Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Throw Pillows on a Couch

mary_max
9 years ago

What is proper etiquette for sitting on a couch full of pillows? Move them so they don't get smashed or sit on them and wreck them?

Comments (12)

• crl_
    9 years ago

At my house the kids use them for playing and everyone lies down with them as pillows. So do whatever makes you comfortable. :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Funny, DS just asked me to buy pillows for the couch. I never did for some reason. I asked why? He wants to be able to fall asleep comfortably, LOL.

I can't imagine a pillow would be wrecked if you sat on it unless it was of extreme poor quality.

Is you question about when you are offered a seat on a couch that seems to have so many pillows you can't find the couch cushion? Thankfully people I know have gotten away from that style but I remember not knowing how to sit in a mound of pillows.

• pillowsquasher
    8 years ago

I sit on the pillows and if there's a lot on the couch, I stack a bunch of them and sit on the whole mound. Once in a while, I get funny looks but most people don't say anything when they see me putting the pillows under my rear. I notice most people just move the pillows to the side and when I see that, I tell them that I want to sit on the pillow and they just give the pillow(s) to me. The more people move pillows away from them, the more pillows for me to enjoy. To me, even leaning on pillows is not really using them. I'm probably one of the few people who actually uses those types of pillows. I enjoy pillows the most when I'm sitting on them; especially, when they're very big and thick. I LOVE sitting on layers of softness!

• User
    8 years ago

Hmmmm.....I have never seen anyone sit on sofa pillows. Aren't they on the sofa for back support?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think they're meant to be leaned on, or put behind your back to make you more comfortable. I would expect a guest in my home to do whatever made them most comfy: Lean on them, prop up on them, or throw 'em on the floor. They're "only" fabric and foam (or feathers). ;-)

I even nap on mine occasionally. I try not to drool.

• pillowsquasher
    8 years ago

I'm most comfortable when I'm sitting on the pillows; to me, it just feels good. I know most people don't but that's just how I am. I try not to fart. ;-)

• schnukes .
    7 years ago

well I do agree with everyone here. I myself like to sit on the pillows especially the nice large ones, they are the best.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I would have a heart attack if a guest sat on my Fortuny or silk pillows! They would become very rumpled as they were not made to be sat on. I have always made sure that the seats of my upholstered furniture is very comfortable, depending on the piece. I have several pieces that are 100% down enveloped over foam (good support with softness), my LR has 75%down25% feather cushions. They feel wonderful to sit on but must have serious fluffing afterwards, and I also gave spring units covered with cotton batting - comfortable with good support. None of them need the addition of a throw pillow under them.

• decormyhomepls
    7 years ago

I have never seen someone sit on a pillow. Ever! I tell people to move them. We use our pillows to nap on too. They're throw pillows. Replaceable. I want us and guests to be comfortable.

• schnukes .
    7 years ago

Sometimes the pillow is softer than the seat cushion. I even put one on a chair when I can, sometimes when I need to wait for something in a store I will take a pillow off the shelf to sit on.

• pillowsquasher
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

At least, I'm not the only one who sits on pillows.