Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wearybuilder

desperate for yellow bedroom pics

wearybuilder
15 years ago

I could just cry! I've looked at so many yellow paintchips from SW I can't even see straight anymore.

Thank you to all of you who posted on my other question. White Raisin is pretty, but to tan-ish. I agree the Daffodil is maybe too bright, but the painter thinks I'll like it after it's on.

All I want is a nice pure yellow, not baby pastel and not in your face teenager. Just cheerful without becoming crazed.

If anyone out there has a yellow bedroom they love, please post! This will be for 3 yr old DD.

I'm so weary, I'm considering throwing out the whole idea and going with SW Springtime or Gleeful.

Thank you...sorry to be so pitiful sounding. I'm just feeling overwhelmed in general lately.

W.

Comments (41)

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

My foyer is painted SW Lemon Chiffon and we love it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Take a deep breath! I know it can be sooo overwhelming when you are sweating the details.

Don't stress so much about DD's bedroom. It's got to be one of the easier rooms to paint over later if you're not happy with whatever color you go with. It's not like a 20x25 ft great room.

Decide how light or deep the yellow you want is. Line up the SW paint sample cards, you'll find some leaning to orange. Usually if you want a pure color it will be on the card that's in the middle of the rest.

Fairytale's lemon chiffon is pretty. The thing about yellow is it's ALL cheerful (She's three, she'll like whichever one you choose).

• chaispice
    15 years ago

If you can use BM paint, I have always heard that Hawthorne Yellow is a good, tasteful yellow. It has been a Pottery Barn color pick many times. Also, you might look at BM Barley and Concord Ivory, which is yellow. One thing about yellow paint, it often looks overwhelmingly yellow in a just painted room. After you put your furniture back in, it should calm it down.
    Good luck, you will find your color.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

OK, it is not SW, but here is a color I have used in two houses. It's BM Concord Ivory

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is a step down and is called Westin Flax.
    {{gwi:1529594}}

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Yellows are so hard to get right. They always seem WAY more yellow on the wall than they do on the chip. My experience has been find the color of yellow I THINK I want, then go more muddy gold from there.

Here is a retired SW color called Playful Yellow. It is very soft and cheerful. I don't remember what the strip looked like, but this was only the second color down, so you could go a bit darker if you wanted more oomph. This is a former house...I wish I had a better photo, this one doesn't really do it justice. It was a lovely color.

(Sorry for the vertigo-inducing angle of this pic!)

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Mine is from my previous house - please excuse the stripped-down look but the pictures were taken when the house was up for sale. The color is C2 Limon. It looks a little washed-out from the flash but it was a pretty light yellow like lemon yogurt, very cheerful but not overpowering. We're actually going to reuse the color in this house's guest room, we liked it well enough. It's pretty similar to the Lemon Chiffon shown above.

What I found I had to do was to pick a yellow I liked and then go one shade paler to keep it from going "egg-yolky" on the wall.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here is Benjamin Moore's Rich Creme

• User
    15 years ago

This is BM Hepplewhite Ivory. The part in the corner near the ceiling or that thin strip to the left of the door is where it looks most true. It is a pretty cheerfull yellow leaning to a lemon yellow.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

Try Jersey Cream from SW

Here is a link that might be useful: Jersey Cream

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

funcolors - I love your pictures. Can you tell me what color the blue is in the shot of the gold chair in the corner? Thanks in advance....

• User
    15 years ago

Our bedroom is a BM colour. If you like it I will look up the name. It looks soft sometimes, and very clear at other times.

• yborgal
    15 years ago

We used Stuart Gold by Benjamin Moore

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Note, you can buy a sample pot of the BM Rich Creme if you want to try it before committing to a large can. I really think you'll like it. It's very soft and has no undertones.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the BM Rich Cream and wish that was the color I used in my bedroom. The Ralph Lauren Deep Cream mixed in a BM Pearl Finish is finally growing on me after I added the sheers to my windows but has a tad of lemon in it that I like for other rooms but not for my bedroom. Brutuses, thank you for posting the picture of the BM Rich Cream.

I like gold and yellow walls but the tones of yellow vary so much I am learning. I am learnig the tone matters since it must go with what is in the room and the color changes with what is around it. Even my Linen blinds now do not clash with my walls anymore since I added the white Sensations Semi-Sheers to my windows.

Monablair, I love the Bm Stuart Gold with your furniture in those two beautiful bedrooms.

Kswl, That yellow is perfect in your bedroom since it goes so well with your drapes and bedding. Can you find out the name of the yellow please.

Funcolors, I love the SW Jersey Cream!

Chloe45, I love the BM Hepplewhite Ivory an almost used that color but thought it was too light but I see now it is very nice and not too light since it goes so well with white trim like I wanted.

Fairytailbaby, I just love the SW Lemon Chiffon in your foyer. It is so happy, bright and pretty... a very welcoming color coming into a home.

Bungalow House, that SW Playful yellow looks so nice on the walls going up the steps.

Newhomebuilder, I love the Weston Flax color on your walls.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

RL Yellowhammer.

Here is a link that might be useful: RL Yellow

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

The blue living room is done in Ellen Kennon's Wedgwood and the ceiling is EK's Aqua. That is one of my very favorite rooms ever. :D Her fruniture wasn't spankin' new, many of those pieces including the gold chair were hand-me-downs from parents. When it was done, the room was comfortably elegant. Not something that's easy to achieve IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints

• laurmela
    15 years ago

This is Waverly Soft Cream

I will have to see if I have another pic with the whole room.

