Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Total Epiphany--about the cream/ivory paint

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

Ok, it's going on 9am, should have been to the store by now to buy that paint, but I wanted to just double check how each would look in the morning light, with a white lamp in front of it. Also how the wasabi green accent would work with each one.

I kept leaning towards the White Linen because it was a little less yellowish.

HOWEVER....

I wanted to see what Maria Killam's opinion on White Linen was. I finally "heard" what I've read before....

"if you don't have enough light streaming in your house for most parts of the day, then white is not the best idea. What will happen instead is your walls will look gray and dingy because the shadows all on their own will simply cause your white walls to appear gray. So what do you do instead? Well, if you still want a neutral, you intentionally choose a gray that is dark enough so that it looks. . . gray not dingy. "

So I looked at the samples again. The side that was on the shadow side of the lamp looked dingy. There is no curtain on the window right now, and the shade is all the way up! It is bright and sunny out. I can't do white in this room! I went back and looked at my inspiration photo. (I'll post it again, just in case you didn't see it before) That room has 2 windows, at least. (on different sides of the room) It has plenty of light. I will be putting this back in my inspiration folder because now I know so much more, and maybe in the "next" house I'll do it.

Thanks to all for your input and help. I do love these 2 colors and I hope that you don't think your efforts to help were wasted on me. I have learned so much!

I think I'm going with Weimeramer. It looks good, will go with the rocks, and it think it will make the mbr look great.

contemporary bedroom design by new york kitchen and bath Kitchens & Baths, Linda Burkhardt

Comments (23)

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I didn't read through your earlier post, so forgive me if this is redundant.... I am going through a similar paint quest right now. Trying to paint DS's room, which since he is away at college most of the year, will sometimes serve as a guest room. He has dark furniture, and I have been picturing light, creamy walls and neutral linens. But the room doesn't get much light, and just as you said, everything light and creamy just ends up looking dingy. In the middle of the night during this process, I had an aha moment... I had recently tried BM Revere Pewter for my family room, certain that it was going to be perfect, but it turned out to be not quite enough color for that room, which gets quite a bit of light. So I literally woke up in the middle of one night and thought, I bet that would be perfect in DS's room. The next morning I covered quite a bit of wall in it, and I'm pretty sure now that it is the one. It's a much richer, more complex color than it was in my family room due to the low natural light in the bedroom. And the increased pigment makes it appear like purposeful color rather than smudges on cream paint. It's really beautiful.

• WannBeHome
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree with dlm2000.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

I agree as well - I've been following and appreciate the thought process and ideas. dlm2000, you are so right we all go through this. beekeeperswife, you have a beautiful home so go with your gut intincts. They haven't failed you yet.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Read your last post on the other thread, late last night and said to myself..."darn, I wish she'd go with the Weimaraner." Et voila!

• B H
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting what Maria Killam's opinion on whites/creams. That's one of the challenges we've had in choosing a cream. While our family room is very bright during the day, once we lose the natural bright light, it starts to look dingy in here. I painted a bunch of canvas boards with cream samples and watched them turned dingy as the day progressed. Yuck. So disappointing.

We're going in a completely different color direction now but I still mourn not being able to do a room in a cream as lovely as your inspiration photo.

Hope you're happy with Weimaraner!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

O

M

G

I am so tired. I'm breaking a lot of the painting rules. I'm saving the tall ceiling for my dh for when he returns. I really don't think I can do it. Well, certainly not a good job.

I went to the store to get "W" but even though I really liked it, I felt it went a little green in my room...could be the huge river birches out the window. Even in the store, they agreed it was greener than....drumroll please....it's a color that's on the same stinkin' chip I've been using all over! Willow Creek. The foyer is Baltic Gray, and the Laudry Room is Eagle Rock. I really like that they are grays but are brown based. I'm thinking of doing the adjoining bathroom in the Eagle Rock, it's a darker color. I even just thought about the ceiling...what if it was some sort of pale pink......pink and gray are pretty fab together....not sure about that.

Anyhow, here is an update. Stil need to do doors and trim tomorrow. and the windowsill. Also the inside of the atrium window that isn't papered is still terrra-cotta. Might just do that white.

