Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elena07_gw

Please tell me what you think of my new rug. (PICS)

elena07
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just got a new rug for my living/dining room combo and would like your opinion of the rug in this room. Also, please take a look at my lamps and tell me whether or not you think the shades are too small for the lamp base. I am still looking for a coffee table and other accessories to complete the room. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Elena

Comments (57)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I agree about the curtain rod--I don't know why people put them up so high. And I like the rug, agree about the lampshades' size, and a personal pet peeve--swap out your outlet for one that matches the wall, pleasebabyplease.

The hanging lamps in the corner by the window seem rather small and oddly placed. Anything that draws the eye to the cottage cheese ceiling isn't a good idea, IMHO.

I love the colors and textures, but it's a little catalogue looking for me. I'd like to see something that's more personal--not photos necessarily, but something that unique to you and that adds a dollop of individual taste--even bad taste, if it's witty or silly or fresh.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I think you are doing a great job. I love the rug and how all your colors come together. I think a solid or less busy rug would look great under the dining room table. I agree about the hanging corner lamps, they are too high. Also not crazy about the runner on the small table, I would forgo it. It looks like the floral arrangements on either side of the dining room windows might look better next to the mirror and take the iron leaves and put them on either side of the window. (flip flop) I might be wrong on that suggestion, because I cant really see the floral on the wall because of the angle of the picture. Its just an idea. I think the lamp shades need to be bigger but would have like to have seen a picture of both with the couch in between, its hard to be certain from this picture. I would not get a coffee table. I think it will be too much furniture in that room.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Cute, cute, cute! You're doing a great job! Love those colors!

• elena07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. The more I look at the rug I do think it looks a little on the small side. The current rug is 5x7, the next bigger size is 8x11 and $150 more. Do you think it is worth it? The front half of all the furniture would sit on the rug while the back legs would sit on the carpet (hardwoods someday). Would that look ok? Or do you think I would be ok keeping this rug and pulling the chairs closer to the rug like someone suggested. I do plan on getting rid of the torch lamp once I get some lamp shades that fit. Until then that is our only source of lighting on that side of the room. Please offer suggestions on coffee tables. I know someone mentioned a leather ottoman (which I would like) but I was thinking a small glass top table with a wrought iron base so it doesn't hide the rug. What do you think?

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

A few things you might want to consider...
    it is a smallish room with alot going on already. These are things I might change.
    -Take the candle sconces away from picture and put one on each wall next to window.
    -Get rid of standing floor lamp, & hanging corner pendants
    - remove table runner from end table, much too overpowering
    -larger lampshades, different shape maybe
    -personally I would lower the curtain rod as well, shorten the curtains and remove middle panel, either take it away completely or add half to each other panel. It just seems way to busy and not restful.
    - I would move the leaf candle sconces to a different location, maybe further out or new location entirely ( like each side next to dining room window)

The colors are all warm and very luxurious feeling. You have good depth and texture. I think taking some of the heaviness away from the room will make you feel much more restful in your wonderful space.

• beausoleil
    15 years ago

I think it would be well worth the $150 to get the next larger size rug. It pulls together every color you have in that room. I love the energy the room has, and I'm assuming that it suits you, otherwise you would be posting to change the color, etc. Larger lampshades would be great on your lamps too. Maybe you could find a fun little lamp for your round table to bring some light to that side of the room as well. I think a glass coffee table would be nice as it wouldn't weigh down the room and you could see the wonderful design of the rug through it.

What an uplifting room!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home

• elena07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took others suggestions and made a few changes. Please let me know what you think. I moved the furniture two different ways to see which way looks best. Thanks, Elena

• haberichter
    15 years ago

Whoa, I REALLY like it with the couch under the big framed photo. It looks much more pulled together. I also like the ottoman on the rug - it seems to ground it.

Very, very nice. Great job!

I think it's awesome that you can take constructive criticism so well. I know many people here, myself included, commented on items that you weren't really looking for comments on.

Jen

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I think it's awesome that you can take constructive criticism so well. I know many people here, myself included, commented on items that you weren't really looking for comments on.

I agree! Heck, I bristled at a couple of comments, and it's not even my home! LOL! I really, really like the couch under the large print as well. Love the ottoman on the rug too! As for your question of whether to upsize to the larger rug -- well, if I had $150 just lying around, I might be tempted to do that. But as I likely wouldn't have any cash just lounging around all bored-like, I think I'd leave the rug just as it is. It still looks great. I think you've done a wonderful job here!

