Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Making your home look sexy (without being obvious)

judithva
10 years ago

There was not enough room for my whole title above: it should read: "Making your home look sexy (without being obvious), comfortable and luxurious.."

I thought it would be fun to post my thoughts on this, as well as giving your thoughts too on what you feel would make your home look sexy (without being obvious) along with being comfortable and luxurious at the same time.

Of course this will be different for a lot of people; it’s all in the eye of the beholder.
But this is the look I am going for in my home, specifically the living room, dining room and master bedroom, and even my dinky bathroom.

Ok, here goes with my plans, and thoughts on the matter.

Some background info, this comes from a renovation of removing and putting up walls in my home.
I removed a wall from a super tiny 3rd bedroom that was separated from my (at the time) entry and living room. My new living room is now the old 3rd bedroom (11’x11”), the old living room is now the new dining room, which I do utilize.
I am going to add french doors to the wall between the LR and the master bed room, maybe others would not like this, but it works for my life (I will get tons of extra light in to the LR by doing this)

So here are my thoughts on achieving the “look” as mentioned above. Please feel free to add what you would do to get the “look”.

Mirrors (done with tact) throughout the LR, DR, Master bedroom.
Materials: velvets, silk (or silk like) in drapes and upholstery
Down pillows in bedroom and in the throw pillows on the couch. (details: fringe on edges, and some with simple piping)
Carpet (as in large area rugs)
Very comfortable couch and sitting chairs
Fireplace in LR
Crystal chandler in bedroom and DR
Crystal items (accessories)
Lighting: table lamps, up lights, picture/art lights (lighting really sets a cozy, and even dramatic mood)
Tufting in bed head board
Footstools
French style moldings
Mirrored bedside table
Candles, candle opera
Decorative standing screen
Canopy bed
Upholstered bed
Plants, full palm types (dining room I am thinking)
Books I love
Moldings, and crown, thru the house
Wall colors
That’s it for now, what are your thoughts?

Comments (70)

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know what you mean.

Martyn Lawrence Bullard's bedroom designs come immediately to mind. Also some of his dining rooms.

Stacy Dash's bedroom from M$D season 2....

"luxurious and sparkly space that oozes va-va-voom."

just delicious dahling...

• mary_ruth
    10 years ago

Hi Judith! I like your post because it shows how you really pay attention to mood and design of the rooms you view. I am glad you are picking something for a style that motivates you!

I think you mean the 'idea' and intimacy of small spaces that are done like jewel boxes and rich with tactile and visual elements that might just make you want to never leave the space!

So glad to see you 'back in action' after being on a hiatus for so long! So happy to SEE YOU POSTING!

• User
    10 years ago

I also remember your pics, and your vignettes and home are beautiful - wish you would post some pics for all to see. Glad to see you again!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yes, a lot in the list sounds like hollywood glam to me, esp the mirrored sided tables. Think of a room with Bette Davis in a satin gown sprawled across a sofa or a bed.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-staging-new-jersey-home-stager-grey-silver-real-estate-home-staging-modern-bedroom-newark-phvw-vp~193690)

[Modern Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by Toms River Home Staging DYS Home staging in N.J. by Yaxy Sysol

But for sexy, comfortable and luxurious, the mix of materials is important but so much more goes into it including the massing and balancing of the furniture in the room, the colors and how monochrome they are, and the balance of light in the room.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I think Hollywood Regency is sexy . But the 80`s Miami Vice take on HR or even art deco is NOT sexy.

I also happen to think that classic leather club chairs, a chesterfield sofa and wooden panelled walls with many bookcases, a standing globe and a set of crystal decanters is sexy. Its all about the vibe.

Sexy is not.overtly sexual (mirrored ceilings and a round, fur.covered waterbed!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I like to thing of "luxury" instead of "sexy" maybe, and that speaks to quality. Sometimes luxury is very simple, so it shouldn't be confused with being overwrought.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Right. Subtle suggestion is sexy. Possibilities, intriguing. ("Hey, Babe!" decor, not so much.)

A chaise with soft throw pillows, as opposed to the kind you bounce off of. Luscious brown velvet that says "come fondle me," rather than "tennis anyone?" from an energetic orange and green daisy print. A cushy, sink-into rug instead of sisal.

