Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

Can an Olive Drab Sofa Live in a Sea Salt room?

edeevee
9 years ago

The floor is in. The media cabinets get installed on Friday (if the top comes in). The painting is almost done. It's time to start moving furniture back in but, oh no, the couch doesn't look as good next to the walls as it did beside the sample.

I am NOT painting this room again (1 coat of primer, 3 coats of finish after a drywall mishap). Besides, I'd like to find a sectional as this room is quite a bit larger than our old livingroom - but not until my budget recovers from the remodeling.

How do I make this work for now?

P.S. The sofa and floor colors look true to life on my monitor but the wall color is deceiving. Sea Salt reads a lot more blue with a green undertone in real life.

P.P.S. Poor sofa is looking a little worse for wear after spending a couple of months in the garage. I'll have to fluff her up some.

Here is a link that might be useful: sw sea salt

Comments (22)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

It is a great sofa and since the colors are not true on my monitor it is hard to judge, but it looks fine.
    I think there is an ailment NPA, newly painted anxiety. While your judgment is of course the final word because it is your home, wait a little and see how it seems in two weeks.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Annie is right - pillows (and drapes) will change the look from heavy to light. Don't call it "drab olive" - call it "sea green" :).

Attaching a web search of lots of pillows that lighten things up and tie in the wall color to the sofa.

Here is a link that might be useful: BLue and Green pillows

• User
    9 years ago

I think it looks good, and it will look even better once the rest of the furnishings are in, artwork hung,etc. The wall color is a background but right now in your photo it is the most prominent element.

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew! That was a longer day than I thought it was going to be.

lucille: NPA? Hahahahaha. I hope two weeks will cure me.

Annie and tuesday: I was hoping someone would think pillows might work. Would you recover/replace all four of them? I love a lot of the ones in your link, tuesday, but I am pattern-mixing-challenged. Any specific ones either of you would suggest?

kswl: That's what I keep telling myself. Since we opened up the kitchen and dining room to create one big space (plus two adjoining hallways) -- it seems like a virtual sea of sea salt. I love it in the kitchen, where there are creamy cabinets to break it up, but in the living area with just my poor drab old sofa ... yikes.

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only other upholstered piece I presently have for this room is a gold brocade-ish wing chair that has a tiny touch of green and burgundy in its pattern. I'm afraid to even drag it in there for fear of it looking hideous. I could probably afford to spring for a couple of reasonably priced (and reasonably comfortable) side chairs. I don't want to spend a lot on them though because they will likely be temporary. Any ideas?

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I agree with tying the colors in through the pillows. And I would use down inserts in the pillows. It makes such a difference in how they look not to mention the comfort. I get mine from Pottery Barn and The Company Store.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Edeevee I just did a google search of blue and green pillows and of course it pulled up numerous pillows - some would work well and some would clash terribly. You might even start looking at fabric and cover the ones you have.

Just another example of how to start looking: I am attaching one that I think MIGHT have possibilities from Pottery Barn. Look at the variations of the greens in this print...light to dark...also there appears to be some gold which could tie in your gold brocade chair. These examples are just to show you that your olive sofa and Sea Salt paint is not that difficult to work with when you get going in the right direction.

Also look on Etsy, but I think you need to be able to see the pillows or have a good return policy.

It's interesting that you say Sea Salt runs more blue than green in your home. My DD just put it in a bath and it runs more green. That is the fun part of paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Lisa Paisley

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

If you have a Homegoods around, I'd go and get a bunch of pillows, maybe two solid, two patterned. You could also bring in another color, maybe a yellow, purple, etc.
    Are you thinking about floor coverings or window treatment?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, May 23, 14 at 11:15

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, that second room is so great. A purple rug! It sets everything off. I don't know if the many colors on the bookcase are what make it work, but work it does.

This post was edited by jamies on Fri, May 23, 14 at 11:57

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Here is another fun pillow with some purple in it (now that we are looking at purple) lol

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Under the Sea

• jakefield
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I definitely agree that changing out the pillows is the answer for now. Homegoods does usually have a good selection (inexpensive and returnable), so you could experiment until you find something you like. Have fun. Looks great!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here's another way to go.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Options for rugs

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh you guys!!!!!!! I love it all!

The pillows - I wish I could pile every one of them on my sofa. As for the rugs, I like them all but I think I could marry that purple rug -- but first I'll have to convince my husband that our old rug simply will not do. And I can't do that until I find the thing. I think it is in the far hinterlands, at the back of the last stack of boxes still waiting to be unpacked.

We bought some faux silk drapes a couple of weeks ago; they are very close in color to the wall. I'll try to get them hung this weekend to see how they do ... but not until I shop for pillows ;)

Unfortunately our the Homegoods store that was just a half an hour away has closed. Any other likely store suggestions?

And THANKS again!

• nini804
    9 years ago

My friend has Sea Salt in her home...it is a very pretty, "fresh" color to me. The examples shown by Nosoccermom would work, but the examples shown by Beverly are too muddy, I think (except for maybe the polka dot rug.) Ultimately, you probably will want to change out the sofa, but for now that study with the purple rug is a wonderful inspiration.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Do you have a TJMaxx or Marshalls? IKEA? World Market?

I think you could also go with a navy or lighter blue/gray rug if purple is too "out" there for your husband.

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nini: Beverly's choices would have looked terrific in my old livingroom, and I don't think they'd look bad in this one - but I agree that the choices look really fresh and wonderful.

nosoccer: We have TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Sadly, no Ikea or World Market. (We're not that cool here.) I think I'm going to start at Pier 1. They have counter stools on sale and I peeked at their pillow selection online. It looks promising! I don't think my husband will go for any rug at all until I uncover the old one, roll it out, and let him see with his own eyes that we need a new one. He's got a pretty good eye for that kind of thing though, so I'm hopeful.

Thanks again!

• loribee
    9 years ago

I think it's going to be stunning. Can't wait til it's done!

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pillows! And we found our old rug. Sorry for the crummy photo - still haven't found the box with my camera in it. You guys were right. The pillows really help our poor old sofa fit into the new room.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Love, love your pillows! That makes such a difference!

• edeevee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, sis! I like them too. We are in a world of our own though. Consensus says: Too many.