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I really love those rooms! The sofa on the picture side of the room is great. I love the window treatment as it is, a little different but eye-catching. I'd just remove the small table runner and use the leather ottoman. It's not overpowering and fits great in the room. Oh and yes, bigger lamp shades. It looks amazing. Beautiful job!

• estreya
    15 years ago

Hi! First of all, it's a beautifully decorated room. The pallet is so sumptuous and rich.

Having said that, something pops out at me, perhaps because it's just me being weird. But for some reason, i'm "bothered" (for lack of better word) by the cluster of vases you have on the dining room table, oddly, because they match the painting too well. The painting is so striking, and makes a very powerful statement. And i almost feel as if those vases .... i don't know ... trivialize the painting by being too "matchy match?" And i don't really think your dining room needs the adornment of them, because that mirror and dining set are already so exquisitely detailed.

That's just my absolute two coppers worth (probably worth far less). :)

What i'd be inclined to do is spread those vases out, perhaps replacing some of the smaller items with them, since they're larger and would "relax" the eye. I don't know. I would play with those vases. And then probably end up putting them right back where they were before i started moving them. :)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

elena07 - I LOVE your home and your new rug. The rug size seems fine and works with the way you re-arranged your room.

I even like the vases on the dining table. They match your painting and the type of painting is called design mimicking, still Life mimicking, architectural mimicking (or something like that).*LOL*

I have an oil painting of a living room scene, in my dining room. The artist said the painting was called Architectural "something". Within that painting, there are several items that I have placed either within the dining room, or nearby rooms. It's hard to explain and I can post photos if you like.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS room!

I agree about lowering the curtain rod. And I really think the rug should be larger. :)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

If you do put hardwoods down, a bigger rug would help anchor the furniture (on the hardwoods), but as it is now, it looks fine. The ottoman looks great, did you have that somewhere else? I like the couch under the picture. Seems to fit the space better,and you can spread out the end tables more. The round table looks better without the runner. The whole thing looks great. I do like the curtains hung high, I know that hanging them higher makes the room feel taller, or so they say on HGTV.

• susan1208
    15 years ago

Elena,

What a beautiful room. You should be proud. The colors are so rich.

Can you tell me what color is on the walls and also where you purchased the drapes. Thanks

I like the two chairs by the window. I know, no one else has said that. I guess that is why I keep coming back to this site. LOL.

Again, gorgeous.

Susan

• User
    15 years ago

Love both the style and execution, Elena. The room works very well, and the rug is brilliant. If you csn possibly swing it I would recommend the larger size, too. The rug is the glue that binds it all together.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Love your choice of colors and ability to pull it all together. I like the couch under the big print and the chairs on the opposite wall. It really opens up the room and allows people to walk in and not around the couch.

I don't see anything wrong with the vases, but do agree the curtains should move down a bit.

Great job.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Elena, I think the changes you made were well worth it. You have made the room look fabulous, modern and very inviting. I like the sconces in the dining room by the windows much better. I love the chairs in front of the windows.
    Is there enough room for the sofa that way with the dining room right there? If not, the sofa under the picture looks great also.
    I am glad you took the runner off and removed the center curtain panel, looks much lighter and beautiful.

I think that when you said "any suggestions appreciated" that many of us assumed you meant "any suggestions appreciated" and thats why we commented about other things not directly mentioned. I am hoping nothing I said offended you and if it has I do apologize.

Your home looks lovely. You made some really nice changes and kept the warm, luxurious feel of your home intact.

• n2cookin
    15 years ago

Absolutely a beautiful room! What is your wall color? I can't offer any suggestions as I love it any way you have it!

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Okay, loved it before, but now that you've re-arranged, it's even better!!

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful room! Gorgeous colors. You have a great eye.

I like the first arrangement or the last one. Actually, for some reason the first one, with the chairs on the side with the painting, looks good to me, really full and right.

The only thing I'd change is to give the little round table a quarter turn so the grain is parallel to the wall. Sounds weird, I know. I didn't used to be such a little nitpicker before I started hanging out here on this forum so much. Whatever you decide, you have a beautiful place there.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Love everything about your spaces! Beautiful, beautiful job. I was only going to ask if you planned on a coffee table or something, because the rug looks a bit lost on its own out there on the floor : ) I see you've already got a perfect piece on hand, though, lucky you. Love the ottoman and accessories you added. Looks perfecto!

Gorgeous place : )

• juicyfruitkid
    15 years ago

I love the colors in your room! I also like furniture moved around better.I also like the ottoman on the carpet. The only thing to change is the size of the lamp shades.(Just need to be a little larger) Nice Room!!