Good topic, Judith. You made me realize yet another reason we never considered anything but nice wall-to-wall in our bedroom suite, even if we do do very little rolling on the floor these days. :)

• judithva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posting on my break…..

Yayagirl, thanks for the link, I love houzz, I have seen lots of beautiful rooms there.

Nosoccermom, great list, they definitely apply to me! I am already in a good mood just reading them.

Sueb20, I agree with your thoughts too. Beauty and well as decorating is always ‘in the eye of the beholder”.

Candelabra, that’s what I get for googleing spelling …. LOL

Kswl, word meaning….it’s different for many, enough said, I don’t want to beat a dead horse  But “glamour puss, and old Hollywood” works for me too.

Lynninnemexico You have a lot of great ideas too. Your master bedroom sounds absolutely dreamy! Love the idea of the private garden too. You’ve said so far what apparently I have not been able to successfully express here. I don’t have the gift of writing….

Grlwprls, enjoyed reading your post too, you make a lot of great points, their homes, atmosphere, how our loved one dress, it all comes together.

Debark, we’re on the same vibe too, and I agree with the marketing/advertising thoughts too. I had a best friend years ago that had a degree in marketing and she learned the same thing in college, it’s part of what makes the world go round…

Palimpsest, your room choice is just fine, I am sure I would love your homes, I have enjoyed your posts in the past so I have no doubt that anyone to cross your threshold would be thrilled to be there.

Tuesday_2008, yes, I think it was me… I often use my “lady” in my Christmas decorating, I love draping “her” with odds and ends, I thought she was very sexy..if I could only look so good! LOL Yes I still have those pics, I will post a link of my blog below for you.

Beekeeperswife, Love a lot of Martyn Lawrence Bullards designs, I found him thru a reality tv decorating show last year. Love the pic of Stacy Dash’s room you posted, that is a bed I would love to have, but I fear my bedroom would not be big enough to hold it.

Maryruth, Thanks! Yes, I did miss posting, I had chemo again, it threw my life apart all last year.. I am trying to get back to living a normal life again.

Gail618, thank you, you are kind to remember me, and welcoming me back.

Anniedeighnaugh, love the first photo you posted too, it almost reminds me of my bedroom size and layout, with the exception I have a window on the left side of the bed too. The second pic is wonderful too, the size of that room would be almost the size of my whole house!

Pesky, totally agree, one of my fav looks is the English styled, dark walled, bookcase lined, overstuffed dark leather chairs & couch etc. Yes, its all about the personal vibe.

Hope I did not miss any one, I will have to post later when I am at home.
    For those who might like to see some of my pics, see link.
    PS, my blog is not updated, being very sick last year put a damper on things.

Here is a link that might be useful: my old blog

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Rosie: Great points . . . and I'm ROFLMAO at your reasoning for wall-to-wall. Love it!

Pal: an "celibate" bedroom? That is such a curious term to explain a decorating style for a bedroom, in my mind. I don't mean wrong or weird, just interesting.
    In my thesaurus,some of the antonyms for sexy include: Conservative; Cool; Unsensual; Simple; Unprovacative: Chaste. Would another way to describe that style be austere? If you have time, would you post a couple of examples of what you mean. I'm intrigued.
    Lynn

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Thanks for the blog link - I had forgotten just
    how beautiful your home was.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Judith, I loved the "bar" you created so much, that I used it as the inspiration to create one of my own.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I stumbled across this vendor a few weeks ago and thought the collection was extremely sexy.

Of course it helps if you can swan around in couture while at home (as I type in my paint splattered shirt). Sinuous silhouettes, sumptuous fabrics and a touch of fantasy says sexy decorating to me.

Go to her FB page too and look at the photography and you'll see what I mean. It's gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Koket

This post was edited by deedee99 on Thu, May 16, 13 at 18:28

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I love this thread! I will jump in -

For me a big part of a sexy home is toy/child paraphernalia containment. Right now I am being lazy so there are no fewer than 7 soccer balls rolling around the first floor of my house. But in general I am strict on the main floor not being a toy chum, lego, nerf bullet zone. Downstairs playroom and upstairs bedrooms are the toys zones, and that helps me feel relaxed and like I live in a grown up's house.

Along with that is not a lot of decor accessories. For me, they can feel dated fast and just busy up the room for me visually, so I love a room where less is more.

