Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

New info on pink teen room--Input on this pink please?

beache
15 years ago

On another thread I asked for pink colors for my DD's bedroom. She has white furniture, will have black and white bedding, and black and white photos on the walls.

She's been driving me crazy!! None of the pinks I've shown her have been "right". I don't know what she's picturing in her head. So although I prefer Ben Moore paint, I sat her down with the SW fan deck the other night and made her choose a color. At least with SW I can get the sample cans for just a few bucks.

Anyway, she picked a color called Pink Moment (SW 6857) and I painted some on the walls. It seems REALLY bright to me. Any of you with a fan deck (or you can preview it on the SW website), can you give me your impressions? It is a big room with high ceilings, white trim and pale gray carpeting.

Some of her friends have really intense, deep pink rooms that hurt my eyes! She claims she doesn't want that look, but I'm worried that when it's on all four walls, it will look just like that---you know, so bright that it "glows" out into the hallway?

Comments (22)

• bestyears
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm... that's an interesting choice. I've got the fandeck here, and to me, that pink has a lot of yellow in it. If you compare it to the strip before, for example, which seems more true, pure pink to me. Kind of a sophisticated choice I think, as long as it is what she is picturing. I would be concerned about that as well as the brightness. I agree with you that it seems verrrry bright, but teens seem to have different visual palettes. I would definately get the $5 sample and put a big section of it up. Maybe even get 4 pieces of poster board and put them ALL up at the same time.
    Lynn

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I kind of like it! Better to go with something she is picturing, rather than what you are. Once it is up, I think it will be quite nice once all the bedding and wall decor are up. Have you looked over at RMS for some inspiration? I seem to go over there to see what others have done. At least it will give you a sense of what it might look like in a finished room. There are plenty of pink teen rooms accented with black and white!

Here is a link that might be useful: RMS

• beache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bestyears,

Actually a more sophisticated pink is what we're after. I was just hoping it would be more muted. I don't mind the depth of the color, just the "hotness" of it.

kmcg85,

I'm so trying to give her what she wants. Gotta bite my tongue sometimes!! She's turning 13 so I want her to love it. But she is also very fickle, and I don't want to paint it again anytime soon!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

beache: I went through similar thing with my DD (also 13) only the color was orange! As I did not like the color I discouraged her and pursuaded her to change to something I liked better. We compromised and painted her room purple with one bright yellow accent wall. She liked it OK, but when the following year we embarked on a remodel and the sloppy demo crew damaged her walls when they tore up the baseboard and I had to repaint, she again asked for orange (the brighter the better). This time I agreed, though we still compromised a bit. I bought her a bright orange comforter, then did a paler orange color for the walls with a bright orange stripe across the middle. She loves it (though I hate it)!

I consider it my insurance against her ever getting tattoos--as she cannot say I did not allow her to express herself.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I let my boys choose their own color. We went to the store and I said they could have whatever color they wanted. I have two boys. My 10yr got bright blue, my 11yr wanted UT Longhorn orange. We colormatched one of his t-shirts. They were both so happy to get their own rooms and actually decorated them. We even went to IKEA and they bought rugs and accessories. It was like the greatest gift ever.
    It's their room. It doesn't have to match the rest of the house. Nobody ever sees it. The older they get, the less you'll see it!
    I like color so maybe it's easier for me.
    There is the perfect pink out there but a couple of shades one way or the other won't kill you but it will make her super happy. At 13 that's very important.
    I think as long as it's decorated nicely (which you will do with the black/white) it will be perfect.

• les917
    15 years ago

I looked at it on my fan deck, and it has a bit of a coral tone to it. Strong, but pretty.

Once you get all the white furniture and black and white bedding in there, you need a strong enough color or the black and white will overwhelm it.

I say go for it!

