Anyone used BM Alexandria Beige HC-77?

decor64
15 years ago

Tell me about it please. THanks!

Comments (15)

• deconovice
    15 years ago

Yup, we painted this color in our office, here's a photo:

It covered up a pretty bright/dark blue easily with 2 coats. I have been happy with all the BM paints I've used.

• decor64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very nice. What would you say it reads as - beige, taupe, grayish, etc. Do you think it would work with gold accents? (the carpet color prevents a more golden paint from being used).

• meg711
    15 years ago

We used Alexandria Beige outside and it definitely reads as tan. Sort of like coffee with a lot of cream in it.

If you're talking about gold as in a metal finish, that would probably be fine. If you're asking about gold accents as in the color gold, I think that to make it work, you'll need a fabric, rug or something else that will pull the tan and gold colors together.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Yes, it's in my den:

In my light it reads as a greyish green.

• deconovice
    15 years ago

I agree with the other comments made about the gold accents- accessories or fixtures would be fine.
    It is definitely a coffee with cream color- I would actually describe it as a light taupe but maybe my intepretation of taupe is different?
    It looks great on the outside of that house!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I guess lighting makes a world of difference, as it doesn't read coffee with cream at all in my room.

Of course, my back yard is heavily shaded and has lots of trees and greenery, which could contribute to how it looks so different in my room. It definitely has a greenish look it to it here.

• budge1
    15 years ago

I used it on our fence and I remember when I washed out my brushes, it left the brushes with a definite purple tinge. It has that sort of pinky/purpley tone to it.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Pretty color that looks taupe to me!

reno - fan - Your room looks darker than the other two surfaces. perhaps the use of all the white trim on meg711 house and in deconovice study makes it look lighter.

I love the look in the study windows and shutters!

• decor64
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think it's going to work!

• tarzy
    15 years ago

I just found this message, and I wonder if this color would work with my rug - Karastan Samovar Persian Vase?

Redbazel seems to know this color very well. What do you think? Your use of the word "toffee" got me thinking it might work.

The rug is not quite as orange IRL. It is not really a cool rug - it does have a very warm feel, with all the golds, reds and greens. It looks fantastic and crisp with my white bedspread.

I'd love an opinion!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I think it would work very well with your rug, Tarzy. Of course, you may have all your painting done now already, but I just found this thread again. Lighting is going to be an issue with any color you use. But some colors, such as reds, or blues, or even true yellows, are still going to look like themselves in pretty much any type of lighting. It's the more mercurial colors--the beige with green undertones, the sage with brown leanings, the golds that look softer and warmer in bright light, but deep and intensely gold in low-light, that are most dependant on lighting. I looked at your wood floor, rug and bed, and think that Alexandria Beige would be very complimentary. For some, it could be darker than they like, but we did not find it so, even in the small confines of the bath and shower area. I like the undertones of murky green in my rooms, but certainly can see that it wouldn't look that way at all in some lights, especially rooms with a lot of light.

Did you make a decision, or are you still at it?

Red

• tarzy
    15 years ago

Red - thanks for the very informative answer! Actually, I've made some major changes in that room. I have moved that rug into a totally different room, because it just was not working with the floor. That rug is beautiful, and I was so attached to it in the BR, but it just didn't work with the stupid pale Pergo. I moved it into the guest room, which has oak hardwood (original from 1925) and it looks so much better. I was sad at first, but now I've done some things to the BR and I realize sometimes you just can't fight what's there.

I moved another Karastan (Ivory Oushak) into the BR. It has browns, greens and a touch of amber, and it just works so much better with the floor. I bought a very pretty green duvet that looks great with the cherry furniture, and some bronze brown drapes (called "pecan" from RH). Just today I bought some wall decor with bronzy frames that work really nicely with the drapes. What a difference! Even the wall color almost works now - but I think I can do better. Maybe the Alexandria Beige?

I was very torn between green and brown drapes, since both colors are in the rug, but I thought the bronzy brown would bring a little more variety into the room than more green. I need to find a new wall color that will work with all these elements, but the room looks 100 times better with just those changes already!

The room has a sort of modern mission feel to it now. I actually love it for the first time!

If you have any suggestions for a wall color, I'd be very happy to hear them!

Sorry - very long answer to your question!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sholt576
    15 years ago

Thanks for the discussion of AB. I painted a patch of wall in my tiny master bath with it, and dh walked in and said 'I don't like the green.' Ok, so I guess in our lighting it reads green. (BTW, that's not to say it isn't a great color, it just doesn't work with the tile in our MB.)

Right now my other choice is on the same card- Davenport Tan. It is quite a bit darker, and my room is quite small. I know conventional wisdom says not to paint a small room too dark, but since I've also read the opposite, perhaps I'll go with it and see for myself.

• mrs10yt
    15 years ago

I am considering painting my guest bedroom this color - what do you think? I am torn between that and Davenport Tan.

Maybe I can accent one wall or the wall with the window with the darker Davenport?