I so agree with Lynninmexico about the huge importance of great lighting. I have dimmers and table lamps everywhere. (my least favorite dinner party is when I am seated and there is some crazy 1000 watt light fixture shining down on me. ugh)

Another big piece for me is the importance of texture in making a room feel warm and inviting. So I love my flokati rugs in the LR, oversized greige cable knit throw in the FR, and white flannel sheets and duvet in the MBR. I don't think texture gets enough credit for what it can do for a room.

And of course, I love shades of white and cream. They play up great architecture (which for me is super sexy) and help to highlight the play of natural light and shadow in a room.

Put texture together with white - and I will need some privacy! :)

Walnutcreek, I LOVE your bar - that is grown up and sexy. I so want one but considering I almost chugged a Guinness this morning at 8am to make room in the fridge for groceries, I am not sure this is a good idea for me...

• vsalzmann
    10 years ago

When I think sexy decoration, I immediately think mid-century modern with out-of-this-world views and beautiful furniture. A room that is about to host a glamorous cocktail party full of Hollywood stars. That screams sexy to me. Tasteful and not at all overtly sexual.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Those intriguing possibiities. Who knows where such an evening might end?

Laurainlincoln, you mentioned a decorating feature that had just leapt to mind and I came back to add: privacy! Enabling, encouraging, suggestive privacy.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

oh my gosh Rosie, you are so right! I was not thinking about it that way, but that is just a perfect addition.

(DH and I always try sneak off to our more isolated living room for a drink and to actually look at each other in the face). Privacy makes a huge difference.

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Ha! I thought I was the only one who looks in the fridge after grocery shopping and says, "One or more of these beers really has to go." Or who makes all the new Pirate's Booty lunchbox bags fit in the assigned drawer by eating the bag that won't fit.

The counter depth fridge sure looks good, but this particular one is terrible inside!

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

That's an interesting thread going on!

I don't think "sexy" would equal "glamour" in every case. Here are so many connotations to "sexy":

- erotic, which is the most obvious;
    - sensuous;
    - intimate;
    - private;
    - seductive;
    - provocative;
    - thrilling;
    - exciting;
    - alluring;
    - lounging;
    - virile;
    - fertile;
    - intriguing;
    etc.

Some of those connotations would suit a Hollywood glam salon better, while others would be more appropriate in private areas like bedrooms, bathrooms and boudoirs.

When it comes to interior design choices I would think about contrasting "male" and "female" qualities, Yin and Yang:

- Coarse vs smooth;
    - Aggressive vs submissive;
    - Gloss vs matte;
    - Hard vs soft;
    - Straight vs curved;
    - Cool vs warm;
    - Exuberance vs restraint;
    - Forward vs discreet

The list could go on, but I have to leave now. Hopefully I'll be back here to elaborate on it.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I agree with Pal, sexy and hot are becoming overused words.

But I do get what judithva is describing, and for me as far as decor goes it means sleek, uncluttered, slightly unpractical, some bling, some mirrored surfaces, a decor where you want to be looking good and sip a glass of champagne, not kick your shoes off and throw on your sweats. You could have a sexy decor and still do that though. If someone compliments you on your decor and says it's warm and homey, it definitely is not sexy. I would use the words urban and glitzy more than sexy, but it could all mean the same.

Some people mean young when they say sexy, I've noticed.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Monastic bedroom? (I do actually like very Spartan bedrooms).

I think that the sexiest person is often the one who doesn't even realize it and is not Trying to be. A room could probably be the same way.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Monastic bedroom....for the missionary position?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Laurainlincoln, that bar belongs to Judithva. I used it as inspiration to create one of my own, because I fell in love with it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OK, here are some bedrooms that are very simple (maybe monastic) and, I think, sexy:

And another, serious, question: Can you have a sexy bedroom that has hardwood floors?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Judithva, what a fun post. I am so enjoying everyone's thoughts about what constitutes a sumptious home.

I am remodeling my living room as soon as the kitchen is finished. I have chosen a tufted back sofa with a nubby, lineny taupe fabric, a slightly deeper taupe set of leather arm chairs, and a jacobean print in taupes and chocolates on a cream background tub chair. Hardwood floors will be chestnut sapele. I think it will be very simple looking, yet I hope elegant as well.

