Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva_gw

Help choosing interior shutters

elizabetheva
9 years ago

I posted this in windows but as I've been searching threads and looking through the forums I think maybe it should be here?

We are in the beginning process of building a house and are planning on interior shutters on the windows. The shutters in our current home are terrible quality, they were here prior, and I would like to avoid the same problems, so I thought I'd check to see if I could get some info from everyone about what's important to look for, and how much the type of windows impacts the performance of the shutters.
The problems with our current shutters include the trim coming apart at the mitered corners, they never, ever stay closed (I finally figured out how to use tape and sticky tack to keep them shut, and it stays hidden as long as they're closed, but it means most of the time our shutters are closed). They are wood, but I'm sure they're the bottom of the line wood shutters. I have lots of questions, so thanks in advance for your advice!

I think a lot of our problems with them are because we live in Utah, and the temperatures changes are drastic from winter to summer, and these are not built to withstand those changes. If we go with wood, what should I look for to make sure they function properly all season?

I'm also wondering if wood is really the best choice for us anyway - I'm planning to go with white, so is a different material better? Do faux wood blinds look cheap?

How much do the type of windows impact the shutters functioning? For instance, if our current windows were more efficient, would it make a difference in the way the wood trim has slowly pulled apart? I guess I'm also asking, if we have more efficient windows in our new home, is it possible a shutter that isn't top of the line might work better than it does in a less efficient window?

thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Drastic weather temps won't effect good wooden shutters. I'm in OK., where it gets frigid in the winter, and triple digit days in the summer.

We had our shutters custom made. They're so well made that when we added-on, we had to take one of the big shutters down, and they built a new window the same size as the shutters. The people who made our shutters came out and re-installed the old one.

Wood shutters are the best for keeping cold and heat out of the house.

The only thing I don't like is how they block light from coming indoors unless you get the one's with wide slats. Wide slats are okay, but look too modern for my house.

Go custom for good quality!

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I have Norman interior shutters and I love them. They wipe clean so easily,
    I believe they are faux wood, I purchased them from Budget Blinds, but I believe Lowes also sells this brand.
    I just wipe them with a mild solution of water & Muphys Oil Soap. I punched them in a cream color to match my trim paint color

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

If they are in your budget, I think Hunter Douglas plantation shutters are excellent - wood or faux wood. We had the non-wood ones in our last house for over a decade - and they worked like a dream and looked brand new when we sold the house. They function beautifully - for black out, heat retention, wide slats for lots of daylight - I can't say enough good things about them. Based on the price, they are an investment and make the most sense if you plan to stay in your house for many years.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Marinegal,

You mention black out for your shutters, are you saying complete blackout on all sides.
    Maybe this us what I need for my problem room. I want complete black out

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

lyban, I probably shouldn't have said blackout because some light does come through, especially if they are inside mounted. I am not super sensitive to light and I find the room darkening really good for a shutter. But they have to be custom fitted to work, and in an older house with irregular windows there will be a little light coming in where the casings are out of square. A blackout honeycomb would be superior in terms of light restriction.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

We put plantation shutters in our great room. We couldn't find ready-made because of the unique window style so we ordered them from The Shutter Store" They were made to our measurements, we picked out the stain, wood type, slat width, mounting type, etc. Lots of other options. They are "OK" quality, and the customer service is terrific. They were very affordable, just under $4000, versus Hunter Douglas which were over $15,000.