Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierbred

What chairs to use with this table?

hoosierbred
9 years ago

What type of chairs would you use with this table? We have an open kitchen/dining/family room. Nothing formal as this will be our only eating area. We have stained trim throughout the house. Would like 6-8 chairs.

Comments (39)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Do you have a photo of the room, colors and other furniture in the space? Do you want something that "matches" or something more eclectic?

I'm linking the chairs I have around my kitchen table. Very sturdy, durable and comfortable. Comfort is important if this is your only dining area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Theodore Alexander Seddon chair

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I would use a painted ladder back or sheaf back chair. I have the Ethan Allen Renee (sheaf back) chair in French grey paired with an antique cherry table. You can customize the chairs in regards to paint and fabrics.

There are a lot of on line sites that have ladder back and sheaf back chairs also. I think the style of that type of chair would look great with your table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chapelle

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Look on Craigslist for reproductions of oak pressed back chairs. They're great, and you can get great deals on them. Only get the kind with the solid wood seat, though.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Since it's a pretty hefty table, I wouldn't go with a chair with spindles. I think it needs something like a parson's chair with a high back. Something substantial. You could do them in leather or faux leather if fabric would be too touchy for everyday use.

• robnj_2006
    9 years ago

I'm a big fan of real or even faux leather for chairs. They are comfortable for long dinners with friends and super easy to maintain. They are a rather heavier look so it would also depend on how much space you have. They can also match many different styles depending on the shape.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

All items below are from World Market. The leather covered chairs are quite comfortable.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love my press back chairs with my VERY heavy breadboard table.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You definitely want a darker color, though, than golden oak.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

In addition ot the ones mentioned: IKEA chairs, e.g. their parsons style chair (Henriksdal), Ingolf, or maybe a modern style.

slipcovers come in a variety of prints/length.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tibb, I love your press back chairs with your table! I love that style!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks, Holly-Kay! I love them too. Mine are a cheap-o set, but my parents collected authentic ones in different styles. So their dining room table seating is all press-back chairs, but no two are alike. It's pretty cool.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Hoosier, on the post by Kristina on what paint color for kitchen there is a pic of Wyndham Cream in a kitchen with a glimpse of ladder back chairs paired with a table similar to yours. Take a look and see what you think.

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions!

chispa, I forgot to mention that this is a new build home. Hopefully finished by next month. We are a retired couple but have family really close so need at least seating for 6. I don't have the best of pictures of the space right now (since it is filled with appliances in boxes), but I'll post what I have below along with that section of the floor plan.

Here is the floor plan for that area:

Here is the dining area before they installed all the trim. The floors are hickory with a natural finish and walls are BM Gray Mirage:

Here is a pic standing in the family room looking toward the kitchen on the right and dining on the left. You can see in this photo the mahogany stained trim package and cabinets we have:

Here is the light fixture for the dining area:

And, here are our furnishings for the family room:

chispa, I really like the Seddon chair. Would you mix wood finishes? The table I posted has a cherry finish.

As beautiful as your pressed back chairs are and look great with your table, Tibb, we are trying to steer away from oak. We had oak in our past homes and are trying to go a different route this time.

nosoccermom, I can't go modern. Just not in my blood. :-) But, I do love the last pic you posted with the slip cover look.

beverly, before I posted this thread, I was looking on World Market and saw several of the chairs you posted. I was drawn to the one with the X back since it would mimic the X on the back of our accent chairs in the family room.

I've also been drawn to the look of the leather/faux leather chairs.

Have any of you ordered chairs online without sitting in them first? I'm leery about getting something that wouldn't be comfortable.

I also need two counter height stools for our island. Didn't know if they should be the same as the dining chairs.

Thanks for all your help!!!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I'd go with something like the last two leather chairs in Beverly's pic, or Parsons chairs. If you have to order online, I'd order ONE chair first and see how you like it. If you don't love it or it's not comfortable, you can maybe still use it somewhere (if you don't want to go to the trouble of returning it) but if you like it, you can then order the rest!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That ceiling is gorgeous.

I'd put something like this with it.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, looking at your other furnishings, I realized that the chairs I suggested are out, except the parson's chairs.
    I found IKEA's way more comfortable than Pottery Barn's or World market, but be careful: They are huge. They were changed a few years ago for the American market to accommodate bigger butts (sorry).

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I found IKEA's way more comfortable than Pottery Barn's or World market, but be careful: They are huge. They were changed a few years ago for the American market to accommodate bigger butts (sorry)."

That is hilarious! But, probably so true! I wish we had an Ikea store close-by. The closest one is 3-1/2 hrs away.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, I was really excited about my chairs until I had them home and realized that I can only fit two on each side of my 82" table because there's not enough space between the legs for three :(

Do you have a Craigslist?

• chispa
    9 years ago

Hoosierbred, I have lots of mixed woods and if you look at the photos you posted you also have mixed woods! The website photos of the seddon chair are pretty bad. The actual wood color has some red in it and much more depth to the color overall. Some of the chairs suggested by others look so uncomfortable, hard materials and a too upright design. I always buy dining chairs that guests wouldn't mind sitting in for a pretty long time, because sometimes when I host a committee/social/book group these chairs need to be pulled out and used for a 2-3 hour meeting. I want the people sitting on the dining chairs to be as comfortable as the ones sitting on the sofas.