The only darn problem is my DH who wants to add his touch to the decorating with blue jeans and other clothing items strewn around my pretty room. Now if he were George Clooney I wouldn't mind his blue jeans and other clothing items being strewn around but alas he is no more George Clooney than I am Angelina Jolie.

I am hoping when I get to the point that I am ready to bite the bullet on the living room you will all weigh in!

• mdrive
    10 years ago

whenever i hear the term 'sexy' describing decor, i tend to think 'sleek and sexy' (think penthouse apt with lots of texture, sleek hard finishes, neutral, with bling, and modern art)

i look at the OP's blog and her home is just fabulous....yet i would not say it reads 'sexy' per above...it reads LUXE and romantic (is that SEXY??) i guess i agree with pal....the term 'sexy' is overused and leaves far too much open to interpretation to really 'get' what the person is say...

that said:

sex·y
    [sek-see] Show IPA
    adjective, sex·i·er, sex·i·est.
    concerned predominantly or excessively with sex; risqué: a sexy novel.
    sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality: the sexiest professor on campus.
    excitingly appealing; glamorous: a sexy new car.

number 3 is how sexy is used to give a pretty accurate defining vision ....anyone care to define the style of what makes a 'sexy new car'?

porsche comes to mind for me...

as in 'sleek and sexy'

:)

• User
    10 years ago

nosoccermom...I sure think that bare wood floors are very sensuous. All one has to do is walk across them on a hot day and feel the cool wood on bare feet..I get goose-bumps when I think about it. Here are a couple pics from our Master bedroom...

light and shadow and lace...

white linens...goosedown comforter...yum...

add an antique Oriental rug to add to the mystery and off set some of the wood. I take up all rugs in Summer just so I can slide my feet over the cool bare floors :)

Very nice thread and some wonderful pics. I love those bedrooms. ! c

• mary_ruth
    10 years ago

NOW that BAR that Judith created, THAT BAR IS SEXY!

I don't know the words that would describe what I would think is a sexy room. BUT, IF a room makes me feel relaxed and not have to look at 'housework needing to be done' to ME that room is down right relaxing and possibly sexy! :) Also has to be an adult room, not full of toys nor a 'man cave' (which I think is the LEAST sexy room).

You really did a GOOD post here, got all of us thinking about how we feel about certain decor and what we ourselves like in relaxing and stimulating rooms! :)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Let's see:

How about:

"intimate" -- a slow reveal of a room that allows the viewer a glimpse or peek into the subtle personal workings of the owner's psyche (a deliberate choice of word!)

Artworks
    Books
    Rugs
    Lighting options -- a range of lighting that suit the mood
    Seating that allows conversations (which could be rare and precious in this digital age)
    Personal keepsakes of a life well-traveled
    Offerings of food and drink (again -- a deliberate choice of words or turn of phrase)

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

Jumping back in here.

I agree with Trailrunner on the wood floors. They look so much richer. For something soft underfoot, throw on an area rug. I never liked wall-to-wall carpeting. It makes me think of all that dust and grime stuck between the fibers. Love the comment on the interplay of light and shade!

Nosoccermom: the last bedroom (with a stone wall) looks sexy to me. The contrast of the rugged wall and soft bedding is sensuous. The first one, all in white, doesn't appeal to me at all. Too cold, too stark, too bare. Makes me feel like I'm out in the open on a snow plain.

Teacats' idea about a "slow reveal" is right on the spot. Yesterday I studied a house design portfolio after posting a link to it in another thread. One of the projects fascinated because, well, it looked sexy. I'm posting a few photos below.

The LR is restrained, with a nod to Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Geometric and unfussy. I could see a dual-income, professional couple appreciating the simplicity and comfort of the room after a busy day. The only bright color are the red pillows on the couch.

The same house has another room furnished in a totally different style. Upholstered walls, Oriental-style riot of red and "harem" decor add a whole new dimension to the couple's image. I could see the parents sneaking there after their kids are in bed, setting their wine glasses on the ledge, perhaps turning on a TV on the opposite wall or engaging in something more interactive.

The indoor pool is another proof that this couple with kids puts a lot of importance on their marital relationship. Klimt might be a cliche, but it's so appropriate in the context. The contrast of the heavy straight beams above and the soft roundness of the pool below is sexy indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design portfolio with the house with Klimt indoor pool

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I just viewed your wonderful blog and can't imagine why you'd need anyone's ideas, your own ideas are fabulous. What a gorgeous creation you've made of your home, I can't wait to see what more you do. Amazing.

• Ideefixe
    10 years ago

Scrooge McDuck is sexy.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Judith, first let me say how awesome is it to have you post~I hope you decide to stay and not be such a stranger. I saw you were on the small house forum and kept waiting for pictures of the renovation, but was so disappointed when I didn't see any. ;o( I remember you were tearing down a wall yourself and I couldn't believe it! So is it complete and are we going to see the 'afters'? Anyone who has ever been on other forums w/you knows what a feast for the eyes it quite possibly could be.

Now in re:to your question, I think the word you might be looking for is not sexy per se, but SOPHISTICATED. Am I right? I built a new home in TX a few years ago, and I had always had traditional with a hint of cottage~ I knew that wasn't going to work for this house. The exterior is stone and brick, arched windows/ front entrance, with interior arches also. I wanted an 'adult' house, so no fluff like I had before~floral wallpaper definitely wouldn't work.

My main colors are black, ivory/white, and gold, with all walls being a warm medium tan~it glows like candlelight in the evening~all ceiling fixtures are on dimmers. Lamps also are always set for ambience except when i'm reading. Area rugs are all black/cream/gold. I'm posting a link to the rug I have in the great room since that was what gave me the idea for my colorway. In spite of the fact that it has some blue, that wasn't my vision. My sofa is a deep gold herringbone chenille, and I chose two slipper chairs in a leopard print. All furniture in this room is stained, though not necessarily the same color, but dark rather than light. Floors are a dark hand scraped. In *my* minds eye, I find the darker colors to look sophisticated, just as a black dress is usually recognized as being sophisticated, and the right shoes, accessories, etc., are what really bring it to the finish line. The main floor follows thru with the colors~entry foyer is black granite/creama marfil marble on the diagonal flooring. DR and kitchen floors are the dark wood also, and the powder room is travertine, with bedrooms being a tan carpeting. ALL rooms are accented with black in some way, and light fixtures are wrought iron except for the DR, powder room, and MB/M bath chandeliers.

I've been in my house almost 5 years and haven't tired of the color scheme. because for some reason, I don't see it as anything I really *tried* to do. Everything just sort of fell into place after that first purchase of the rug. I forgot to mention trim and doors~I opted for a color 3 shades darker than the wall color, it's sort of a warm carmel color. When I thought of white for this house, it seemed too colonial, if that makes any sense.

There's a book by the name "Love Affair With a House"~I think I understand exactly what the author meant. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: rug...

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Yikes! Just my 2 cents, but I think the house with the pool is downright tacky. Looks like a bordello. Obviously someone, decorator(?) or owner, was trying wayyyy too hard and missed the mark.

• judithva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am enjoying all the diverse thoughts on what you all think, so many of them are right in line with my thoughts, and there are some new ideas that I had not considered deep enough, and some are very different from mine, which is great. I think there are thoughts and ideas that can work for many (if that is what pleases them.)

To those that spoke of me being away, I had mentioned it in a few posts, but I found out in late Dec.2011, that my cancer had returned and traveled. So almost all of 2012 had been, well, I will just say unpleasent, chemo and its horrible side effect, surgery, those that have been thru it will know what I mean.

But I am finally starting to get back to feeling much better, and trying to get my home done in a way that pleases me. I have alot to do! I will post pictures as I accomplish what I have set out to do. I plan on installing all my moldings and possibily my flooring, painting walls, sewing my pillow coverings, basically anything that I can manage to do on my own. I will enjoy the journey.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of the house with the pool either, but I am a big fan of the pics in OPs blog. Fabulous and sensuous and glamourous. She certainly doesn't need my help!

TR, interesting that you want to take the rugs up to feel the wood floor. I'm just the opposite. One of the sensuous things in my room that I love to sink my feet into every a.m. is my lambs wool rug....just a treat for the feet.