• User
    15 years ago

Lynne2006, the color in our mbr is BM Hawthorne Yellow. We've had it that colour for almost two and a half years and have not tired of it yet.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

I would definitely paint a test on bristol board before committing to Hawthorne Yellow. It can be like eggyolk yellow in some circumstances.I had a designer choose it for my master, and weston flax for the ensuite.The weston flax I like becuase everything in the ensuite is white with very larege mirrors and windows hence lots of light.Our master bedroom faces north as well so that is something to consider as opposed to a southfacing (warmer) exposure. OUr floral bedspread had a lot of dark green and our furniture is oak with off white carpet. As you may know what you have in a room reflects onto the walls and with the green on the bedspread it really intensified the walls. So much that even the designer said it was not the right choice. Hubby would have shot me if I had suggested repainting as it is quite large. Instead I purchased a new comforter, still with greens but a much lighter color and it took it down a little. I have a lot of yellow in my home but my very favorite is BM Man on the Moon.I will never use that particular shade again as there are so many other nicer Bm yellows to choose from.

• mama2c
    15 years ago

SW Convivial Yellow. I think it would be perfect for a 3 yo room.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Kswl, Thank you for letting me know the color in your Master Bederoom is BM Hawthorne Yellow. It really is the perfect color for your bedroom. I am glad you still are enjoying the color after almost 2.5 years. I am really seeing that the accessories, trim, comforter and window treatments all make a wall color work or not work. Your room just works and I love the wall color.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

lauraella, I just love the Waverly Soft Cream. Please if you can, I would love to see it in a room.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I can second the vote for BM Barley. I have it in a small playroom in my summer cottage, and I know someone else who has it in her foyer. It's a nice cheery yellow but it's not too bright or babyish. Another similar color is BM Vellum.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Kswl, May I ask what light exposure your room is getting? My Master in Hawthorne Yellow faces north and the color is quite dark, AS mentioned in my post if you have dark bedspread it will reflect up onto the walls. I notice that you have a lot of white in the room and that and perhaps a different exposure would be the difference that there is such big difference.I certainly saw a difference in the color of the walls when I put on my lighter green or especially when I put on my white matlesse for summer. It was a real lesson for me seeing that difference in color with different bed coverings.

• teddas
    15 years ago

I did a really soft yellow Sole from SW I think, It is really light and no color changes...Yellow is hard to photogragh and this looks darker than it is.... I love it.
    {{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

"Delicate Cream" by California Paints

• kimbo2008
    15 years ago

wearybuilder,
    Don't cry! I think there are lots of good options posted here. When I saw that this is for your 3-yr-old, I thought I'd share pics of my 5 yr-old's bedroom. I went with BM Provence Creme. I like this yellow because it changes with the light, but remains very soothing (at least to me). It is on the lighter side, but this color makes my daughter smile... I also consider yellow a great neutral and if she gets into purple, animal prints, blue, etc it will always go. Best of luck to you on your paint quest...

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

kimbo: Beautiful yellow!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Kimbo, a perfect pretty yellow for a child's room. I love the room also. I love when children have fun happy bedrooms.

Organic, what wood species and what finish and stain are your hardwood floors? I really love them and now that I am considering hardwood floors, I notice this first about rooms. I also like he delicate cream on your walls. Yellow rooms are growing on me now which is making me happier with my Deep Cream bedroom. I just learned in life that tones of yellows have to go with other tones in the room an then cream and yellow walls work.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Hi Lynne! They're natural oak, no stain, just polyurethane (3 coats). :)

• bmmeaux
    15 years ago

Kimbo the room is just cute. I love the yellow. Can you give me the diminsions of the room? I think it will be about the size of my dd's room and I will have the same pieces.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Organic, do you know if your natural oak floors are white oak or red oak? I like the look a lot.

• kimbo2008
    15 years ago

mscajunpie,
    Thank you! I am glad you like it. That room is 12' X 14'...the wall with the bed on it is 14 ft wide, and my closet door is 2' 6". So the wall with the two windows and the wall with the 3 pictures and storage bench are both 12'. I was worried I would have too much furniture and that her queen bed was too big for the space, but it really is fine (her room in our former house was much bigger). Hope that helps!

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

Check out Ralph Lauren Surfboard Yellow. DS has had it in his room since toddlerhood, repainted once - he's almost 10. This shade is very versatile - looks great with navy, chambray blue, red. I think pink accents would work too.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

SW Vanillin (guest room at my old house)

{{!gwi}}

• perky_2
    15 years ago

My DD used BM Moonlight throughout one of her houses and in GS room. I loved it.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

Here's SW Compatible Cream on the wall and SW Napery on the ceiling in natural light. It's a nice yellow that's not too bright. There's a link to the finished room below.
    {{gwi:1538546}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bedroom on Rate My Space

• wearybuilder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OP here....thank you all so very, very much for all the responses! So many pretty colors!

I have narrowed it down to these so far:

BM yellow lotus (2021-50)
    BM provence creme (2021-60)
    BM hawthorne yellow (hc-4)
    BM weston flax (hc-5)
    BM sundance (2022-50)
    BM light yellow (2022-60)

SW lemon chiffon (6686)
    SW lantern light (6687)
    SW optimistic yellow (6900)
    SW lily (6693)
    SW glad yellow (6694)

Whew! I think my top 2 are SW optimistic yellow and SW glad yellow.

I'm calmer, but still twitching...I'd love some feedback on my "short" (LOL) list!

Thank you again! You've all been tremendously helpful! DH even offered to post a thank-you note! ;)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

lyfia, I just adore the SW Vanillin on the walls. I almost tried a sample of that also and now wish I did. It looks like it is a nice contrast with white and very neutral but pretty.

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Lynn2006,

I will have to take a current pic. The walls are Soft Cream and we did the ceiling in Clean White, I think, I will have to look. Love how it turned out.

Thanks,

Laura