Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsachs

Please show me your night stands!

FSachs
9 years ago

I am looking for new night stands. Right now I have a few pieces of dark wood in my bedroom, with dark wood floors. I am thinking more dark wood would be too much. So what do I do? Lighter wood? A different material altogether? Please show me what you've done!

Comments (29)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Mine are dark, but if I had dark floors, I think I'd go for painted tables. What is your style? Maybe a rustic blue or ivory? Or are you more contemporary?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

If you scroll down in the attached post, you will see a dozen nightstands that I considered. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: nightstand collage 3/4 down

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I have cream colored painted adobe walls and dark brick floors. Our bedframe, dresser, armoire and this one nightstand are all from the same collection. Sorry that it's hiding a bit behind my teacart in this pic, but you get the idea.

On my side of the bed, I opted for this rustic antique desk as my nightstand. Not because it was a lighter color, but because I like the juxtaposition of the two styles . . . and, I did want something larger than DH's.

Lynn

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have upholstered tables like this. You can customize the fabric. We went with a faux leather that I hope will be somewhat durable.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have a cherry Jefferson poster bed, matching dresser and armoire, MIL's library table on one side painted to match walls, my childhood dresser from which I removed the mirror, and made a shroud of fabric that matches my bed skirt and draperies.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Here's mine one anyway, matches my entire bedroom set, and is now almost 52 yrs. old, solid rock maple, with clear non scratch tops, to modernize, I removed colonial hardware, and updated with sleek modern hardware. Would never part with this set, they just don't make them like this now adays, extremely heavy and well built.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I personally don't like matched "sets". We have a metal bed with vintage oak armoire, dresser and two nightstands. The nightstands are not actual nightstands. I have a small dresser on my side of the bed and hubby has more of a chest. Mine is painted and I'm thinking of painting his. Also have an upholstered chair and a wood chair with an upholstered seat in the room. The armoire holds a flat screen and provides storage for extra pillows, blankets, etc.

tina

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

How about my favorite night stand I found online. I should copy it, but haven't so far.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I love that one, Rob!

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    9 years ago

We have two of the Addison nightstands from Arhaus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arhaus Addison Nightstands

• amykath
    9 years ago

These are not mine but are in the 2013 HGTV dream home. I like the unexpected. Just an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to more pics

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I agree that, if one has the space, nightstands have been replaced by larger items and are harmonious but not matching

• allison0704
    9 years ago

DH has a small reproduction chest that has drawers, because he needs the storage space. I use my maternal grandmother's pie crust table.

Only one guest room in our home has a pair of matching nightstands (vintage). Other rooms all have two tables that do no match. In one room I used a vintage desk w/two drawers and graceful legs.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Exactly aktillery! My original response didn't sound right - I didn't mean I wouldn't (necessarily) match anything, but more what I meant was something different - or as you said, unexpected. I do not want all pieces of furniture to match, but in our room, I could do matching nightstands and be fine. While none of the pieces "match", they play nice with each other due to common size/height, and all pieces are either a similar wood stain or paint, other than bed, which is a darker color of paint. Floors are wood.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

Ours don't match, but they, as well as the dresser and vanity, are a similar wood tone. Mine is a leather topped hexagonal table from my grandmother's house, and DH's is a hand me down from his family.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

We went with bachelor chests as they provided much needed storage. I love the unmatched look but not enough to give up my current furniture.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Our guest room has 2 singles and we used dark wood for the outsides and a round skirted table for the center between the beds.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, May 7, 14 at 18:56

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've used two different antique small dressers since i like to put books, cup of tea, and other stuff on the nightstands. They're different heights/widths, but for me the look works. They're both a medium stained(Fruitwood?) French style, found at different times at an auction. I'm not into anything that's too matchy-matchy, except my shoes. ;)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

porkandham, that hit me "right there". So cool!!! Bedrooms are already very personal spaces, but even your spaces within "your" space, is made for each of you. Totally cool.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I am moving into a newly-remodeled unfurnished MCM home and am in need of a bedroom set. I've become enamoured with these cantilevered nightstands, which are built from laquered solid walnut. Made by Kimball (yes, same company that made the pianos, including the one I learned to play on). Nice full-extension drawers, which like the outer surfaces are laquered. Would these look good in a circa-1950 modernest house?

The left side gets a mirror image of the same nightstand:

Also like the little table that's part of the set - not sure what it's intended to be used for, it's simple but it's nice:

These aren't cheap, so if you've seen anything similar out there that's closer to the Ikea pricing I'm used to, pls let me know!

This post was edited by lee676 on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:55

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I got tired of all the wood, too, so covered two tall 30â round tables with a crisp white table cloth and use those on each side of the bed. I like that I can change the tablecloths to prints or solids if I want to bring in some more color.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I like the non matching tables too.

My husband's chest.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

And my skirted table with antique mirror on top.

• sunfeather
    9 years ago

I like the desk/vanity idea for one side. Paul Dean's furniture has a few painted night stands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paula Dean Riverhouse nightstand

• aputernut
    9 years ago

My guest room bedside tables, while they may not match as my previous photo master suite tables, which I would never part with my matched bedroom set, I have since married, and you could never buy today, if you could it would cost thousands, and thousands, but anyway these I picked up at an import store and painted to match and are good enough for a guest suite that does not get used, they are rodiron.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I used a small oak dresser I found at an antique shop.

{{!gwi}}

• peegee
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse, I like your bed!!! Want one like that someday.
    Currently I have desk next to the bed.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I love seeing all these ideas!

DH and I have mixed matched bedside tables. Mine is a small dining room - fold down sides - table. There is a drawer near the bed. I am on the lookout for something different for his side, though.

• User
    9 years ago

This is a photo taken right after the floors were replaced in our MBR, with no t much moved back in. There is a Baker piece on one side (from my mother) and a 36" drape table on the other, skirted with a Laura Ashley toile .