Sexy is all kinds of different things to different people, but in my way of thinking, it can be anything that excites the senses in such a way that it gets you to focus in on the here and now and want more...it can be eye candy like a piece of art...it can be something you want to touch like silks or fur....it can be something you hear, e.g., some musical instruments can be sexy like a clarinet or a saxophone (but a tuba or a glockenspiel, not so much) or for me, close harmony can make my socks roll up and down...it can be something you taste like a dark chocolate truffle, which also makes my socks roll up and down.

A room that triggers any or all of those would be sexy...so long as it doesn't trigger distasteful in any one of the senses. A beautiful room will not be sexy to me with heavy metal playing. A lovely concerto would be ruined if I had to eat liver at the same time.

• just_imagine
    10 years ago

Putting sexy decorating aside for a moment, I just want to say - welcome back, Judith! You've been greatly missed by those of us who have enjoyed your posts and eye-candy photos over the years. I've always enjoyed each and every one - especially your Christmas pics. I hope 2013 finds you in a much better place than last year and on the road to good health again.

• judithva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, thank you for the complement on my home (blush), but I can always use decorating advice I'm constantly in the process of learning. I enjoyed your thoughts on how you feel about the subject at hand "the look". :)

just_imagine, Aw, thank you too, I appreciate the welcome back, and the good health wishes, it does the soul good to be remembered!
    As far as Christmas goes it has a very special place in my heart for alot of reasons. I will probably always go over kill with my decor for that particular day (even though I promise my self every year to cut back), but it makes me happy.

• yborgal
    10 years ago

Judith, it's so good to have you back. I've missed the photos of your "sexy" tablescapes that were always such an inspiration to me. You've shown me that a simple meal can be elevated to a goumet's delight with the proper table setting. I imagine your finished home will convey the same ambiance. I look forward to seeing more pictures as the progress continues. Again, welcome back!

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

Judithva,

It's fabulous that you have regained the energy and creativity to redecorate. Doing something you enjoy definitely helps your healing. Your tablescapes look sumptuous!

It looks like my posting a photo of a Turkish bath lounge shocked some people here. I should have provided more context. :-) Unlike in the US, steam baths are a staple of life in Russia. Even a modest house would often have a small steam bath cabin in the backyard.

A large house like in the photos, would have a suite in the basement: a steam room, bathroom with a shower, a small dipping pool and a lounge/sitting room for relaxing. The typical choices would be a Russian steam bath (banya), Finnish sauna or a Turkish bath (hammam). A Finnish sauna suite would be done in a rustic/ski lodge style with wood paneling, stone/brick fireplace and such. The owners of the house shown opted for a Turkish bath and decorated the suite accordingly.

I do miss a sauna here in the US. It's so rejuvenating. But we have no basement and no room in the backyard. The only way to put it in would be to chop off a part of the garage. Way too expensive and would make it more problematic to sell the house down the road.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkish Bath - Hammam

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

LanaRoma, it's not the bath, but the decor that bothered me...good design should look effortless and those rooms you posted look to me like they're trying too hard to be something they aren't quite. Just my humble opinion.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

And on a slightly off-topic, lighter note.

Decorating is sensual. People are sensuous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal House

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like this topic because it helps me distinguish what I think looks like a sexy room and what I would consider a sexy room for myself.
    For myself:

Love this room, except for the night lamps and the left table.
    and

Maybe sexy but not for me:
    {{gwi:1691134}}

{{gwi:1691135}}

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Exactly, Nosoccermom. As the OP stated, "sexy" does take on different meanings for different people. I loved what grlwpearls said about what she and her husband find sexy in each other-- and how it translates to their rooms.

To me all the synonyms presented COULD be sexy but arent the same for all people. A romantic style can be sexy for some-- not for me. Same with glam. To me sexy is much like the first photo Nosoccermom shared. Decor that is bold and tactile is sexy to me.. sleek wood, simple, clean design... BOLD colors and/or lines... but then I am an oversized man's shirt kinda girl rather than a lingerie girl. A good tequila on the rocks vs champagne.

I have used "sexy" to describe this table a number of times-- it IS sexy to me.I want to run my hands along the legs. I am sure that makes some roll their eyes lol.. but I think it is gorgeous in its naked simplicity.

Great topic.. I've enjoyed reading most of it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, that is a good-looking table! But is it functional, i.e.how many chairs can you fit on the long side without bumping into the table legs?
    Does a sexy room have to be functional and practical?

