Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannbehome

LR Part III: Not paint, but area rugs! Advice please

WannBeHome
12 years ago

After my previous post, LR Part II, a lot of people asked if the rug was staying. I think I should replace it. The more I look at my photos the more I think the red just isn't right for the stone fireplace. I also think it brings out more red in the sofas, which are staying. I am also sampling some stain to darken the current color of the wood trim. Can you help me choose a rug and perhaps any ideas on paint colors?

Here is the LR @ present...

{{!gwi}}

Here are the paint samples that did not go over very well, lol...

{{!gwi}}

And inspiration photo of the wood trim...

traditional laundry room design by minneapolis general contractor Stonewood, LLC

Living Room inspiration photos...

traditional living room design by denver interior designer Aneka D Jensen

contemporary living room design by san francisco general contractor Harrell Remodeling

traditional living room design by minneapolis general contractor Stonewood, LLC

I know they are pretty different.

And some rugs I am looking at. What do you think?

http://www.overstock.com/cart?qty5963676=0

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ShoppingCartView?quantity_1=0amp;langId=-1&storeId=10052&orderId=2444702&updatePrices=1&catalogId=10551&calculationUsageId=-1&calculationUsageId=-2&calculationUsageId=-7&orderItemId_1=7106613

Any suggestions? Advice? Comments?

Thanks again!

Comments (20)

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

You have 3 big focal points on the same wall, the FP and the windows on both sides. I noticed in one of your inspiration pics the trim is dark, in the other it is white. As far as the trim goes, I think it depends on the wall color on the fireplace wall. Dark trim is going to create a lot of contrast with a light wall and will compete for attention with the FP, light will create a lot of contrast with a dark wall. I think it would work best if the FP remains the focal point and you either go with dark trim and dark color on the FP wall, or white trim and light color on that wall. I am no expert, but that is what I would do.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Neither of your links took me to view a rug, sorry. The first link said "your shopping cart is empty" and the second went to another all-text page about a shopping cart.

I like the last picture best, but would go just a little darker on the walls, to get some warmth, and some contrast. IME the medium to pale browns/tans/beiges trimmed in white are warm, and very easy to live with and decorate around.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

If you are using patterns in your rugs or curtains, then pick them out first. It's much easier to match your paint to your rug/curtains than it is to match your rug/curtains to your paint.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Here are your choices to make it easier to compare:

{{!gwi}}

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks olychick! How did you do that?

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Here are the instructions originally posted by someone else (sorry I forgot who).
    "Go to the website with the photo, put your cursor on the photo and RIGHT click and a box will pop up. LEFT click on VIEW IMAGE INFO A box will appear with the line LOCATION: followed by that photo's location on the web starting with HTTP and ending with JPG.
    Copy and paste the location into your post at GardenWeb.
    Type in front of it img src=
    It will look like this:
    img src=http and so on, ending with jpg
    Then add carets at the beginning and end.
    Preview the message and if you don't see the photo, something has gone wrong.

It is complicated to explain, easy to do. It's easier if you print this out and follow the instructions."

With the photos from Overstock, I had to click on them for a larger view before I could right click and get the VIEW IMAGE INFO to appear. And the Ballards weren't jpg photos, but I just copied the "image location" and put the at the end and it worked. (I added an extra space after src before the = in this paragraph or it would have thought I was trying to post a photo here!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Oh criminy, it DID think I was trying to post a photo and messed up my instructions! let me try again. The instructions are correct, my explanation about Ballards is goofed up.

I copied the img location even though it didn't end in jpg and it worked fine. Just use the regular instructions but note that not all pics have jpg at the end.

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks olychick!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Well, no one else has weighed in yet on your rugs. I absolutely love #1 with your fireplace and leather. the pattern and colors seems like they could carry both and not be lost, nor too bold. I'm not crazy about #3 because of the odd way the patterns are cut off where they connect. The others are pretty, though. I'm sure others who will know which might work best will express their opinions.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I really like the traditional rug #3!

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

olychick and loribee thank you for the feedback. I had to lol since you two totally disagreed on rug #3.

Thanks! Anyone else?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like #s 1 & 2, and don't care at all for the others. I think I'd go with #2....

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dianalo.

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump

• homersmom
    12 years ago

I like any of the first three.

• User
    12 years ago

I also like any of the first three... I even like the last one but I think if you are trying to minimize the red then stick with the first 3.
    Just took another look, and if I had to pick my favorite for the setting, I would go with #2.

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

homersmom and sheilaaus, thanks so much for suggestions.

• Verti
    12 years ago

I have rug #2 (though don't have it out atm due to repainting the room it was in)and it is very pretty in person. The base color is a bit more of a cooler green than it appears in the overstock pic online (on my monitor anyway).

All the rugs you posted are nice, so think it all just depends on the overall look and color scheme you are trying to achieve.

• WannBeHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Verti, Glad to hear you are happy with your O rug!