Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have cream-colored kitchen cabinets?

Posted by SunnyCottage (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 10:12

Pretty sure I've posted about this particular kitchen issue here in the past. The room has gone from being extremely colorful to a more toned-down version -- but I'm still not entirely pleased with my red cabinets. The longer I live with them (and it's been about 11 years now - they were this color when we bought the house), the more I find them just TOO much, particularly with our Saltillo tile floor, which is not going to be changed. I love my green walls, and actually really like red and green together (think old wooden-handled kitchen utensils painted those colors), but I'm just ... TIRED of the visual stimulation. I've tossed around the idea of repainting the cabinets and all of the trimwork in the kitchen and breakfast area, which would be a pretty big undertaking for me, but certainly want to be sure that I get the color right if I DO go that route. Lately I'm very drawn to creamy ivory cabinets and wanted to know if anyone here has used that color in their kitchen. If so, photos would be appreciated, and I'd also just like to know how you LIKE your cabinets painted that color.

I'm attaching a photo (albeit a poor one) that was taken quite awhile back. This doesn't show the green walls. The rug has since been changed to a more traditional Persian style in muted colors, but at least this gives an idea of the red-Red-RED that I'm up against here.

The backsplash is white subway tile, and the countertop is small white tile bordered by black tile. I've already got a pretty good mix of ivory and white in the kitchen, and I rather like the way that those two tones play off one another.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have cream-colored kitchen cabinets?

I'm not sure how to post more than one photo in a comment, so I thought I'd share here another pic that shows the green walls. And more red. Apologies for the poor quality - these pics were taken with my old phone which was crapola.

o

Try SW Nacre. Horrible name for a paint color, isn't it? It is the color I used on my cabinets. I searched and searched through the paint deck, bought 247 samples, all wrong, then emailed a desighner about a kitchen I saw, and her colors(which I NEVER would have guessed they were in the photos), led me to the strip that had Nacre on it, and it was PERFECT.

Nancy

o

Thank you so much, Nancy! I'll definitely check out that color.

I just found a photo that shows a much more current pic of the breakfast room. See, in THIS space I do like the red and green together. But not so much in the adjacent kitchen.

o

Actually, see those Fiesta dishes on the floor that we're using for the pets? That is pretty much the color that I have in mind. :-)

o

Great minds think alike - our pup has two small fiesta dishes! (She's a little dog.) LOL

tina

o

Here's a pretty shade that might work for your cabinets -- but do check out the whole page -- especially the section that says: "Goes Great With" -- what a co-incidence! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- French White 1093

o

Tina - the Fiesta vegetable bowls are the perfect size to keep our crew fed and watered! Plus ... well, I just like the way they look, and that's very important too! ;-)

Teacats, I love French White! I'm also very fond of BM paint in general, becoming well acquainted with it over the many times I've painted - and REpainted - my rooms!

How do you all think such a creamy shade would work on the cabinets and trim in my kitchen? I'm envisioning bringing a more calming feel to the room, and to make it seem a bit lighter and brighter. We get very little morning sun in spite of the windows, due to the way the room is situated. On rainy, gloomy days like today, it can feel pretty drab in spite of all of the colorful decorative touches.

o

(Also - what a mess in the first pic! Can't believe I actually took a photo with all of that clutter on the counter! Ugh.)

o

I don't have cream colored cabs, although they sound wonderful for your space, Jen. But, I did want to pass along some great new info I got just yesterday about painting cabs and furniture. I'm getting ready to help DD paint some furniture (for her new house near the university) while she's home here over the Summer.
My good friend Susan just painted her kitchen cabs and used a (new to her) roller paint kit made specifically for painting cabinets, furniture and doors so that you don't see roller or brush marks. She said her cabs came out looking like they were done by a professional, that the kit was very reasonably priced ($5.98) and easy to use. She found them at both Lowes and Home Depot.
I just did a search on Lowes' website and I believe that this is the one. It's made by Whizz and is called Whizz 4-Piece Paint Tray Kit/ use: for cabinets, doors and furniture. Here's a pic of it from the Lowes website:
 photo Whizz4-PiecePaintTrayKit_zpsa5f0c31a.jpg

She said that the roller was a small one, which made it very easy to maneuver. You can't tell size from this pic, though. I'm planning on buying two of them for DD and myself.
Lynn

o

Hi J, good to see you.
I always liked your cheerful house and decor.

