Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scampi_gw

Need small house paint color ideas

scampi
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a very long time lurker and it's now time for me to come out of the shadows. I've recently posted on the Smaller Homes Forum and they think I could use some ideas from you wonderfully creative people!

I don't want to do a duplicate post, so I've linked below to my original. To sum it up, we bought a small home about 2.5 years ago and have lived with it to get a feel for everything prior to doing any major updates. Well, never mind major updates, I haven't even done minor ones!

We want to paint the house this long holiday weekend and we can't decide on a paint color! The colors that are definitely off our list are greens, yellows and white. We are leaning towards blue or taupe, but I'm worried that blue will make our already tiny house look even smaller! It's only 700ish sq ft!

After we get the house painted, I'll probably be hanging out here for a while as I tackle other projects. I've got the front entry to liven up, update the kitchen and also the LR.

The good thing about this house is everything that needs to be done is solely cosmetic. Mechanicals and structure are top notch. Unfortunately, DH and I are great with mechanicals but the decorating genes went to our siblings! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: My post in Small Homes Forum

Comments (35)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Hi Scampi,

What you probably need are the talents of one of the photoshoppers here:-) What a cute house!

I just wanted to ask if you'd thought about a lighter blue green color? I've been seeing that color on a few of the cottage style bungalows in an older neighborhood near me and they are charming. I'm seeing black and antique white used on the trim- which might sound weird, but looks great:-)

There's a house painted this color (Squirrel will know what I am talking about -- it's GG - giverny green, as I call it) that I bike past once a week at least, and I always stop to look at it.

Good luck with your colors!

• scampi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi decorpas,

If a talented photoshopper should come along with ideas I would be eternally grateful! I too see a lot of black trim and I do like it a lot. Most of the houses that I'm seeing this on are much larger than mine though.

I think it's the size that's really got me so confused on this. It's hard to see a beautiful color combination on a 2,500' colonial and try to envision it on my little doll house!

Thanks again!

• decorpas
    15 years ago

The house I mentioned to you was a small house-- It was between 800-1200 sq ft probably.

Older section of town, a lot of small cottage style homes. Very charming.

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for you:-)

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

In my opinion the taupe is too drab for your cute house. The blue is better, but what about something more cheerful? I have an old house in a neighborhood of small old houses. I've seen very pretty homes in pale aqua, creamy taupe (not gray, not pink), butterscotch, gray green, and deep teal, most with warm white trim - all were cheery and not in-your-face. I've also checked out a couple of great books from the library that I found by searching on "exterior paint."
    Diane

• scampi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks powermuffin. (Love that name!)
    I too was thinking the taupe would be too drab. I saw a small red house that has white trim and black shutters that looked awesome. Unfortunately we lived in an old farmhouse for 20+ years that was red and I'm tired of that color.

I think I'm starting to go cross-eyed from viewing all of the colors on the SW and BM sites!

• deegw
    15 years ago

A house down the road from me is painted the most charming moss green with black shutters. On a big house the color would be too much but it is perfect for a small one. I'll see if I can swing over and get a pic. The owner will probably think I'm a stalker.

I don't know the exact color but I'm including a link to a similar color. (It's the stripe color)

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Fern Shoot

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I agree that because it is a small house you can use a dark or bright color with contrasting trim.I think a dark blue with white trim would be really nice. I hope someone photoshops it for you.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well I've been playing a bit but having trouble changing the trim. Haven't given up yet but here's a few without touching the trim. I desperately want to give you a window box. Any chance of moving the AC unit? I just love it on your house!

• jyyanks
    15 years ago

I actually like the blue you posted in the Smaller homes forum (linking to it here for reference). I don't think it is too dark at all. There is a cute little cape in my town with that color blue, creamy white trim and a dark red door. I think that color combo would look so nice on you house.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I like that blue that ivyanks posted, maybe lindybarts can try a mock up with that blue. I think it would be so nice . I was also wondering about a small portico over your entrance.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well I thought that blue above was close, but maybe not. Is this one closer? Forgive my white trim...white is hard to achieve unless you go thick on the paint. I also cut out a red door found online but maybe she wants to keep the screen door on top??? Like my Christmas wreath in the Spring? LOL

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Oh Lindybarts that is so good. You are very talented/
    Scampi: What do you think of the idea of a small portico.

• scampi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindybarts, your photoshop talents are amazing! The window boxes will definitely be added to the front windows! (That's my 16 yr old DD's room and there is another window around the right side of the house that we can move it to.) I think I'm going to relocate the shrub that's on the left side of the entrance. It's a PJM rhododendron that has already past bloom. It was there when we bought the house and I think it's too big for that location. I love the last pic you mocked up with the blue and the white trim. DH and the kids aren't as thrilled with it as I am. They are more conservative! LOL

Eventually we will be bumping up the roof and adding 2 dormers to make this a cape, and then we will be building a porch on the front, but that could be 5 years from now.

I drove past a house yesterday that has the taupe color scheme that everyone loves. I think I'll try to get a pic of it today to see what everyone thinks. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I've searched on the web for a similar pic, but I can't seem to find their color combo.