The prices on the chairs can vary quite a bit. I shopped around and found a "local" store with the best prices.

• mpwdmom
    9 years ago

Do you have a unpainted or bare wood furniture store near you? They might let you take one chair home to try out the sizing (my store lets me do that) then once you choose, they can finish it for you.

Your furniture is lovely. What brand is your sofa & recliner?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Slat back, ladder black or splat back.

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chispa, I had two ID's at the furniture store who pulled the family room furniture, rug and lamps together for us. Yes, after looking at the photos I do have different wood finishes. It's been so long since I ordered the stuff. :-) I'm such a matchy-match person that it's hard for me to do this by myself or I think I've really messed up.

As soon as the dining table arrives next week (I bought it at Sam's Club online Auctions!) I might take a piece into the furniture store and see what the ID says. They might be able to order the Seddon chairs if I can afford them. I REALLY like them.

Nosoccer, yes we have Craig's List. I've been looking every day. In fact, we bought the desk below last weekend off of it for our entry from the garage. I'm using it as my drop-off area for mail, purse, charging station, etc. And, look, it's another wood finish but it blends in well with trim! :-)

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mpwdmom, not sure if they have an unfinished furniture store here. We still feel new to the area. I'll have to check. We do have a lot of Amish cabinet makers around the area. Maybe I should check to see if they make chairs, too.

Thanks about the furniture. The sofa, recliner and ottoman are Bernhardt. The sofa and recliner are so comfy. It took a long time to find a sofa and recliner that satisfied both DH and me. He's the recliner guy and I'm the sofa person. I even laid down on the sofa at the furniture store to try it out.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Love all of your choices! I especially love your desk. Best wishes to you and your DH in your beautiful new home.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Hoosierbred, I'll throw one more at you! Linked are my dining room chairs. I use the Seddon chairs in our eat-in kitchen. Our downstairs is all pretty open. The dining room chairs are made by Cox Manufacturing and I've had them for around 14 years. Just recently had them reupholstered to go with new/updated colors. They are solid and well built ... and also very very comfortable. There is a better chance that your furniture store can get these. I think Theodore Alexander has a more limited distribution channel.

You can do the Cox chairs in their fabrics or provide your own "COM" fabric. These chairs would provide some softness and color. I love both sets of chairs, if I had to only pick one set to keep I would have a very hard time choosing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cox Manufacturing

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

That desk is so neat! I also really like Chispa's suggestion.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Hoosier, I just found this picture which I remember from another post about chairs with a table similar to yours, awhile ago.
    Don't like the white for your decor, but the style of the chair would be great.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

try the "jacobean" or the "sharon" chairs from Armoiresandaccents. com

They wholesale too so you might be able to find a retailer who sells them close to you

• bac717
    9 years ago

I happened to be on the Home Decorators website and ran across these chairs. Similar to those suggested by mlweaving.

Oh, sorry it's so large!

I'll also include link to the chair on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorators chair

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone! Such great suggestions.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

With all that dark stained wood, I would definitely opt for an upholstered or slipcovered chair. Stained wood or leather is just going to be too much of the same thing and you are going to have similar, but not the same shades all over. You need something to break that up.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Upholstered chairs would be beautiful and accent the wood, not add to it.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

You mentioned that you are retired and there are just the two of you. But when family comes you need more seating.

I would get two nice large, comfy, chairs like mlweaving posted or similar maybe in an armchair style to put at each end.

Then I would get 6 of something totally different but complimentary and petite enough to allow you to put 3 chairs on each side.

I love the table. Your house is great, btw.

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We found chairs yesterday and have them on order. Thanks to all who helped us make this decision. We ended up ordering 2 arm chairs and 4 side chairs. They are larger chairs. What was great was that the table that went with the chairs was a double-pedestal table like ours. It was good to measure everything in the store to see how many chairs we could accommodate with our table. The table on display was larger than ours. And, we found that there was no way we could order chairs without sitting in them first. I didn't think I'd ever convince DH to go with upholstered chairs, but he loved these! And the leather nailhead trim will tie in well with our new family room furniture.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They're beautiful and will look great with that table.

• fluffybutt
    9 years ago

Hoosierbred, Do you mind sharing where your chairs with the cross back are from? I am looking for some chairs that have an interesting back since you will see the backs.

• hoosierbred
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tryingtodecorate, the cross back chairs are Flexsteel Gable Chairs. See link below. You could pick any fabric. They are really comfortable. We wanted something with an interesting back, too. The counter stools we looked at yesterday had a cross back, also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flexsteel Gable Chair

• chispa
    9 years ago

Hoosier, the chairs you chose look really nice. You won't regret having a larger comfortable chair.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Pier One has a good selection IMO. I bought this style because I have four antique Louis's, and bring them out when I need extras, not to mention they're vinyl, so great with the grands! Substantial enough too. I decided on the ivory since I have ivory glazed cabs, but the colors are very pretty. At the time I bought, they also had black, and if you really wanted black, they might be able to 'round them up' from stores in your area~I find they're very good about that, so don't hesitate to ask.

Check out the other styles too. They have plenty.

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs