Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

Slipcovers, Where to buy??

scanmike
9 years ago

Hi,

Just repainted my whole first floor and looking to lighten up the place. I have a expresso leather sofa (very good quality and nice shape ) but my cats hind feet did a number on the seat cushions. Has anyone had any success with slipcovers? Thinking of off white or white cotton to create that coastal vibe. Read here that Surefit isn't great. Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

I've never tried a slipcover for a leather sofa. I'd worry that it would have a tendency to slip off rather easily.

I've got a kitty who digs in when she "launches" too. I just use shoe polish to cover the scratches. Works like a charm.

• scanmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Been doing the shoe polish thing. It does work pretty well. When I originally purchased the couch, I bought a cheap slipcover to protect it when my girlfriends cat came to visit. We went away for a week and when I came back the little kitty managed to crawl under it and scratched it all up! So much for the protection. It didn't slip off from what I remember.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd have a slip cover made, unless it's a simple style and, say, a PB or Crate & Barrel slipcover will fit it. Then, get some of the sticky carpet padding and stick it to the suface area of the sofa, and it'll hold the slipcover. I use it to keep my futon mattress from sliding off the frame.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Scanmike, I no longer have it. I gave it to one of my children who has enjoyed using it, but I had a brown leather sofa that I had a similar problem with one of the seat cushions, but from my dog jumping at the cat. I took the cushion to my local fabric outlet and matched it perfectly with a velvet, and I had all the cushions upholstered in velvet the same color as the leather, and it was a great look. Everyone who saw it liked it much better with the contrasting materials. The fabric was on close out for $47 and the lady charged me $75 to upholster the cushions. It was a savings over buying a new sofa at the time and in a very attractive way.

• camlan
    9 years ago

Patricia43, that's a great idea! You get to chose the perfect fabric, instead of having to make do with what the slipcover companies provide. And you eliminate the problem of the cushion covers being a little too small or too big. Plus you get to make a style statement.

This is the route I'd go, if my cats scratched up my leather chair. Fortunately for me, they don't like it at all. They claw at one particular upholstered chair instead . . . .

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Patricia's idea is a great one. I bet a tapestry fabric would look beautiful too, and that would hold up to a lot of abuse.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

As suggested, mixed fabrics with leather is seen often in furniture. And a world of fabrics to choose from.