Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

My new bright orange craft studio

ccoombs1
9 years ago

I had this unused room in my house and a desperate need for a place to do my art and craft projects, so about 2 months ago I came up with a plan. I have always wanted to use orange in a room but never had a good place for such a bold color. So I used it here. The room is 14' wide x 16', with a corner lost to a closet. I build cabinets for one wall, using IKEA butcher block island tops (which are thinner than the now discontinued counter tops). This run of cabinets still needs two doors, but I'll build them a little later.

this is the island I came up with. It's made using an old 1950s buffet, with a set of legs to support the overhang. The top is ikea butcher block again. This island is the perfect standing work height for me. Total cost was around $250

I repainted two vintage step stools and put new fabric on the seats. They are a good height for the island

I needed a sink and had a small (29" x 29") space between two book cases (which will get doors) and a lateral file cabinet so I built in a nice sink base and put glass tile on the wall. The sink came from ebay....small but very deep.

The sewing machine is a 1966 vintage singer. I took the top off of the machine's existing cabinet and build a new cabinet for it that would roll under the work table. I made a spool rack for one side and have small storage trays on the other. I used the machine to make the valances and am happy with the set-up.

Comments (19)

• anitamo
    9 years ago

Oh, how I envy all that well organized space! The orange is energizing! Have fun with your many projects to come.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Wow, you integrated a lot of great ideas into that room! Love the orange.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I have one more project that isn't shown here yet because I have to get my table saw out and rip down some boards to trim it out, but I made a tip out bin behind the door that holds all of my oversized water color paper. I had lots of fun doing this room. I had never built cabinets before so that was a little challenging, but they came out very professional looking. This entire project was all DIY.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Fabulous room! Everything looks so crisp and fun - that sink area is genius - and it's all personalized for you and how you work. great job.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

WOW!!! That is a terrific room--layout, accouterments, and look! So impressive!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Well done, so much thought to how you work.
    Enjoy.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love the floor! the color is great too. :) I have one orange room. it was a DR and now is a play room. I debate painting it but so far it is staying orange. :)

Enjoy your crafting!

• Jules
    9 years ago

I love seeing reveals, so thanks for posting. You are a woman of many talents. I especially like the countertops you chose and the buffet transformed into an island. How clever!

Enjoy your fun space!

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! Such functional and creative ideas that just flow together. I'm impressed with your talent!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

very cool! you will be inspired

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Congratulations! What a great room. It will be a good craft room and a respite on those dreary rainy days when you need a little bright in your life. Get a chair and when you do not want to craft, get reading. Love it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That is AWESOME!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

What a great project room, and even moreso because you built it all yourself. So many good ideas - esp. that sink!

I had a large door-mountable spice rack that I painted and drove long nails into to hold spools of thread, but your soluion is really cool. Love the rolling sewing machine too.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, thanks for all of your nice comments! My husband and I built the house we are currently living in, so power tools do not scare me, but building cabinets was new to me. I really enjoyed the precision work! When I get the cabinet doors built for the two book shelves, I'll post pics of that whole corner with the cabinets on one side, the lateral file cabinet and the little sink base in the middle. I knew I needed a sink in that room but could it figure out how I was going to fit one in without sacrificing a lot of needed cabinet space. Using this corner that would otherwise be a problem spot was the perfect solution, it's a small area, but plenty big enough.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow that looks like a great fun place to be creative!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Genius! And so fun!

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

I absolutely LOVE it! What a creative person you are and deserving of such a great space!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

What a fantastic craft room, ogling with lots of jealousy!

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I didn't even know I needed a craft room until I saw yours.
    Love it!