Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

If Crocs made wineglasses, they would look like these

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Sorry, but these are just plain ugly!

They were featured in the NYTimes today. I've seen the waterbottles and those are cute, but these ...

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

But perfect for your outdoor fire pit!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Very true Tibbrix!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blech, never ever ever!

I'm thinking I will serve libations from conch shells. : )

• User
    10 years ago

Mtn., every home MUST have something tacky and cheesy. It keeps one humble.

That's my philosophy, anyway.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I am enough tacky and cheesy in my home. ;-) I don't need to pay for it.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

awwww... those remind me of the plastic tupperware insulated (?) glasses and dessert cups my mom had years ago...!!
    they were all different colors and equally unattractive! but, we had them for years!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Hmmmm...maybe for wine coolers? Certainly not breaking out the good stuff for those glasses!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Well crocs are pretty ugly, period!

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I kind of like them for outside parties. Not slippery in your hands, each person has their own color, informal fun...
    Diane

• peony4
    10 years ago

To spin the Field of Dreams, if you make it, they will buy.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I certainly don't hate them - makes a lot of sense for outdoor entertaining especially with hard surfaces such as around a pool. But if the glasses don't come out of the shell for cleaning, I imagine they would look scummy in no time.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

The first thing that came to my mind was that they would be difficult to clean

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Kinda cute at first glance for outdoor use, but I agree with dlm and madeyna they would be hard to clean if the glasses don't come out.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'm guessing those are silicone sleeves that come off. I tried one on a glass baby bottle once and it was quite the wrestling match for me to get it on and off. These might be easier due the the different shape.

I think they make some sense. At least you are drinking out of real glass instead of plastic. I have had wine out of plastic wine glasses and while I appreciate the practicality when drinking outside with small kids are around, it isn't as nice as glass.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

If I had a pool, I'd definitely have those glasses, I think they'd be cute at my pool bar. Tended by my cabana boy.

Let's face it, it's not easy to find good outdoor drinking glasses. Plastic ones become icky over time with scratches and general age. We just use regular glasses for the most part, but I cringe at the thought of one hitting the stone floor in our porch.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

But how do they keep the drink from just running out of the holes?

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

I think it would make a big improvement if some croc "jewels" were hung in some of the holes. LOL

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I cannot decide it I like these or not. I'm rather leaning towards the not, but probably more because I don't care for the colors than the concept and design. Not that I am fond of the design really... Another thing I have learned, from past glasses purchases is that the heavy bottoms seem like a nice idea--until you put them into the dishwasher. I have actually had similar rounded, heavy bottomed glasses flip over in the rack, and fill with water during a wash cycle. Water would fly if the drawer was pulled too quickly. What a mess, and the glass would have to be rewashed. I donated them, hopefully to someone who hand washes.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Mtn is right; they do look like crocs.

Lol at gyr_falcon!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, gyr! BTW, please explain your name and tell me how I should be "saying" it in my head.

The protective skin is a good idea.

This execution here is bad bad bad. First the colors. Awful. What are they, an homage to the Sweettarts palette? Just awful.

Second, something about the shape and the holes feels Fintstoney to me.

Lastly, what is that logo-ish thingy? Looks like areola. Or a poison ivy outbreak.

Why not take a more tapered and less bulbous shape, and make the openings more like rays of sun circling the glass, and use bright aquas and blues?

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

A gyrfalcon is a bird; birding was a hobby I used to be active in. It is a carryover online name from the long-gone forums, MSN Groups. (Anyone remember those?) I separated the name into two parts, because Gyr was a lot shorter and easier. It is properly pronounced juhr, although I'll respond to however you want to pronounce it in your head or online.

Dang. Now I have no more secrets left. ;-)

• User
    10 years ago

We picked up a pair of porcelain cups - no handles - at the Royal Copenhagen shop when we were visiting Denmark. They have a 3/4 silicone sleeve (without cut outs.)

What a great idea for my evening cup of tea on cold winter nights, I thought...until I tried removing the sleeve every time I washed them. Putting it back on is almost worse. I'm shocked they haven't yet slipped out of my hands and been chipped.

Seemed like a good idea, until we began using them. I'm seeing these presenting the same problem.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Seems like wine drinking has become some sort of sport. I don't get it!

I recently saw this insulated sippy wine cup on Amazon. I thought it was a joke, but people seem to love drinking their wine on the go. Scroll down through some of the reviews though--they're hilarious:
    "This is just fantastic! I am finally able to enjoy a glass of wine during my morning drive into the office! It fits perfectly in my automobile drink holder and I don't have to fear spilling it on my shirt while speeding through school zones! "

Here is a link that might be useful: Sippy Wine Cup.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the giggle, wma!

• User
    10 years ago

Lol, WMA.

Like the reviews for the gallon of milk and the wolf t-shirt and the binder full of women, after Romney's faux pas. Hilarious. Some people are so funny.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Hey! I got one of these for my bday and forgot about it. I assume it's for the boat. The reviews, oh my goodness!

• User
    10 years ago

A few years ago I purchased really nice polycarbonate "glasses" from Williams Sonoma to use outside. They fit nicely in your hand, have an indentation underneath for your thumb and finger, and have no visible seams. They are hefty and have gone in the dishwasher with no clouding or lines. We now use them indoors as much as out and I have them in two sizes. We've tried all manner of plastic ware outside and these are the absolute best. Just in case anyone is looking for such a product without that Croc-y look, which is a heinous crime against glassware :-)

• donnagwd
    10 years ago

The water bottles made by this company (in this style) are quite popular because they don't pick up a plasticy taste and can go right into the dishwasher. My son just came home from college yesterday and my much beloved water bottle has already disappeared.

For those already familiar with the water bottles, these are just a next step.. I don't know about drinking my wine in them, tho.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I had no idea wine glasses worried about tired feet.

tibbrix alerted me, so I am alerting everyone else... there are many funny reviews besides Tuscan milk and wolf shirt. Amazon tracks theirs (I also like salted water for boiling on epicurious). Funny stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon's funny reviews