Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it a good idea to make couch higher by changing legs?

Posted by shelly2 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 9:57

I have trouble getting up out of my couch because of my bad knees and a lot of the sofa's are too low for me. Has anyone ever purchased a sofa with removable legs and replaced them with legs that would be a few inches higher, purchased from those companies on the internet that sell furniture legs? None of the salespeople in the furniture stores ever heard of anyone doing that and I wonder if it actually helps make the couch more comfortable or throws the body out of kilter. Is it a crazy idea or something viable to do? As long as my feet touch the floor when I am sitting, how can that be a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it a good idea to make couch higher by changing legs?

I've never actually done it but have often thought of it. It seems to me that they are making furniture a little shorter now. Especially at mass production furniture stores.

o

I got the extra tall bed risers (7 additional inches) at BBB following DH abdominal surgery and put them under chair and 1/2 legs. Worked like a charm!

o

I did it on the couch in the bonus room. One of the legs cracked and so I decided that was a good time to also raise the height of the couch. I bought the new legs at Home Depot in the molding department. You just need to finish them. The bolts/screws fit the old brackets, so it was basically take out the old and put in the new. That said the couch does not have a skirt so the extra height wasn't an issue with the looks. It makes the couch set better and I should have done it sooner.

o

Just check with the sofa's manufacturer and see if it can be done. I wanted to just change the legs/feet on my H&M leather Chesterfield, and asked and expert on Hancock and Moore. He contacted the company and due to the way the legs are attached, it can't be done on mine.

o

I have a bad back and mobility issues so I certainly sympathize. I agree...check with manufacturer. Good luck with your project, hope it all works out.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair lift

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here