Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

BM Azores and/or BM weimaraner

kam76
9 years ago

Anyone used either of these colors? I am thinking about using these two in rooms that are right off my entryway. Azores above my white wainscoting in the dining room and weimaraner in the Study. I painted out test boards but we are not living in the house and it is hard for me to get over there at all times of the day so I have not really been able to see how they react in different lights. They are much more intense colors than I am used to but I really like how complex they are. I am nervous about the weimaraner being overwhelming or too dark but I do get a lot of natural light in that room. I am just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with either.

Comments (9)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

here are the two colors for people to see
    Azores
    {{!gwi}}
    Weimaraner
    {{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I don't see them as intense colors. I've seen photos of the Weimaraner and considered using it, but have not seen a whole room in person. I think it's a great color though. It would be great in your DR too.

The Azores looks like it would look great with the white wainscoating. If the color is slightly muted as it appears, it could be very nice for a DR, but I would do a large test before committing to it. I like the way it looks on my monitor, but would want to see it in person and on the wall. I worry that lighter blues and greens can look like bedroom/bathroom/nursery colors. Do you have other things picked out to go with that color (fabrics, art, your china if displayed, etc.)?

• User
    9 years ago

The weimaraner is going to be quite dark and quite purple=y. It's LRV is only 29.26, which is pretty low and which means it absorbs more light than it reflects (another way of saying, it's dark).

I've got BM Cape Hatteras Sand in my DR and two of my bathrooms. Its LRV is 46.67, so it's still under 50%. My DR gets natural light, and in the morning the mauve-nessof it shows. In the bathrooms, I don't see any of the purple and it's more a beautiful creamy spa-like taupe.

Compare the two.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Tibbrix where is the LRV information available? I recently tried out a bunch of BM samples and noticed that there was more to how dark or light a color looked than how it looked on the fan deck.

• User
    9 years ago

If you google a BM color, for example Weimaraner, when you open the link that has the big square of the color, to the right of the color is "Buy Sampe" "Buy Paint"; under those is a description of the color, and under that is the LRV.

• User
    9 years ago

If you saw my bathrooms and my LR, would NEVER know not only that they're all the same color, but are the Cape Hatteras Sand as it is shown by BM.
    It looks NOTHING like the square on the link. But is a fairly deep color, so the Weimaraner is going to be very dark.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

we painted out master bedroom weimaraner about 3 yrs ago- still like it alot! i don't consider it too dark at all, but i do like deeper colors tho.
    the ceiling in our master is grey wisp and looks nice with the weimaraner and is sortof along the lines of azores, so i think they would be complementary.
    for the most part, weimaraner in our room doesn't look 'purpley', but in certain lights it can take on some pinker/purple hints, just like the revere pewter in our adjoining sitting room does.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

A friend of mine has weimaraner as an accent color on a large wall in her contemporary home and it is not at all 'purpley' either. They have a more muted neutral color scheme due to a lot of large art objects. This is on a very large wall separating the living room from the kitchen area/den (think 20' or more) and it works. There is a lot of light from the windows at the rear of the house.

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

Ha! That is actually my old mudroom, vintage garden gnome, cat and Weimaraner walls. :-) Funny to see it crop up again.

The Weimaraner is a fascinating, gorgeous color, and I'd love to find a place to use it again. It's either lavender-ish or green-ish at different times of day, but always recognizably gray. We didn't find it terribly dark, for what it's worth.

For reference, the photo above is in a north-facing mudroom in Maine, with lots of windows. The trim is Soft Chamois -- it did take forever to find a creamy white with absolutely no yellow in it that looked good with the Weimaraner. The ceiling in there was diluted Palladian blue (not unlike your Azores) and it looked delicious together with the gray.

I'm a fan! :)