• loribee
    15 years ago

I ditto juicyfruitkid...
    What a lovely room full of color and texture! You did a great job! :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I would love to see a night shot! Candles and all :))

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

Just had to say wow! What a gorgeous room! The changes you made make it look even better, if that's possible. I love the warmth and richness of the room. You have great taste, and you really pulled it all together beautifully.

Jan

• les917
    15 years ago

I like the couch moved to the right hand wall below the pix. Once you get larger lampshades (and drum shades might be cool), I would take down the candleholders on either side of the art. They are too similar in size to the frame, and kind of overwhelm the piece. Take them and try them on either side of the DR mirror - you have a large wall there and the mirror has more visual weight to handle those.

I still think the rug is too small, so if you can afford the larger one, I would try it.

The lamp on the round table is too small, imo. WIth the opening to the entry there, I would skip a lamp on that table. Keep the palm down in the corner, and add an uplight or two on the floor or in the plant to bring some light to that corner without having to have a big lamp there.

Honestly, I am not crazy about that candleholder in the entry. How about taking the two leaf shaped candleholders that are now in the DR and putting them there, one hung a bit higher than the other? Or, take the three hanging candlelamps from the corner of the LR, and hang them at various heights above the ledge that separates the entry from the LR.

In the DR, have you tried having two chairs on either side of the table, and nothing on the ends? Having one chair centered on each long side feels kind of out of balance to me. I would also take the three vases and use them on the round table in the LR, and either leave the DR table bare to show off the center design, or add a tropical floral arrangement with all your hot colors to the table. I think the three shiny vases fight with the three shiny pendant lights.

One other thing. Consider adding a few pillows, perhaps a throw, maybe a few of the flowers in the tropical arrangement, in a cream or light beige color. I think you need a little bit of light to break up all the strong color - a resting spot for the eyes. Something like this to replace a couple of the hot colors (maybe the red ones) on the couch pillows:

paloma pillow

I would also think about taking off at least one pillow per seagrass chair, or changing them to one lumbar pillow each. The texture and interest of those is kind of being hidden by all the shiny pillows, especially as you look at them from the front. A few pillows could come off the couch, too, to make it feel a little easier to find a place to sit.

You have done a great job in the room - sometimes a little tweaking just helps pull it together.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Still gorgeous this morning!

Yeah, I was thinking drum shades too.

I like the shiny colorful pillows, don't see why you would need any more light neutrals in a room like this as you already have the expanse of the carpet. It's just not that kind of a room. You don't want to bring it down. :-) Agree that the larger rug would be preferable, especially given that you plan a wood floor in the future.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Poor dear is probably feeling a little overwhelmed now, with all the suggestions. ;(

Personally, I prefer the third panel on the window IF you do not lower the curtains (which will mean hemming). However, I would either add more bamboo from the ceiling down, and layer with the existing bamboo shades, OR put something in those green spaces. Wall words?

I do agree about the rug if you really do plan on putting hard wood down in the next few months. If the hardwood is a pipe dream, keep the smaller rug.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I love the last arrangement and while the larger rug might be better, it's pretty the way it is now. But is this really how you're going to live? Cocktail glasses and napkin rings? It does look like magazine or catalogue shoot, if that was your goal.

• elena07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thank you all for your suggestions and nice comments.
    Acountryfarm - No offense taken...I truly did want other people's opinions on the room and you stated your honest opinion and I couldn't ask for more. I was trying to look at the room from other people's point of view. When you live with something one way for so long you tend to become used to certain things and not notice them till someone with fresh eyes points them out. I know that ultimately it all depends on what I like but I am always open to others suggestions, especially if I think it will make the room look and feel better.
    Newhomebuilder - Can you please post some photos of your dining room?
    Alright, you all have convinced me to use some of my "Rebate Check" and help boost the economy by buying the larger rug! I am also going to look for some other lampshades. I'm thinking about putting some iron scrolls in the gap above the windows, what do you think? I have posted a picture of the 2 chairs that I plan on buying that will sit at each end of the dining room table. I have also posted a picture of my hearth room where I took the ottoman from. I now need another ottoman to replace the one I took from this area or find something else for the living room.
    I know some have mentioned that the room looks too catalogue looking which is not my intention. We just recently started furnishing the room. I do think over time once the room is actually lived in it will have a more lived in look. However I do enjoy reading and talking to my family in there. I do have 3 kids so most of the time it does not look like this. It usually has a few toys or books laying around. I would also like to find a buffet or sideboard to put under the mirror in the dining area. Again, any suggestions appreciated and thanks again to everyone for all your help. I will post pictures once I get the new rug and shades and make some suggested changes. Oh and I'll also include a nightshot, like someone suggested, with all the candles lit. I love the way the room looks with all the candles lit!
    Elena
    **Oh, I almost forgot, for those that asked I got the rug at Target. I have to order the larger one online. The paint color is Tate Olive by Behr (which I don't recommend). I love the color but the coverage is horrible unless you love painting coat after coat. You can get the color in a different brand of paint though, which I highly recommend! The silk drapes were bought at JCPenney.com.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

elena07...You're whole house is amazing. I wanna live there! I just love your style and colors. Trust your judgment after you consider all the suggestions, you have great taste :-)

• mistihayes
    15 years ago

I like the rug. It brings the room together. I really like the changes you made. Makes a big difference. You're bold & you're is beautiful. Good for you using those colors. I wish I had your gift to decorate.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I'll post the oil painting and some dining room shots tomorrow after church. Just got home from a Girl's Inc. garden party and I am about ready to turn in. Y'all would have loved the home of the party! Really old and absolutely gorgeous!

PS - Your hearth room and bar area are neat looking. :)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I asked this on another thread then "forgot" which thread and can't go back now to see if my question was answered without an exhaustive search. Oh Lord, that memory of mine. Anyway, those little awning curtains. How are they installed? Are they regular curtains just drapped over a second rod or are they special curtains for this treatment? Please pardon my ignorance. I've just never considered these before, but am now. They are so cute. Thanks

• brutuses
    15 years ago

OK I'm bumping this so I can hopefully get an answer to my question about the window treatments.

• elena07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I bought the window treatments at Sears and they are made to look like awnings. It has been awhile since I bought them so I am not sure if they still sell them. They look very easy to make if you have basic sewing machine skills. They are rectangular shaped and a basic curtain rod is used on the top to hang them then another rod about a foot down that extends further from the wall. They sell the the double rods together and one extends out further than the other. I hope this helps.
    Elena

• ttodd
    15 years ago

What a WONDERFUL JOB you've done! You must be thrilled as well as you should be. Lovely, lovely home.

• ezbake
    15 years ago

beautiful!

• vdinli
    15 years ago

absolutely beautiful! love everything u have done..such rich colors and textures..
    can u tell me where u got ur living room rattan chairs? love them.
    thanks
    Vinaya

• brutuses
    15 years ago

thanks, I thought that's how they hung. I have a girl who is going to help me with some sewing projects. I'll talk to her about making some for me.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I love your rug. While it may be a bit small, I'm thinking a larger one would be too much for the small area, esp now that you say 8x11 is the next size up. That would seem to take all the floor space. The smaller rug size also seems to complement or flow with the window size, also. I do feel like I want to see a transitional border, though, which fills it out just enough, I think.

Here are two sizes of borders, as well as a large rug in there.

My $.02, and hope it helps : )

{{!gwi}}

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Elena, you have a great eye for color. I love your choices and you home is so pretty, plus you're a good sport. :)

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Squirrelheaven, I believe you're right about the larger rug.

• estreya
    15 years ago

Squirrelheaven, you never cease to amaze ...

• ideamom
    15 years ago

I think the smaller rug works fine. It is a small room and I think the larger rug would visually make the rug look smaller & too busy.
    Larger lamps or taller shades are needed & I don't think those hanging things in the corner add anything to your room.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Elena, I just love your room! It's exotic and has passion and soul. It's marvelous.

Here is a torchiere I like better for you.

{{!gwi}}

Or perhaps you like this one?

{{!gwi}}

Of coures this floor lamp would be yummy.

{{!gwi}}

If I had the money I'd get this one. I've always loved these.

{{!gwi}}

If you have a base for it (thrift store?) this handmade lampshade would be yummy on a floor lamp. I have a lampshade from this lady (even though I know how to make my own, so you know I really wanted it) and her quality is great -- I love mine.

{{!gwi}}

You could do a pair of these on your table lamps.

{{!gwi}}

Or, maybe you like this brown one?

{{!gwi}}

This red one is a lot like the one I bought.

{{!gwi}}

It sure is fun spending someone else's money! hehe

I should stop. I have no idea if you'd like any of these. If you do, there are always more like this on eBay... be sure to look in people's shops for more styles.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Elena?

Did everyone think I was crazy with these lampshades?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I like the first amd second torchiere! :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like 1, 3, and 4 : ) The fabric ones look like helmets to me : ? )