Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodgal_gw

SW blue gray

goodgal
9 years ago

I have a dining room half wall is white wainscotting with wall paper. It is a large room and pattern is big. A designer said to go back with more current wallpaper but I want to paint. The background of the current wallpaper is almost navy with jewel tones in the design. I'd like to do a med-dark blue gray paint which she also said would be current but haven't found many pictures of blue in DR. This room has heavy white crown moldings as well. The 20 ft foyer next to it is done in Latte with kilim beige ceiling and heavy white crown moldings also white wainscotting there as well. Any suggestions? I looked at SW Aleutian but it might be too light.

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Look at Ben Moore Van Deusen and Van Courtland blues.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I used BM 2121-30 Pewter on my exterior. It's a saturated, bright, gray/blue. People tell me that the house looks fresh, which is exactly the look I was trying to achieve.

Some pictures of the color online look blue, others look gray. It really depends on the space and the light.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, any pics of the DR and bathroom? Might want to reverse it, do an antique gold in the DR and a pale gray blue in the bath depending on the stye and sophistication of the DR. Baths are good rooms for blue.

The SW strip with the Aleutian blue on it has a lot of purple in it, so be aware of that.

Also check out SW Smokey Blue.

• goodgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Narrowed it down to 5..
    BM Van deusen blue
    SW Smoky Blue,
    SW Bracing Blue
    SW downpour
    SW leisure blue
    Really stuck. They are all pretty but which is the most current updated blue? Feedback much appreciated!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Don't worry about what is current or updated. See if you can narrow it down to, say, three. Then get samples of each and paint white boards, or swatches right on the wall. Live with them for a few days, and see how the colors make you feel. Color is really about making a room feel a certain way.

I have to say, I just had my bedroom painted in SW Languid Blue, and I am pretty disappointed. Wish I'd gone with Van Courtland. The languid seemed like the exactl blue I was looking for, including the painted poster sheets I hung up for a couple of weeks. But it's come out much less gray than I wanted. Aargh. And I had to pay a painter to do it because of the height of the walls, when normally I paint myself. Otherwise, I"d just paint it yet again!

Sigh.

• goodgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am leaning towards Van Deusen Blue but hope it isn't too dark. I'd like a grey blue but hard to tell how it will look based on paint chips!

This post was edited by goodgal on Sat, May 3, 14 at 20:59

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The Van Deusen is going to be fairly dark. It's so depending on the light in the room. The one that might work for you might be BM Normandy. Sorry the pic is blurry.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Have you seen SW Needlepoint Navy? I also like SW Storm Cloud, but it has even more grey in it than the Needlepoint Navy. Here is a board painted in SW Needlepoint Navy (in real life it reads more grey than the photo). Is that what you were looking for? The second one shows a sheet printed in SW Storm Cloud.

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

SW Online or SW Network

• hartntex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Curious which one you eventually chose? I'm also looking for a grey blue and looking at van courtland blue.