My cabinets are cream with a touch of green, SW Rice Grain paint:

Kitchen photo britaneysbridalshowergifts229.jpg

o

I remember this kitchen. You have been thinking of painting it for a very long time. I say just go for it. I think you will be happy you did. I painted my first set of cabs in this home cream on top eggplant on bottom and loved it. I cream I used was called ivory but had yellow undertones that were light enough not to be noticed at first but really warmed up the room. Have you considered painting it in stages so you can see if you like the new feel of the room? Going from all the red to being white all at once may leave you missing those pops of color the red now provides. I have always thought that your kltchen would look cute with darker green lower cabs and white uppers. You might even be happy with keeping the trim red in the entire space if the cabs are no longer dominating the room with red.

o

Another very pretty shade ..... but a bit lighter ....

I do think that a lighter shade might work better than a true cream (which has a yellow cast to it)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Alabaster OC-129

o

And a true fresh bright white .... just for discussion and comparison ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- ultra white CC-10

o

I think I would try painting the uppers with the cream/white of your choice and see how you like it. That may be enough of a change to brighten your room while keeping the lower cabinets red to tie all of the red trim together. Good to see you posting again, BTW.

o

Lynn, thank you so much for sharing about the roller! Honestly, when I think of tackling those red cabinets I freeze up a little bit. The current paint, although it's old, was applied so professionally that it just looks (and feels) smooth as silk. I don't know if the cabinets were sprayed or what, but a big part of my hesitation at even starting this job stems from being afraid that I'll never be able to duplicate such a good-looking job. I'll definitely pick up this roller when the time comes for me to start this.

Demi, thanks so much - great to see you too! Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the bright, airy feel. I'm glad you shared your photo with me; makes me all the more determined to change mine.

o

Teacats - thanks for those additional shades! Gosh, I'm afraid it'll be tough to reach a decision. Just looking online at the BM color strips is rather overwhelming. I "painted" one of their sample rooms online using Guilford Green on the walls (which is what I have) and trying these shades on the trim: Westchester Tan, Standish White, Coronado Cream, Cream 2159-60, Navajo White, and French White. Honestly, they ALL looked good to me! I hadn't considered a "true" white, because it's that creamy shade that really draws me in. (Also, I wonder if a true white would make my old subway and counter tile look dingy - which it is in places!)

Madeyna and Fun2BHere, I do like your suggestions to just paint the top cabinets first and see what kind of impact that makes. I do wonder how that would look while leaving the trim and bottom cabs red. As you can see in the one pic, the red also extends to pantry doors and the half wall behind the stove. Gosh, I'm intrigued by the idea of just doing the uppers now. :-)

o

Hi Jen!

My cabinets are cream colored. I tried to take a pic that shows the true color. I painted my trim in the room to match, and the closest match to my eye was BM Natural Wicker. At least to the naked eye, my trim looks like it matches my cabinets!

o

I like Fun2BHere's suggestion of painting just the uppers cream or green to balance off the rest of the room, but leave the lower cabinets as is. Is there crown molding above the cabinets? If so, I'd leave that red so it carries around the room. Love your color combination.

o

You might have such a nice finish because the cabs are oil based. I think I would take one door into a paint store and see what they think. I have to give another thumbs up to that roller. I haven,t used it but my daugher Tonya swears by them. She is constantly painting and repainting her cabs. They have been pink, white and are currently dark brown.

o

I cann,t remember if anyone has photoshoped this kitchens cabs. If not would someone with the skills please do this kitchen? I would love to see it done and I think it would make Sunny cottage a little more comfortable about painting it.

o

sueb20: Yes -- Natural Wicker is a lovely color! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Natural Wicker 950

o

Sue, your cabinets are gorgeous! I love, love, love that color! (Your backsplash is fantastic as well!)

Hilltop, there is just a small piece of quarter-round molding at the top of the cabinets, so I assume I'd need to paint that cream as well. As for the suggestion to pain the cabs green - yes, that has also been going through my mind! I don't think that would necessarily give me the light, bright feel I'm longing for - but it may help to break up the red overload. Hmmmm ... anyone have any thoughts on this option?

I would LOVE to see my kitchen PS'd if anyone has the time and desire to do so. :-)

o

I have cream Fiestaware, too. Consider using a dish to color match. Love your house!

o

You've seen my kitchen so I won't post it again, but I have SW Dover White, which is a pure cream color. I like it.

o

Greens my fav color so take anything I say with that biase in mind , I would love to see your upper cabs cream or white and the lower cabs a medium to darker sage green. Sage green tends to play well with other greens and would allow the lighter green you have to pop and would look good with your flooring as well. For light and bright feel I think you hit the nail on the head with the type island you choose although it looks like you could use a slightly bigger work space. I love my open island for that same reason. Although its about the size of yours and I keep hoping It will magically grow another foot wider. Does your kitchen get alot more light when you have the curtains over the sink down for washing? If so you might want to ditch at least the upper curtain, just to let more light in. I keep eyeballing that skinny shelf you have under your upper cabs.One of these days I hope to talk my dh into doing this

o

We used BM Snowfall White. It might not be creamy enough for you though. My cabinets look pretty white in the photo, until you compare it to the white appliances.

Your kitchen is great - it'll look fantastic with creamy cabinets. Love your stove too!

o

BM Cloud White, next to a very white stove for comparison.

cc

o

Hi Jen, long time no see~good to see you back!! I remembering you posting about the cabs. I painted mine the SW Dover White in the condo in SD, a very nice creamy white, not ivory, not stark white. As much as I loved the color, it wasn't self leveling, which meant it showed the brush strokes~I found all this out on the paint forum, AFTER I had painted, therefore, i'm passing it on to you in hopes your life will be made easier.

BM has a self leveling paint called Advance. I hunted down this blog which gives you the skinny on a variety of paints, and WHY this one will do the job, and do it right, the first time!

And stick around awhile! We missed ya. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: painting kitchen cabinets

o

I did ours in BM Lily of the Valley (905). In fact, we used it throughout the house for all trim. It is creamy and lovely and goes with every color we have used. Our kitchen is painted Saybrook Sage.

I cannot wait to see your cabinets painted. I have always liked your kitchen and I think creamy cabinets will be lovely!

o

Just wanted to share this inspiration picture of red and cream cabinets. Love your house! (We've chatted here before, I don't live far from you.)

Can't wait to see what you decide!

o

Gah, I had typed out a lengthy response yesterday, but it disappeared. So frustrating when that happens! Anyway, I SO appreciate the advice and input. Thank you for the gorgeous photos shared and the paint color suggestions. You've given me much to mull over, and I'm now absolutely salivating over the photo that Miz_M posted! Last night I stood in the kitchen for the longest time and just pondered how things might look with cream-painted cabinets. The more I try to envision it, the more I do think that painting just the upper cabinets would work wonders! And in spite of my love of that creamy light shade, I would also consider painting them in a suitable green (just the tops, leaving the bottom cabs red). I've actually got a couple of framed prints hanging on the wall next to my upper cabinets that are framed in a lovely almost apple green. I wondered how that would work on the upper cabinets?

Lots to keep considering here. Thank you all again for continuing to inspire me! :-)

o

I love the pic that MizM posted and agree that you may want to start with just the upper cabinets as was mentioned.

Here are our white cabinets at our Cape House. I am not sure of the color and I'm not even sure they were painted or were stock cabinets. The white is so open and airy!

Your kitchen is lovely, but I do understand wanting a change. If I ever change the kitchen in this house it will be white cabinets for sure. Good luck with this fun project!

o

Gorgeous kitchen, bonnieann! It looks so fresh and pretty - thanks for sharing your photo.

I gotta say I'm getting VERY excited after reading about BM's Advance primer and paint. (Thanks again to patty_cakes for the link!) Sounds like there wouldn't even be a ton of prep work to do - just clean and lightly sand, prime, and paint. The hardest part might be in getting the cabinet doors off, as their old butterfly hinges are painted and I'm guessing VERY well-affixed. (And honestly? I don't even know that I'd bother painting the insides of the cabinets -- they're red.) I'm very inspired about this project, though -- just need to decide on a color! (Cream or green? Green or cream?)

o

I painted most of my cabinets and all of the beadboard walls with SW Dover White, which is a soft cream. I used SW Gauntlet Gray for the large cabinet on the opposite side of the kitchen. Green and red are my accent colors. If I ever get tired of the ivory cabinets, I will paint the lower ones as shown in MizM's photo.
Good luck, SunnyCottage! Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

o

The opposite side of my kitchen has a gray cabinet with cream walls.

o

Pinkpaula, your kitchen is gorgeous, and I am madly in love with your sink! I love the beadboard on your walls too -- it 's all just so very charming.

Still positively pondering this project, although DH keeps telling me that it's going to be "a major undertaking." Really? How difficult could it be to remove the old uppers, repaint them, and hang them back up? He's concerned about either salvaging our current hinges or finding exact match replacements. Here's a photo of what we're dealing with ...You can see that the previous owner had the "bright idea" to paint the hinges, and they're thick with it. Ugh.

o

I painted over my cabinet hinges too -- and frankly -- the easiest thing to do is to sand off slightly (and/or use Liquid Sandpaper) -- and re-paint.

We painted our doors right on the cabinets .... not ideal ... but not that bad ....

o

>>>We painted our doors right on the cabinets .... not ideal ... but not that bad ....<<<

Really? Tell me more! Oh boy, if I could get away with NOT removing the doors, I'd be in heaven. Were you able to get adequate coverage that way? I've been having some back problems lately, and I have a life-size vision of myself twisted into a pretzel shape trying to paint these darn things. ;-)

o

I love the picture of the cream uppers and red lowers. I agree too that it would tie in with your eating area if you plan on leaving all the trim red.

It looks to me like the original owner painted those cabinets/hinges/doors while they were hung. Otherwise, the hinges wouldn't be totally sealed to the door as is shown in your pic.

Goodluck, it's a big project, but thankfully you don't have a huge number to do if you leave the lowers red.

o

DH used a brush to paint the door -- but he says that clean/sand/Liquid Sandpaper ... and then use Kilz for several good coats .....

o

Another who painted cabinet hinges~they were painted already, but since the cabinets were older, probably would have done it anyway.

Jen, if you want beadboard, but not into a DIY project or spending extra $$$ to have it done, use the wallpaper, so much easier. If you're up for it, you could add a 2" trim(liquid nails)to the upper doors only, and apply the wallpaper to give the beadboard look. I've used it several times to the back of open cabinets, I paint it white first then glaze. Doesn't look much different than my glazed kitchen cabs. You could even do,the bottom portion of your walls under the chair railing

Here is a link that might be useful: wallpaper

o

Oh we are a lazy bunch aren,t we? I,ve painted cab doors up and went right over the hinges as well. The worst part of painting cabs is taking them down and putting them back up so I just bypassed that step. The tricky part then becomes painting the edge of the door the hinge is on. I recomment a artist paint brush for that or a small sponge brush. Since your tired of color in there my vote is for cream on top . Its easy to live with and if you decide painting isn,t so bad and decide to paint the lowers at some point cream will work with just about any color you choose.

o

I'm truly LOLing about this! Lazy schmazy ... hey, if it can be done and if it looks decent, why the heck not! ;-) That's really DH's main objection to my tackling this project. He knows he'll get roped into taking the doors down and rehanging them, and he's not too keen on the thought! Soooo ... I could just clean, lightly sand, and paint everything right where it is? I just might give that a try. I think I'd stand more of a chance of actually DOING it by taking the "lazy-schmazy" way out.

o

Another question: I'm planning to try the Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint. With the paint, would you choose a satin or semi-gloss? I spoke to someone at my local BM dealer who told me that satin is most often what they sell to people who are painting their cabinets, but I wanted to see what the consensus is here.

o

Jen, I'll offer the voice of gloom and doom.

Our house was built in 1938.

When we purchased a couple of years ago the paint was tight and beautiful on these built-ins, which were probably painted twice, once when built and then again in the 1970s. We wanted to change the color, and we hired expensive, highly-rated professionals. They said they'd have to use oil based paint but they did not prime. This is what we ended up with. See the peeling? Also, I made sure to tell them to keep the paint off the hinges and handles, so they removed the doors. See how the door no longer closes correctly? They swore they replaced the doors correctly, and a carpenter I hired couldn't make them close flat again. I am still sick over this 18 months later.

We even had the regional BM rep come out to tell us what had gone wrong. He said that the third coat (ours) had stuck properly (no liability to BM or the contractor), but that applying the third coat had cause the second coat to lift. Also, it continues to get worse as time passes.

If you must do this, use the best barrier type primer you can find. But I wouldn't do it.

o

SunnyCottage,
Thank you! My DH and I gutted the horrible kitchen, installed the wooden beadboard, and bought all the cabinets and the sink for $300 from a man on Craigslist who was flipping a house. We took the doors and worn out hardware off, primed and painted the cabinets outside on tarps, then put NEW hinges and knobs on. We got the hardware to match the original on EBAY. I know your hinges are pretty underneath all that paint. I have heard that people love a product called Soy-Gel that strips paint and is environmentally friendly, but I have not tried it.

If you decide to take your doors off, number them first.

Satin paint is nice on cabinets with semi gloss on crown and baseboards.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

o

Patty_cakes - thanks very much for the link and ideas on the beadboard wallpaper! That's really neat stuff, and I actually considered it for my upper walls after removing the old wallpaper there and going all the way down to the (rather rustic) boards beneath. I've lived with those boards (painted) now for long enough that they feel normal to me. ;-) Still - great looking wallpaper, and I'll keep it in mind!

Jamies ... WOW! Indeed you are the voice of gloom and doom, but with perfect reason to be! What a nightmare, and I'm so sorry that you're still sick about the way your cabinets turned out. I don't blame you; I would be too. How strange that the doors no longer close properly! Ugh ... what an awful mess. Very similar to your cabinets, I suspect mine have only been painted twice - once in 1940 when the house was built (they were a deep mint green then) and again in the early to mid-90s. I sure don't want to do something that's going to completely ruin what I've got. Perhaps if I do a test run on the inside of one of the upper cabinets (near the ceiling) I can see how the primer and paint are going to work out before proceeding. I do appreciate your cautionary advice very much.

PinkPaula - thanks for the Soy-Gel recommendation. Seems I have heard of that, and will check into it.

Oh, and I don't know WHY I thought there was only a quarter-round piece of molding at the very top of the cabinets. There is actually the same crown molding there that goes around the rest of the room.

o

Re the "perfect" creamy shade for my room ... I remain stumped. I know I want to use BM paint, but there must be a zillion different hues to consider! Can someone help me gauge what the different effect of, for example, these two shades would be?

Devon Cream: -- would this give a more yellow cast?

French White: -- would this give a more pink cast?

o

(I might add that I am very much drawn to that sample of Devon Cream - although how it would interpret on my cabinets is a complete mystery to me!)

o

A big vote for BM Alabaster OR Natural Wicker .....

o

Natural Wicker looks slightly less pink and more brown-gray than French White. I like it. I think Alabaster might be a bit whiter than I'd like to go, although it is a pretty shade.

Also looking at Vanilla Ice Cream.

Gah. This is hard!

o

Here's Natural Wicker (with white appliances) in a room with low-level lighting, much like mine. I like the subtle creaminess of this shade. It doesn't seem to be too much ... or too little ... of that hue I'm after.

o

ONE more shot of Natural Wicker. Yummy.

o

My cabinets (and trim) are painted BM Acadia White. To me, if there is an undertone, I would say green (which is what I wanted). I will post what pictures I have in my photobucket (they were from the construction/'just moving in' timeframe so please forgive any mess).

photo A647D0E0-93AC-460D-A841-47225D54284D.jpg

photo 81C833E7-B353-4121-9732-F509A4A44123.jpg
This was my under construction master bath- everything in here is acadia white- cabs, trim, walls, doors, etc.
 photo BE36EC06-3AFC-4199-87F9-EF9788690C48.jpg

Good luck to you! I agonized over finding the right whites for my house so I understand! I ended up using bm acadia white for all cabs and trim and some walls, bm linen white for some walls, and sw natural choice for a few walls. :)

o

Beautiful, Chilibeans!!!

o

Gorgeous rooms, Chilibeans! I love the way Acadia White looks in your space (and yeah, I think I can even see the slight green undertone you speak of)! How do you like Linen White on your walls? That's another one I'm kind of mulling over for my cabinets. At least online, it has a very creamy, warm look.

o

Navajo White. Love this.

Really, I don't know how I'll ever decide!

o

Hinges: our butterfly hinges in our 1908 house looked just like yours. I simmered them in water, a bit of dish soap and some vinegar. All the paint came off. I spray painted them black. They look awesome.

I also repainted my cabinets cream, a custom color in Cabinet Coat paint. This paint is wonderful, much more durable than the latex paint I used previously.
Diane

o

Love the photo with the white uppers, red bottoms and green walls. That has always been one of my favorite kitchens! BM's Mayonnaise is another good creamy white and I love the Navajo White as well. Think it will look great!

o

The walls of my master bath are French White. I don't think this is the creamy white color you are looking for. It is darker than creamy white (to me) and I chose it to go with the travertine tile (brownish).

o

Powermuffin, thanks for the info on the hinges. I still haven't decided if I'll take the cabinet doors down to paint, or take the easy way out and just paint them while hanging. It sure would be nice to have black hinges though. I love that look.

Sis2two - I'll check out Mayonnaise - thanks! It certainly SOUNDS "creamy", doesn't it? ;-)

Andee, thanks for the comment about French White. That's exactly what I need to hear -- If these colors I'm considering aren't going to give me the look I'm after, I want to know before spending $$!

o

I've found the perfect color in this little vintage creamer! I've carried it all around the room, held it up to "cover" a cabinet by squinting (ah, you know how we do!), and am so happy that after all my dithering and confusion, I have the perfect cabinet color on this little piece that's been sitting on a shelf. So ... I suppose the next step is taking this into my BM store and having them give me that "lady, you have three heads" look. Oh well. Whatever works, right?

o

Love the Navajo White. Perfect! Before you commit to doing two tone, white on top, red on bottom, notice how well lit the inspiration picture above is. There's a lot of artificial light in the picture.

Will your kitchen be as bright to make it work like in the picture? If not, even white can be drab without the right lighting.

o

ours our BM clay beige OC-11. It's a pretty decent match to fiesta ware ivory plates? I can't attach my pics from flikr anymore and I don't know why?? But I attached the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: OC-11 Cabs

o

I know that the amount of natural lighting in my space will affect how well the lighter cabinets translate, but this will also be done to break up the expanse of red that dominates the cabinet wall, which is just overwhelming the space. I've been consulting with an artist friend who tells me that she is considering doing the same thing in her kitchen. She says that lighter on the top / darker on the bottom is an old trick that provides visual "relief" to a space.

Christine40, thank you for sharing that color! It does indeed look like a great match to the Fiestaware ivory dishes! After further consideration, though, I think I need a shade just slightly more white than that (although I do love, love, love my ivory dishes).

I'm pretty much sold on the color of the little pitcher posted above. I've been cautioned to try to color match by looking at chips instead of having BM try to do it for me. I've been told that if I have a decent eye for color, I may have better luck doing this than relying on their computer to get it right -- so I think I'll try that first.

o

And the winner is ... BM Indian White. This shade is very close to Navajo White, which was the forerunner, but has just a touch more warmth to it, which the BM salesman said should work better in my space considering the direction the windows face. Can't wait to get busy on this project. I've got everything I need, but need to make sure I properly and thoroughly prep first.

o

And so it begins. This paint is a dream to work with. It covers even this deep red beautifully!

o

I'm way late to the party. It's going to look great! Love the color you chose. Which BM paint did you go with?

o

We have cream cabinets with a strong yellow undertone combined with soapstone counters. Love the combination.
 photo DSC04331.jpg
 photo DSC04260.jpg
 photo DSC04116.jpg

o

Beautiful kitchen hippie!!

o

Thanks, Shee! I chose BM Indian White, and THOUGHT it would be perfect - but I always have a little bit of apprehension until I open the can and start painting. I'm extremely pleased with this color, and think it's going to provide just the right amount of cream, while not being too yellow against the white that's in the room.

vwhippiechick - wow, your space is indeed beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing and providing me even more inspiration!

o

Wow, it looks perfect, can't wait to see more progress pics. :)

o

Oh sorry! I was asking what type of BM paint did you use? (You mentioned it covered nice and I was curious.)

o

oh my goodness!! i think your kitchen will look fantastic with creamy cabinets and trim!! it is a very tedious undertaking, but i think it will be well worth it!

o

Neat-o kitchen and house. I see you are already underway. No one asked or pointed out what is one of my meh-points in white/cream kitchens. How do you feel about the play of Indian Cream, and other creamy ironstone colors, with the stark white of your backsplash, counter, and appliances?

Frequently I am not a fan of them together. I include two pictures to illustrate what I consider to be pleasing pairings (first two pictures) and the not so pleasing:

div>

I wish I was better able to expound upon this subject. In the first example I like (perhaps not the best example because it is lacking white appliances etc) the cabinet color is BM HC-83 Grant Beige. In the #2 favorite, the paint color is not listed. In the last photo the cabinet color is BM Ivory White 925. I do not have that paint chip in my BM fan deck so I cannot compare the two colors.

Comparing Grant Beige HC-83 to your choice, Indian White HC-88, the Indian White is yellowy and the Grant Beige is grayish.

I too love the interplay of red and green as in the color schemes of vintage utensils. My admittedly uneducated and dilettante color theory is that you can't always use the exact colors because the scale of a room versus that of a small object changes the feel, as do the interplay of other colors of the room. Such as a floor being a different tone than that of the wood rolling pin.

So to lazily sum up -- I do hope you have thought out what combo you like before you paint all the cabinets. What you like in the ironstone pitcher might not be the effect you get with the cabinets next to the white counters & backsplash.

**** edited to correct photo omission

This post was edited by onedogedie on Sat, May 17, 14 at 12:50

o

onedogedie- in the bottom pic, the tile seems to be a 'cool white' which doesn't look very nice with the yellow white of the cabinets--- i don't see that same problem with the indian white cabinet sample and OP's backsplash white...

o

busybee3 - Agreed!

And I didn't say, but hope I implied, that the creamy yellow that can show up in the final product is as it should be if that is the look one likes. I would assume that the owners of the Traditional Kitchen are quite pleased with their kitchen!

I can't wait to see the results of SunnyCottage's hard work.

o

Well, I'm making progress but it's rather slow going. I'm loving the lighter feel the creamy white uppers bring to this space and wish I'd done this years ago. I'm using BM Advance paint.

o

Okay I know this isn,t my kiltchen but I am so excited for you! It looks great so far.

o

Love this! It's going to be spectacular!

o

Looking really terrific!

o

Looks great! It will be worth all the hard work!

o

onedogedie - thanks so much for the photos! They illustrate your point very well. I agree that sometimes the combo can be a bit ... "off." The Indian White is actually not quite the creamy, more yellow-based tone that I initially had in mind, but it feels perfect in the room. I got a bit more done last night ... For now I'm going to leave the window painted red. The trim around it all has sort of a "separate" feel to it anyway, so I think I can get away with that. We're soon to be in the process of replacing windows, so I'm not going to spend time painting what's there; I think the red will be a fun accent there, and keep the tie-in with the rest of the space going on. I'm also going to leave the little shelf just below the cabinets red, as that's where my Fiesta ivory teacups reside, and they show up nicely against the red.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and inspiration! Can't believe I waited so long to do this!

o

SunnyCottage I stressed about this all night . When painting cab doors up you need to keep them at least partically open for a week to a month depending on your humitity level. My freind who has a paints homes for a living gave me that tip because we have low temps with 90 plus humidity so drying times are really slow.Dry to touch is not the same as really being usably dry. I can,t wait to see the finished produce its stunning so for, you made a great color choice. I think I would paint the sides of the cabs around the window and do exactly what you said about the window trim staying red. It will really make that window stand out and tye the whole look together.

o

Thanks, madeyna! I've kept the cabs at least partially open - but will make sure DH doesn't go around closing them when I'm not at home. ;-) I understand what you mean about "dry to the touch" not really being fully dry. Good tip.

Yep, I'm painting the sides of the cabinets next to the window, and the top where the light over the sink is, but will leave the window and trim around it red.

Thanks for your kind words. These are really just old, tired cabinets from 1940 -- but they are real wood, so I guess they've at least got that going for them. ;-)

When I get done painting the cabinets, I'm going to have the red color-matched and go around touching up a lot of places that have gotten nicked up over the years. Of course, I'm sure the new paint won't be absolutely identical to what's there, so I'll end up repainting some red areas as well. Never-ending, it seems!

o

I haven't read all the posts, but want to say that I just LOVE, LOVE the white creamy uppers with the red lowers and the black in the tile and handles.
Are you keeping the walls and moldings as is or paint those in the creamy white, too?

o

Thanks, nosoccermom! I'm keeping the green walls and red trim throughout -- at least for the foreseeable future. The thought of redoing all the trim (and walls) makes me feel a bit woozy. ;-) The uppers that I've painted thus far really do bring a much lighter feel to the space and provide definite "visual relief" from what was red overload on this particular wall.

o

I took my probly old wood cabs out of this 1915 house and replaced with a nice kitchen that has all the bells and whistles I wanted like pull out spice racks. I have been whining ever since because I miss my painted cabs. There is something to be said for being able to do anything you want with them with out devalueing the home. I did cream on top and eggplant purple on bottom and it was great.

o

That sounds gorgeous, madeyna! I would love to have a new-but-vintage-looking kitchen, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. It's funny, but before I started painting the uppers and was discussing this with DH, he said that if they didn't turn out the way I hoped, we'd just start saving our $$ to have new cabinets installed! (I don't think he has a clue what that would actually cost though!)

o

I would have been happy with my old ones but they were too narrow for a plate to set in and the shelves to short for a box of cerial to stand in. So when when we discovered the lower cab the sink was in was rotten we decided to replace them all rather than just rebuild the one. With the housing market still soft I think most people would be better off just doing what your doing and rehabing the old ones.

o

What a fun transformation. I would leave the window red too. Should you find that the hinges are unhappy with another coat of paint, you can get new ones. House of Antique Hardware has some, which they call Victorian Butterfly Hinges and also Hardware Hut, though it might be hard to match the profile exactly depending on the size.

o

Why did I not open this post sooner? (Maybe because I have dark dreary cabinets! )Wow. I can't wait to see where you stop! I so want to do this. I dont know what I was thinking with my kitchen and house. Maybe I was in a dark mood when I had my cabinets stained from orange to dark brown? In denial about the light? I have no idea! But I need to do it too! :)

OK, done yelling at myself.

PS - see what I mean? I want to go get paint samples now too :) I wonder what it will take to convince DH.

photo kitchen004.jpg

o

LOL at boop! I know exactly how you feel. I've toyed with the idea of doing something different with my cabinets for a long time, but once I finally arrived at the decision to go for it, I felt like nothing would stop me! I'm not quite halfway done now ... darn other commitments keep getting in the way of my painting ... but I hope to be finished, or nearly there, by the end of the day on Monday. Even though it's only a partial job thus far, I still feel my spirits lift now when I'm in the kitchen. I hadn't realized how oppressive the dark upper cabinets really were until I started making the change. The lighter color also somehow seems to make the whole space feel more vintage -- more true to the house's age and era. Go for it! :-D

o

I can't resist posting a "nearly there" progress pic! One more cabinet to paint white, and I'm done. ;-)

o

I'm still toying with the idea of painting the little shelf under each bank of cabinets (where you can see my teacups displayed) the same color as the cabinets. I will leave the molding and window trim red though.

o

It looks AMAZING, AWESOME, (I can't think of another A word. ) :) Do you love it? Do you feel like a weight is lifted?

o

Looks wonderful!

o

It looks great! I would probably paint those shelves as well, to reflect more light towards your teacups.

o

Thanks so much! I've started in on the last cabinet, so will probably get that finished up in the next day or so. I agree that painting the little "under-shelves" would brighten that area as well. That may be my weekend project. :-)

Boop, the whole room seems larger and airier now! I love the change.

o

Amazing transformation! I'm so impressed how well the paint has covered the strong RED. I may have missed how you proceeded. Did you sand, prime? How many coats to achieve this look? Did you paint in place?

o

It looks like it really brightens that side of the room up.

o

Linelle - Following the instructions of the salesman at the Benjamin Moore store, I wiped down the cabinets and then very lightly sanded, just enough to take the gloss off the old red paint. I was all prepared to prime first, but he said it wasn't necessary with the Advance paint. He cautioned me not to lay down the first coat too heavily and warned me that it would look like it wasn't covering at all, but just to proceed with a second and third coat. The first coat really does make me go, "ugh, this looks awful!" -- but the second starts looking a lot better, and the third glides on "like buttah" and covers completely. I absolutely love this paint, and think it made even these old, crummy cabinets look as good as they possibly could. I did paint everything in place (removing the handles, of course), which has caused me to have to twist into various pretzel shapes at times -- but I think if we'd taken these old cabinets off to paint we would have quite possibly had more problems than we bargained for in trying to rehang them.

o

Looks wonderful! I agree, paint those little shelves.

ML

o

Yeah -- those little shelves do look like they are meant to be a part of the cabinets, don't they? Thanks! :-)

o

Just in the door from a road trip -- and I adore your new light-and-wonderful cabinets!!! LOVE the color -- and it really suits the tile color and the whole room!

Very well done indeed! :)

o

I can't believe how much you've done!! It looks fabulous!! YAY!

o

I love the change it looks great! I kept looking at the picture to figure out why my eye was bothered--I think it's the red crown above the cream cabs. it breaks up too much for me...if those cabs take the whole wall would you/could you paint the crown to match? would give the illusion that it belongs to the cabs and not the wall? I'm not totally sure without being in the whole room, I just think it's too broken up for my eye!

o

Christine - good point, and I'm still mulling over that trim. I think you do get a different perspective when viewing the room as a whole, and not just the one cabinet wall that I've been posting. The red crown molding goes all around the kitchen and the adjoining breakfast room, so it does tie together, I think, better than reflected here. I'll post pics of the entire space once I get that last cabinet painted and do the little shelves underneath as well and would like to see what you think then. :-)

o

Hello SunnyCottage! I would agree that your paint project is going to creep further aground! Here's some food for thought, mined from the web.

"A room with crown molding most likely has other trim as well, such as around doors and windows. Painting the crown molding to match the other molding in the room creates a cohesive environment. If the other trim in the room is stained, stain the crown molding to match. One exception is when the ceiling seems low in the room already -- a crown molding that is painted a different color than the walls may make the ceiling seem even lower because the highlighted molding draws the eyes upward. In this case, you might opt to paint crown molding and walls to match."

I took one of my little forays into Photoshop to explore. This example shows painting the crown to match the ceiling (which was also given as an option to optically raise a ceiling on other websites). At least that is the intention of my doctored photo, but I think my attempts provide a laugh for experienced photoshoppers.

o

It might be against the rules of crown molding but I lean towards matching the walls & the cabinet. Ideally the green would perfectly match.

Anyhow, your home is an exuberant joy and no matter where the paint begins or ends, it will be perfect.

o

I think the second picture posted really illustrates my point that the crown should be painted the cab color---to my eye, that makes a big difference! although I am not a red fan, I wonder if trim should be neutral (door trim, window trim, and crown) and allow the red lower cabs to really stand on their own??

Talk about scope creep! sorry for suggesting it sunny cottage!

o

The white upper cabinets look amazing with the red cabinets below. I really think that painting the CM will open the room up and make the ceiling look higher. Here's a side by side for comparison:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here