Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Hardware finish in FL ranch/vacation home

loves2read
11 years ago

We bought home in FL that has some old/some new from recent remodel in kitchen. The problem is that the finished/styles are all a mish-mash. There are mixed metals--ORB/shiny nickle or chrome/brushed nickel or SS...

The kitchen cabinets are new/Shaker style/light cherry tone...with dark brown granite--maybe Baltic Brown. I thought they were absolute black until I saw them in person. There are two mini-pendants in ORB with yellow/gold glass globes over the cooktop island...

Kitchen/front entry has 12 inch grey lanoleum type tiles w/some tan in it.

There is laminate flooring is sort of light wood/grey driftwood in master/bath area. Going to use white ceiling fan w/white fixture over the bed -- and white bedroom furniture--don't know about lamps

There is a wood laminate that is brown/reddish w/yellow tones in front living areas. Again going to have two white ceiling fans with white lights in there.

That reddish brown floor is visible from kitchen since it is open living space...so gray tile and reddish/brown laminate abut each other several times...

the second LA/den has a red brick fireplace wall with dark wood shelf/mantle and the reddish floor so that is visible from the kitchen area

The hall has that same laminate--

We are planning to buy couches/chair in a toile yellow/tan print from Rooms to Go and have that seating in both living areas...some faux leather recliners in light taupe with dark wood legs in area in front of kitchen and a different type of chair--maybe natural rattan in th fireplace room.

use a white dining table and wicker or rattan chairs and have white tables in area in front of kitchen -- although I think we will have to use seagrass rugs to tone down the red in the flooring in the living/dining areas.

The guest bath is original and has white floor tile--that is staying for now.

The utility room has same white tile

Doing house in white ceilings/trim/pocket doors with Barbados Sand on walls in front living areas, including kitchen. Master bedroom in Khaki/Valspar...master bath in Arizona Heat/Kelly Moore...

the master bath has some original fake marble with almost burgandy tones, grey, cream....ugliest fake marble I have ever seen.

We can't afford to redo the baths right now...

I favor going with ORB finish in fixtures

would have to get new knobs for kitchen cabs and a white/cream light fixture for mini-pendants they have over the cooktop island vs the swirled gold in there now...

but we won't change the dark brown granite--and it is in the kitchen and buffet in dining area just adjacent.

just don't like brushed nickle with brown---black granite would have been so much better or a lighter one like Kashmir Gold

My husband favors the brrushed SS/nickle/pewter finish to go with the SS vent hood/fridge and DW in kitchen...and use that in other rooms as we remodel...he thinks that would brighten the look of the house...

Have no luck posting photos here so can't help you with that--at least now--

need to order replacement fixtures for overhead lights so they can be shipped to house in time for electrician to do work around middle of June...

I have looked at lot of on line lighting sites--

have seen some fixtures in various styles in satin/brushed nickle or pewter fixtures I like in the abstract---

but when I try to picture them in the kitchen especially--because we can do white cabs and lighter counters in the baths as we redo them--I just think the brown granite screams for ORB...

I know my husband would never agree to changing the granite--

too much wasted effort/money...

so am I making too big a deal about mixing the brown granite/brownish flooring/cherry cabs with a brush nickel finish????

Any photos of successful rooms using that combination???