• beache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a bit coral. Everything I showed her that I considered a true pink, she said was too purple. Guess I was looking more toward raspberry. I've got swatches on three walls so we'll look at it in all the different lights and decide.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hi, just wondering on what color you decided on...IF you have decided. It took me a year before I painted my DS room red...and now I love it!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

I painted my daughter's room a beautiful BM pink color. Unfortunately, I am at work and I don't have the number. I will find it when I get home and take a picture of it for you. It is a wonderful feeling in the room- it is hard to explain, but the pink is muted somewhat and seems to wrap you in warmth rather than shock you with color.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

That was a tease,LOL! Hurry up and get home, it sounds wonderful!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Sorry- however, the payback is now that I promised to take a picture I have to clean it first :). Maybe I can find an angle that hides the normal mess,LOL.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Well, I made it home and looked up the color. It turns out it was actually a Sherwin Williams, not a BM paint color. I usually use BM, so I think I must have had the same situation and finally went to SW to see what I can find. Any way, the color is SW 1584, Gumdrop. Here are a few pictures. The 3rd picture was with a flash and it seemed to just reflect all of the pink back at you. It is nowhere near as bubblegum bright as the 3rd picture, but not quite as washed out as the first two.

It is hard to have the color come through well with picture and then upload, but I hope it gives you somewhat of an idea.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I love it.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Oh, Magnaverde, you are so right.

• polkadots
    15 years ago

Magnaverde, I'm copying that wonderful post for future reference! My girls are 6 and 4 now and already the 6 year old is prodding me to change her paint color. I am holding out until I can get more mileage out of it as you suggest above!

Thanks for the great read!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I've got a fandeck here too and Pink Moment looks like you died and woke up in a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

That said, Magnaverde gave you The Best Advice Ever. :D

It wasn't long ago that someone here took a look at my bedrooms thread, and mentioned a picture in there of a lilac room and said she always wanted one as a kid but her mother would never let her have one.

• peaches12345
    15 years ago

Oh, boy. I just did the color thingy on the SW site where you pick a simulated room, find your color (in this case Pink Moment), and then 'paint' the walls. It was exactly like waking up in a bottle of Pepto would be. But, you can choose any SW color you want, so try all the pinks and see which she really does like.

• beache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the board for a few days and missed that my thread was up for discussion again!

Thanks for all your comments.

Jen4268, That is a very pretty room, but SO not what my DD wants. I brought home 2 more sample quarts and slapped them on the walls. Nope--hated them. So, really, who am I to tell her which color with which to surround herself? The room is big enough. It can take the color.

DD is a dancer. Loves to be on stage. Almost 13. And a girl whose dream is to live in NYC someday (hence the large framed black and white photo of the Brooklyn Bridge at night that will be going on the wall). I think she wants a rather sophisticated room-maybe this is her image of what a dancer living in NYC would do with her space. But of course my idea of sophisticated and a 13 year olds idea are going to be very different! I think she wants a "cool" teen room, but not in a typical PB Teen way. I agree that it's her space and I don't care whether it "goes" with the rest of my house. But she will be getting the bucket out and repainting if she is sick of it in a year.

So deep coral pink walls, white trim. Oh and let's not forget the ballet barre and wall of mirrors either!

Magnaverde, I just adore you!

• sarahmakes6
    15 years ago

I agree with letting your daughter choose the color, even if you hate it. I did that last summer with my 13 yo DD and ending up painting a bright yellow-green that I absolutely hate, but she loves. I kept trying to point out to her that all the chips she was choosing were yellow-based and therefore unacceptable (to me), when she finally told me that was why she really liked them. I caved and she loves it. Bet yours will, too. :)

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Well Pittsburg Paints have small color pots as well as Ace Hardware - you can always match them in your favorite paint brand.

If your daughter has a certain pink in mind - where is it coming from? Ballet slippers? Construction paper? Favorite shirt? Band CD cover? I.e. if she has seen it somewhere e maybe you can have it color matched like in the Lowe's commercial? Take her out to look at cards in card shops (lots of pinks), fabric stores, clothing stores, Library for flipping through decorating magazines, anywhere where you can find THE pink to match. Let her bring the color to you.

• alex9179
    15 years ago

Wow, that is pink. I was thinking of a deeper shade like I saw on Decorating Cents once. Look at Heartfelt and Begonia. It looked great with the white furniture they put in there.
    When les mentioned a coral, I visualized Henna Shade. I painted our guest bath that color and it's just wonderful. If you HATE this Pepto color, it may be an option you can both live with.
    The colors mentioned above are all Sherwin Williams.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator