Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Is One More thing Too Much For This Room?

User
9 years ago

I have a guest bedroom with a single bed that is blue and white and gold. The dimensions of the room are roughly 11'6" x 14. It has one good window (3ft x 6ft), a 10 foot ceiling, 12" crown moldings and a lovely and unexpected shelf several feet from the ceiling that contains the "greatest hits" of my blue and white porcelain collection. I have many (but not all) of my Scandinavian blue and white Christmas plates on the walls, from Porsgrund, Royal Copenhagen, and Bing and Grondahl. I have two original oil paintings in the room, in shades of blue and white with seaside themes. I want to figure out how, if at all possible, to add a 6ft x 3ft museum banner depicting Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring. The San Francisco exhibition was concluded in 2013 and the banners are now for sale. I love this painting, have seen it twice in different museums, and the banner is spectacular.

1. I thought the furniture would all stay, but now wonder if we should get rid of the armoire. It provides drawers for the visitor who wants to unpack, but there is a huge closet in this room so the drawers aren't that necessary. However, at Christmas the top of the armoire is home to three white wood reindeer and a sleigh of tiny blue and silver wrapped presents. Some of you may be aware of how much I like Christmas :-) so giving up that real estate would be difficult. Would it also make the room bare?

2. I could be talked into removing some of the plates, but not all. Because of the Christmases spent in Copenhagen in my youth I have a deep and abiding love for these plates that is, decoratively speaking, quite irrational.

3. Also thinking also of bordering the curtains with 1" navy grosgrain ribbon in the leading edges.....thoughts?

4. The sisal type carpeting in this room is changing to the pale wood floors we have in the LR, kitchen, hallways and now MBR.

The banner has no text on the front, all the exhibit info is on the back:

To the left of the closet door:

But it is lost on the wall. I have been looking for a companion for this. Could I handf the banner here and move this painting?

Foo dogs on shelf

Bedside table of blue and white plate mosaic:

I could hang the banner from the underneath of the shelf to hang behind the bed showing only part of it (ok with me). If I did that I would probably remove the swing arm lamps. Or take out the armoire and hang it there. Or hang it on the wall next to the closet and move that small painting. Or???

Comments (28)

• beachpea3
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pretty room! Love the banner! My vote is to hang it on the wall next to the closet and remove the small painting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Don't know the dimension of the banner, but I would suggest the following.

Remove the basket picture above the armoire...it's high and it's not a strong enough blue for the room.

Put the two oils stacked to the right of the armoire...

Move the 3 small plates to the left of the window...

Put the banner on the wall next to the closet door....

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you beachpea!

Idea: if I hung the banner behind the headboard suspended from underneath the shelf, I could move the displaced plates to the wall with the small painting. ??

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, the banner is 36" x 72" ..... Same dimensions as the window,

The basket is actually one of the colors in the curtains, which are striped with three colors of blue. However, I could certainly take it down and put the small painting there. There is not enough space to the right of the armoire for the painting of children on the beach :-(

But could possibly move things around a bit.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Lovely room!

I would hang the banner to the left of the window and hang that painting with the small one to the left of the closet door.

I love your blue 'stuff' - I have a 30 year collection of B&G Christmas plates, finally stopped when I ran out of space! Mine take up 3 walls of plate rails.

Your mosaic bedside table is wonderful!

Bordering the curtains with navy grosgrain is a good idea, but maybe try wider than 1".

I wouldn't move the armoire as it adds balance to the room.

I hope you have the items on the shelf over the bed well anchored, especially if you live in an earthquake zone!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not think of that, lucky gal. If I purchase the banner that is a a strong contender!

Aside: I love spending time in museums beyond all other activities while traveling. Have always loved exhibit banners. I now have three museum banners, one on our screened porch, two on the downstairs patio. This is the first one inside. Am I amassing a collection of banners, or am I becoming the cat lady of banners, as in "too much of a good thing." ?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot pic of new flooring that will go in in a few weeks:

• luckygal
    9 years ago

" Am I amassing a collection of banners, or am I becoming the cat lady of banners, as in "too much of a good thing." ?"

LOL I am likely NOT the one to answer that. I have to always practice conscious restraint as could collect the world. I think a collection of 4 items is a small collection so you are not yet to "cat lady" status! :D You can stop at 4! :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I will stop at 4.... :-)

I saw the banner photo in close context with other photos of this room on my smugmug site and the colors all seem so wonderful together.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

You've created a very cohesive decor for your room and one that is very personal to you but gorgeous to the rest of us. You can pretty much do whatever you want as you've done very well so far. I like some of the suggestions so far. Please post the banner when in place, one of my favorite painters.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What is that wall color??? Gorgeous! I'm looking for something like it.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have to look downstairs on the paint shelves, Tibb, but I believe it is a Porter Paint color. I'm glad you like it, it's actually a nicer color than is captured by my iPhone. And thank you, yayagirl !