We're definitely replacing the old screen doors with ones that look like this:

I saw this image somewhere and it's something that I may attempt at the front:
    {{!gwi}}

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Hi Scampi,
    What a darling little house! I love your inspiration idea for the front porch too. There is a SW color called Sea Salt, which is a lovely grayish green (#6204). When I was googling it (I was going to use it in a bathroom), I came up with quite a few links to cottagy-type neighborhoods where this was one of approved exterior colors. Which makes me think it would probably work pretty well on your house. Maybe Lindybarts can photoshop it?

Lynn

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Love Sea Salt...here's a similar color (I don't have the SW program)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Taupe can be so many shades. I think of Taupe as a beige with purple undertones...if that's the color you were thinking, here's one like that.

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I'd stay away from the blue, since it makes your house look smaller.

Lindy: Any chance you could do a light sage green with cream/off-white trim?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Sure...coming rigt up OS.....

Scampi, just curious why on the first post you excluded greens, yellow and white? Seems to be what everyone is thinking might look good. Are there houses nearby with those colors or did your family just not like those shades?? Did you ever take a picture of the Taupe you wanted to try?

Lindy

• bestyears
    15 years ago

ooooh, love the sea salt! Nice job Lindy!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm going back and forth between Photobucket with the big photos and Shutterfly with the smaller ones...having trouble with Photobucket lately. Are they upgrading their software or something???

Here's a light sage green...is this light enough OS?

With Dark Moss shutters and black door

A little lighter shutters

Threw in a yellow just because...LOL

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

lindy: Yes, perfect! Thank you. The sage green and the sea salt are my favorites so far. :)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Wow, Lindy! What a great job you've done on these:-)

sea salt and sage green-- Yes. My favs, too. but I still want to see the greyed blue green color, because she likes blue so much and I thought the addition of the green in that color might warm it up, lighten it up.

Otherwise I love the sea salt and sage green, but I'd like to see the sage a little lighter.

blue green colors: Like October Mist, French General's Plume Bleu, BM Cedar Grove or BM 681 green wave (I got this one of My Perfect Color, but you know how their online colors differ, so it may not be the right one), any verdigris sort of color. With an antique white trim and possibly black on the decorative details or on the smaller bits of ex trim. ;-)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Organic, I agree with you that the sage green and sea salt look the best. I also like the posts around the door painted white and not left unpainted. I wonder how a light blue would look with white shutters and white posts around thedoor with a blue or white door rather than the red since scampi seems to like the color blue. Also maybe beige shutters and a beige on a light aqua (blue green color like another poster suggested) would look nice also?

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I just checked your original post and I think a blue green with the white shutters and white poles by the door would look wondeful. Then we can play around with the color of the door.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Cottonwood by Ralph Lauren is a nice taupey tan also.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well here's a few I did but left the shutters dark...do you think they should be cream?? I have to get moving this morning and can't play more. Maybe tomorrow..I love playing with this house. Lots of colors look good which isn't such a bad problem to have! ;c)

Green Wave

Cedar Grove

Misted Green

Wythe Blue (shutters are Knoxville Gray)

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Okay, just one more. I swear I'm addicted and can't stop..LOL! I had to post this one because it's my new favorite.

Saybrook Sage

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Those look great, Lindy. I'm liking the last three, but I'm not sure the color is as rich as what I was picturing, which is why these mock-ups are so helpful. These blue green grey colors are tough to get right. Do you think they need to be more saturated?

• lynne_
    15 years ago

I really like the last one that lindybarts just posted. I also like the blues with the white trim.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Super transformations Lindy!

So far Sea Salt and Saybrook Sage are my favorites, love that arbor over the door!

• scampi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry everyone that I haven't popped back in. My pc crapped out on me and I'm borrowing a friend's right now. I love all of the different options you've been doing. It's amazing to see how different they all look!

I've also been busy caulking, cleaning and priming.

I promise I'll get back on again soon to follow up with everyone, but it may not be until Monday or Tuesday. I can't thank you all enough for helping me with this. And no, we still haven't decided on the final colors! LOL I'm the queen of procrastination!

The window boxes are awesome and I love how it looks with the rhody removed. Now I'll need to find a spot to move it to!

• leahcate
    15 years ago

I like several...wow to you lindybarts! May I request( please don't hit me) a short boxwood hedge lining the walk, ala Wmsburg , with perhaps some sweet allysum in front?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

LOL leahcate....no hitting...!

Here's a boxwood with Roosevelt Taupe paint...it sure loses something in the Taupe family but maybe I haven't hit on the right one. I like the soft sage greens best.

{{!gwi}}

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Oh! I love the boxwood. I envision a grassy mound on the left centered with a small tree like Jap. Maple, Dogwood or cherry, encircled with some white something. I actually LIKE this taupe color. Aren't cottage homes fun to do...as if I could! Thanks for taking our humble opinions, lindy, and working them in...includes us in the fun!:>)

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I really like the taupes and the greens best, and I think it is because these colors are creating an illusion by making the house blend in more with its surroundings, thereby making the house feel a big larger... if that makes sense.

• lamd
    14 years ago

Decorpas, do you know who makes French General's Plume Bleu? Thanks!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design