Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

Leaf stenciled dining room

debrak_2008
10 years ago

I used William Morris's "willow" as a loose inspiration.

The painting is done, the light is (securely) hung. Now need to have the floors redone (mr. sandless) and decorate.

Taken from kitchen.

Thank you to all who helped me go in the right directions for this light fixture.

This stenciling took about 6 weeks, only working a few hours each Saturday and Sunday. MUCH longer than anticipated.

Corners were killers. I have rotated and saved this 5 times in photo bucket! ugh

So glad its done and really happy with the results.

Comments (32)

• roarah
    10 years ago

Oh my that looks just like Morris paper! Wonderful work!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

It's wonderful, and how proud you must be of doing it yourself.
    The light fixture looks great, too! Congratulations on a job very well done.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Very elegant!

Very well done indeed! All of your hard work has certainly paid off -- what a lovely room! :)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

It was worth the work, it looks fabulous.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

You did a fabulous job on the stenciling - corners ARE killers, as are any edges but you aced it! Love the room and with fresh floor it will be stunning. Are you planning a rug or bare floors?

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the nice comments. Just bare floors. We have a dog and cat that shed like crazy. It is much easy to keep up with bare floors.

In the adjoining living room I just removed the area rug and like it much better. It makes the room seem larger.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Wow, so meticulous.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous-- I am so very impressed! You must stop and smile each time you walk through or near the dining room!!

• bestyears
    10 years ago

LOVE, love, LOVE it! Gorgeous job!!!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I love it! That is really terrific. What a beautiful job you did. I love the idea of having hand-crafted design in your artsy-craftsy-looking home, too.

• User
    10 years ago

You are REALLY patient and talented !! It looks wonderful . I love bare floors too ! The wood is cool and sensuous feeling :) If you can still lift your arms give yourself a BIG pat on the back .c

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Charming! You did a wonderful job.

• rosie
    10 years ago

What an exquisite job. It all comes together so beautifully. I love the whole thing.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Amazing work. It is looks terrific. You should be very proud.

Beth P.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Simply marvelous! You really did a spectacular job-I would never even contemplate it! The colors look great with the woodwork, too, which seems to glow next to the walls. The light looks terrific.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Wow! How long has stenciling been "back in"? Not that that matters. It looks so professional and I have just the place to add some interest to my DR, but I would never do such a lovely job as you. I'd pay you top dollar to my space!

• lala girl
    10 years ago

so gorgeous - I love the colors, and with the wood tones and the beautiful light - it is a wonderful room!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That is stunning! I love both colors and truly can't believe you stenciled that whole room. My head wants to explode at the thought of it, but obviously you have a different temperament than me!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Fabulous job! Love the birds in the corners. Really beautiful job! Love the chandelier too. It all looks really beautiful and professional.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all again for the nice comments. I'm don't know if stenciling is in or out, lol. In a past thread I debated wallpapering the room in the Willow pattern. The room has a lot of interuptions and I wanted to "soften" it. Palimpest explained that I was looking for a pattern with no decernable repeat.

The wallpaper wasn't going to work (price and durabiltiy) so found this stencil. It's from cuttingedgestencils.com. The stencil held up well considering how much work it got. Toward the end I cut it up to help with the odd corners.

I could only handle about 2 hours of it at a time as I would start to get sloppy and I couldn't focus. DD wants you all to know that she helped. When the stenciling was done, DD, DH, and myself, took small paint brushes and went around the room "fixing" things. We only spent about 20 minutes doing this but it was worth it. DD said if she was going to be forced to live with leaves on the walls at least they had to be neat.

The paint colors are olympic "sweet annie" and Eddie Baurer "bungalow gold". Both are mixed in valspar. We painted the living room the gold. The ceilings are a different color that I don't remember now.

Must say thank you to my darling DH who was very hesitant about this. He painted the ceiling and base coat green. He also would set up the paint for me and put it away when I was done. He is very neat about paint clean up and I am not.

The two birds gives DH as little symetry in a room which he likes.

Annie, you live in WNY but chance? I would at least help you if I could.

I will show more as the room evolves.

This post was edited by debrak_2008 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 20:05

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Take a bow! Great job.

I noticed the birds right away, and it's my favorite part. It is a bit of a surprise because, without it, it reads in photos as wallpaper.

I do think of stencilling as solidly out, but when something is as skillfully and tastefully done as your dining room, there is no "out". Brava.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

debrak: No, thousands away; but you have inspired me.
    Annie

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• User
    10 years ago

It's fantastic! Your dining room looks great with the colors and the pattern--- I am impressed that your DD and DH helped, too. You've done a wonderful job and I wouldn't care what anyone says, YOUR stenciling will ALWAYS be "in." Congratulations on a job well done!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I'm glad you posted pics, because I wanted to see how this turned out.
    WOW!
    It looks fabulous!
    Great job!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow! Definitely not the type of stenciling that goes in and out of style, it's wonderful. It looks right at home in your space! And that light is great too, good choice!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I didn't notice the birds before. Great idea!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

That's gorgeous! You must have the patience of a saint.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

Had to go back and find the birds! Really, it looks wonderful, you all did a great job.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

What a beautiful look you have created. I love it.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the postive feedback. It is especially meaningful as I've seen some of your rooms and am usually in awe of what you create. : )