Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archoo16

Ideas

archoo16
9 years ago

Hi,
We are moving into our own home next month and looking to decorate it. The husband and I are unable to come to a conclusion.

Our living area is long, most of the pieces we have are cherry / traditional. We are planning to get an entertainment centre for TV at eye level and not mount it over the fire place. He wants recliners. 3+2 , the same way the current owners have. I want a 3 seater+ottoman and single seater.

The furniture place close be has a nice sale currently till day after. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Just a little piece of advise. -We had an armoire to hold the tv and as televisions got bigger, we could not accommodate a bigger one. We got rid of the armoire and the newer, bigger, tv is mounted on the wall. So don't let the entertainment center limit you for the future.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Use your creativeness and use your armoire if you wish or repurpose it. Such a shame to throw something away that can have many uses.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I think the 3-2-1 seating group is the work of furniture manufacturers to sell more pieces, and it often is too much furniture for a room. And I think that would be the case with your room.

I assume you plan to put the TV to the left of the fireplace?

Don't let the store's sale push you into a decision. Stores are always having sales. You need to be able to measure the space and measure the furniture. I would wait until you are living in the house to buy the furniture, even if it means sitting on lawn furniture for a few weeks.

What does your husband have in mind for recliners?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would be tempted to do a sectional or sofa and two chairs....chairs facing each other at each end of the sofa if you have the room.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Took your advise and didn't buy them on sale.

We plan to keep our TV on a entertainment set without the side shelves, so when we do get a bigger TV , which we will, it would still be ok.

He wants a leather recliner 3 seater. We do watch a lot of tv. I just dont want to see the back of a two seater when I enter, like the current owners have. I feel it would make an already narrow and small living area, smaller.

Is there a rule against a sectional with its back to a low window, like this one here? But it might become too near the fireplace.

What about a single chair that doesnt match the recliner, but goes with an area rug and ottoman which would double as a coffee table? We entertain often and would like to be able to seat atleast 5 .

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Has your husband ever mentioned the desire for a recliner before? I would have one myself (I'm a middle-aged man) if I had the space for it, but if he's suggesting all recliners, it may be that he just can't visualize anything but what he has already seen in the room.

Let him have a recliner if he wants it, but only one.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I think your last idea sounds great - the leather recliner three seater that your husband wants, a coordinating but non-matching chair, and an ottoman that doubles as a coffee table. Then maybe add a club chair or occasional chair that can be moved into the room to give that 5th seating spot.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

If you go with a recliner - get a wall hugger.

• Mayaa
    9 years ago

i think i would not be appropriate if you throw out any item, try to find its alternative use as recommended by interior decorators...

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I think the 3 seater leather recliner would be OK, but I would not get a matching chair.
    Have the chair in another fabric that co-ordinates.
    I would not make it double and have it sticking out like the previous owner.
    Then maybe a smaller chair that you could place on the slant in front of the window and bring up closer to conversation area when you entertain.