Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color Dilemma for old house

Posted by rinahen (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 11:26

Needing some direction on exterior paint color that would complement our 50s era ranch home. Also putting on new roof! Am including picture of our brick that is on front porch and walk leading up to house. Also have two roof choices. Just want to find a color to paint that will make the house look charming, fresh and updated. Thank you!

[img]http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/tuyfki2ewmnyzb88kw.jpg[/img]

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color Dilemma for old house

Could you post a photo of the house?

o

Here's a photo of the house ....

Hard to see it good for the trees and the length of the house....

Rina

IMG_0870.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: House photos

o

May I ask what are your roofing color options? From the large photo of the whole house exterior, It appears the jutted out portion of the home was matched to the peach/beige/tan in the pavers. The white portion IMHO seems disconnected. Not that there is anything wrong with the white on its own. Lighter colors will visually/emotionally enlarge and expand the senses while darker colors will create a more cozy/smaller feel.

What are your interior colors rinahen?

I saw these earlier...

Here is a link that might be useful: Beige exterior paint idea

o

PS I really like your landscaping!

o

I love your house and landscaping! I would keep it light since you have a lot of trees and shrubs surrounding the house....going dark IMO will just look too closed in. How about a light gray or tan/taupe. You could go with a lighter version of the "grout" in your pavers or pick a tan/taupey color from they pavers that blends with the peachy tones but will not look orange.

o

Hi Little Chic and Joanie Poanie!

I know the middle part of the house was painted differently than the rest (suggested to me because it was the entry area and to set off the brick). Always wondered what it would look like if all painted the same. I'm leaning towards a neutral color (warm gray or a taupe) for the house since we have lots of color in the house (greens, browns, oranges, blues). In addition to the new windows, paint .... we are also putting on a new roof. I've included the attachment for you to look at the two choices. The Owens Corning has a tad more gray in it and more definition and the GAF Timberline HD has more uniform color. Both are High Definition lifetime shingles. Had my husband put the samples up on the room and you really can't tell too much difference. Would like your opinion though. It's hard picking it since I don't know for sure what the paint color is yet. My husband is pushing to get the roof chosen so we can proceed ... roof, windows, and then paint last! What do you think?? Also am considering trimming back the shrubs and trees to make the house show a bit more.

[URL=http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Daddyslilgrl153/media/Roof choices/Timberline_Ultra_HD_Weathered_Wood.jpg.html][IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/Daddyslilgrl153/Roof choices/Timberline_Ultra_HD_Weathered_Wood.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Daddyslilgrl153/media/Roof choices/ocdriftwood.jpg.html][IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/Daddyslilgrl153/Roof choices/ocdriftwood.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Rina

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof choices

o

I like the roof that is more gray.....but you might want to choose house color first, then roof color. Obviously, if you go with gray paint, the charcoal roof will look better. If you go with tan or taupe, the other one will probably look better. I would paint the house all the same color.

o

The driftwood color shingles would be able to go in any direction as far as your exterior paint colors. It is personally my favorite. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Timberline color either. (I know, really helpful input, right? :) )

" I'm leaning towards a neutral color (warm gray or a taupe) for the house since we have lots of color in the house (greens, browns, oranges, blues)." ... I think gray roofing would allow you to choose grays, taupes/tans for exterior paint colors easily.

It appears both companies have high ratings...and the high def shingles will give you the look of dimensional. (nice choices)

My husband would be saying the same thing in regards to me choosing :)

A link I hope works shows a home that reminds me of your paver tones and the colors you have discussed....just food for thought.

I am not sure what shrubs you are cutting in regards to landscape, what I can see in pics it looks lovely. THe 3 little niche/shelves are a unique touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: tan/taupe n gray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here