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

An unmade bed itself can be sexy, even in a room bare of furniture. It's the occupants that bring in the sex appeal, each with their own personal essence, and attraction toward each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: sexy.......or romantic?

• rosie
    10 years ago

Judith, I'm glad that the pleasure of developing and playing with your home continues, even if interrupted for a while. At whatever scale indulged, it's such a homey, available, constant series of delights for those so inclined.

Trailrunner's bedroom is enlightening to me on this thread's subject; I had not thought of sunshine specifically for this list, yet just look what patterning it through lace can do for what or who it falls on.

Another facet: The quality of sound in a room. Before Trailrunner's also enlightening post about the sensuous pleasure of bare wood on a hot day, the bare or mostly bare floors mentioned made me think only of the rather jangly sound that tends to accompany them. Rooms lavishly carpeted (irrelevant whether the edges are tacked to the perimeter or it's called a rug) tend to have a lovely quiet, with ancillary, distracting sounds softened instead of amplified.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate post.

This post was edited by rosie on Sun, May 19, 13 at 15:25

• User
    10 years ago

rosie: thank you your post is enlightening too ! That is what is so wonderful about these threads. we all learn so much . I think a person behaves differently when the floors are bare....just think about it. My DH and I are very much into meditation and into being "present" as much as possible to our surroundings. We don't care for obtrusive noises either. We walk differently when the wood is bare and we move things differently when they are bare...makes one even more "present".

Thank you judith for a wonderful awakening with this post. I so enjoyed looking at your blog. What a delight to the eye. You have a gift. c

• User
    10 years ago

It was mentioned above that the slow revealing of a room /space is "sexy". I was just going into my bedroom and the light and shadow from the windows is a way of looking at the room that way. The ever changing patterns and the highlights of one particular area...whether it be a warm spot on the floor or coverlet or the light/lace/shadow on the wall. It reveals all imperfections and all the beauty.

As a person who meditates in the tradition of Vipassana , I know that every second everything changes. Nothing remains the same ever. This can be disconcerting to some as they are comforted by the familiar and frightened by the unknown. It can be wonderfully comforting when looked at as the essence of possibilities. All changes...nothing remains the same thus all is possible all will be different nothing will ever be stale.

Monday morning thoughts. c

• judithva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been back to this thread. I’m posting this on my lunch break, and I only have a certain amount of internet time I purchase each month, so I have to be careful not to blow it all too fast.
    Also, Saturday my new couch was delivered so I have been in a whirl; vacillating between guilt and utter satisfaction. I LOVE my couch….

Monablair, thank you for welcoming me back! I’m glad you enjoyed my table settings, I do it as much for my self as my guests. There is the old saying “you eat with your eyes”, and I try to elevate the experience not only for the food presentation, but for the surroundings that are present around the meal. Not that my look is for everyone, but I enjoy it…(but that’s probably a whole other conversation)

Lanaroma, thank you too for your complement for my table designs, and for healing good wishes!

Nosoccermom., I enjoyed your photos; I really like all white rooms, and canopies! I don’t mind a bit of black either, it adds drama. I enjoy using it in bits and pieces, in art frames, lamp shades, mirror frame, little accessories. Although, I have seen the blackest of black ceilings which to me, enlarged the space, and provided some interesting drama.

Funkyart, I enjoyed your description as to what makes you happy
    “ bold, tactile, sleek wood, simple clean design” , I could see it all in my head even without the lovely table you posted.

Patty_cakes, so true, it’s an equation of the chosen décor and well as the occupants, and since everyone is different, the look will evoke different terminology and description.

Rosie, yes, the sound is an important factor to me too. Soft, silent, feet moving along a floor of wood, marble, carpet, it’s all a part of the tactile experience. Music in the background, rain hitting the roof…

Trailrunner, yep, I certainly learn from different opinions and appreciations of what is part of our everyday lives. Everyone’s cocoons mean different things, I enjoy seeing and hearing what other people love in their life. I’m glad you enjoyed my blog, I will try to keep on top of it better now.
    I love the aspect of the slow revel too (life itself reflects that too… in so many interesting ways), I also like the dramatic “in your face”- here’s the room, of course, for me, it all depends on how it’s presented.