• peegee
    9 years ago

Although I *love* everything in the room, and would never consider removing that gorgeous armoire, and the banner is stunning....I did have just a tiny weeny thought, given its extra large size, that the lovely lass might seem to stare at guests in bed and possibly be just a little creepy or disturbing to some! (ducking head and fleeing)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd really appreciate it, kswl, if it's not too much trouble. If it is, please don't put yourself through that.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Peegee, You may be right about that! Needless to say I wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe it would be better behind the headboard.

• voila
    9 years ago

The banner is beautiful, not menacing. It deserves to be shown prominently. Can you hang it from the large mirror to try out the location, and if it works move the mirror? The banner would be pretty with blue plates down each side to make a large focal point.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Your room is so beautiful and that painting is one of my favorites. I stayed in a guest room with a print of it on a wall adjacent to the side of the bed and I loved lying there studying the amazing technique used to create the luminosity and depth of colors.

But when I read the size of the banner, I'm wondering if it's not just too large for your room, given the scale of everything else? I would love to see it hanging on a high wall along a stairway or a balcony or even at the end of a hallway.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I would take out the seaside prints. They don't go with the Old World theme of the room.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, the only real theme is blue and white, the bedding is Ralph. Lauren and the furniture is fairly nondescript. We used my younger son's old sleigh bed when he got a bigger one, and just filled in with furniture of the same wood tone. The mirror and corner ladder display were from Ballard's Backroom outlet in Atlanta, one piece was from my mother and the other we bought. The only "old world" influence would be the banner I haven't yet purchased.

Olychick I am also worried it's too big. That's why I proposed hanging it behind the bed, only a the top half of it would show.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

To answer the question of the post: yes. Or at least this particular one more thing. Regardless of how much you like it, if you need to hide half of it to get it in there, it's not the right space. If you must have it, find another place in the home. But the very fact that you asked makes me think you already knew that.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really don't need the armoire there for any practical purpose, so I could move it out and have plenty of room. Unfortunately there is no other place in my house where that size, shape, subject and coloration would work.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Suggest putting it where the three plates are to balance the other side of the armoire. Hang the two paintings (boats and children, love those) one over the other somewhere where they can be stood in front of to view. Remove flower picture above armoire. If this bedroom has a bathroom you could put some the leftovers in there such as the three plates.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions, gr8day, I am strongly considering moving the armoire to try to accommodate the banner.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, the banner is lovely and that painting has been a long time favorite of mine so I say go for it. I love the armoire and would keep it where it's at. Could you hang the banner where the mirror is currently and find a different spot for the mirror?

Your room is absolutely beautiful and with your great sense of style I know you will find the perfect layout. BTW, I adore Foo dogs

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I think I'd try hanging it beside the closet door and stacking the two oils -- wouldn't want to remove a single beautiful thing from that room.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

First of all, your room is very pretty....but you asked about one more thing being too much for your room. I would group your beautiful plates in one spot to make a bigger impact. I would like to make a few suggestions....take the shelf down over the bed, take the baskets of flowers away from the sides of the blue corner chair and take the picture down that is on top of the armoire. Put the little round table (by the amoire) on one side of the corner chair...either in front of the mirror or by the floor lamp. Put a double row of plates above your bed or even a squarish arrangements of plates. Your mural could be incorporated with the arrangements of plates....it is very nice. No plates over the mirror. Your artwork seems to be fine except for the one on top of the armoire. Your new flooring will be beautiful.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grandma, do you mean take down the high shelf and hang the banner up where it was? If I hung it about a foot from the 10ft ceiling it would still terminate with about a foot behind the headboard...is that what you mean? I am not sure I would do that....The shelf is not something we put up, it is not easily removed, and would require extensive drywall repair, etc. I don't love shelves like that generally, but it is the same weight and profile as the 12" of crown moulding and looks very integral. I have blue and white porcelain displayed there that would have no other home.

I have thought about using the small round table next to the chair, will try that.

As to the plates, there are currently 16 displayed in the room now, but i have many more and could make an entire wall behind the bed with them. I am not sure the plates and the banner would make the right kind of grouping on a wall as they seem mutually exclusive in terms of content. I guess, having just read that, I should either keep the plates and forget about the banner or buy the banner and pack the plates away.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh I hope you don't pack your beautiful plates away! They are a lovely part of your room as is the shelf above your bed. Would you consider a smaller version of the Vermeer? I know it wouldn't have the same impact as the banner but your room is so perfect as it is. I think the Vermeer would be a lovely addition but perhaps on a smaller scale?