bed looked rumpled at all times no matter what.

For winter, I have a comforter made by Waterford that is thick and cozy. For spring and summer, I change over to a quilt. This year, I bought one on clearance from Company C.

It is much harder to find a regular comforter than it is to find a quilt! I searched forever to find a decent comforter that I liked. I think the one I have came from Bloomingdale's.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love duvet covers and don't have a problem with them. I get the kind that has the ties in the four corners, and I tie the corners of the comforter very tightly in there.

Try Zout on the yellowing at the top of your duvet cover. Air dry it. (putting it in the dryer can set the stain). If it's not out, try vinegarâ¦or try vinegar first. Those stains are sweat stains from your arms.

In cooler weather, I sleep directly under the comforter with the duvet (flannel duvet in winter; 100% cotton percale in spring and fall; down comforter in winter; wool filled comforter spring and fall. In the summer, I sleep under cotton sheets and blankets.

HomeGoods has very good bedding.

Pricier good stuff: Garnet Hill; Cuddledown; Pottery Barn; The Company Store.

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello,

Thank you all! I will check out the suggested stores for bedding, I think I will put a nice thin cotton duvet cover on my duvet and use it in colder weather. I'm going to get a nice washable coverlet for year round use.
    Tribbix - I will try the cleaning method you suggested, thanks!!