Here's some photos before it gets dark. I need a shower, food, wine, all before 8....got to watch Sarah's House.

these are iPhone photos, so take that into account:

I think the color of the rocks is being influenced by the orange that is still in the window. In real life they are really less.....what's the word?.....orange.

for what it's worth, I used the Aura and it DID cover the orange in 1 coat. 1 !!!

Oh, any word on the End of the World? I've been busy. must have missed it

• B H
    12 years ago

That looks terrific. Can't wait to see the finished room.

• debbie1031
    12 years ago

It looks great! You absolutely made the right choice. The grey in the stones coordinates well with it which lets the browner tones of the stone/grout in the paper act as a complement. Cream would have looked more country/rustic. The grey looks contemporary/transitional and from what I've seen, that's really who you are!

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure any professional interior photos you see are lit by all kinds of professional photography lighting that you don't see. It probably looks nothing like that in real life!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That seriously changed the look of the rock wall already. I picture it with a white breezy looking curtain.
    I am wondering what color your ceiling will be... Any chance you go darker?
    I could not believe how much coverage you get with Aura until I painted our dark purple (Purple Rain) in our den and dining room over raw sheetrock. With 1 coat, we could see 98% of the final color. The second coat barely made a difference, except in a few small spots that must have gone on a little thin. I have done darker tones in the past and it always took extra coats to get to the final result. I figure the cost savings in primer, the extra roller and more importantly, time and effort of an extra step and extra clean-up are worth the difference in price.

• loribee
    12 years ago

HUH! I love it....
    (and you helped many of us in your quest with your updates!)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

What color are you doing the ceiling?

Sounds about right what you posted from Maria Killam! Could never really figure out why sometiomes I LOVE cream & white in my house and why at other times I was left totally un-inspired. The rooms that I am totally jazzed about are very bright and light filled rooms. Other rooms that I've repeatedly tried white and cream in and it's fallen flat are those that weren't filled w/ natural sunlight.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

good choice!!!

i did take pictures, and discovered something is wrong with my phone- not good pics, so have to make trip to verizon...will still post them some day soon!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I'm going to go with a white ceiling.

Not because I'm chickening out, and not because I can't decide. I think white is what will look best. I really like the way the Cloud White trim looks against it. I dragged a white lamp up there to see it. I'm going to go with white bedding, maybe a hit of that wasabi/pear/apple/lime green. I think it looks fresh. And I won't just go with regular ceiling paint white, I'm going to specify a really really bright one. Based on my post asking for the whitest white, (when I really wanted to make the cream/ivory walls pop), it looks like Super White could be the one. I'll try to get that.

So tired. Did all the trim today. And I crawled into the bathroom and worked on finishing the drywall that was 1/2 done from a leak repair. Got that primed. I also finally did the caulk on the woodwork, which was never completed the last time I painted this room. Sometimes it takes sending your better half out of the country to get some of these little details done. Would love to do that room in the Wasabi, but I'm a little afraid of that color in the bathroom. Eeeks, what would the reflection in the mirror be? I was figuring to do it in just the Eagle Rock, same old paint strip, two or three colors darker. Same as the laundry room. it's a very rich looking. Might as well try it. Already have it, and if I hate it, I'll just change it again. What the heck. I have until Saturday.

Need to take dogs out, and go to bed. Very tired.

How is auntjen painting until 2 am anyhow?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

For a few weeks, I got in the habit of painting after dinner for hours each night, long past the kids and dh going to bed. I'd put on my ipod with an audiobook downloaded from the library and paint until I was tired. I was shocked one night when I finished a story and went to the bathroom. It was 3:45 a.m. and I had had no clue. I washed up and was in bed by 4. Luckily, the next day I had off from work, so got the boys on the bus and took a 2 hour nap.
    I got a little off track because work picked up, baseball season hit (1 son on 1 team, the other on 2 and dh on 2) and I just lost momentum. I am trying to get it back, but it isn't easy... I have a work appt in the a.m. tomorrow and then have to do some cleaning and laundry (killer amounts in baseball season). I hope to be back to painting after dinner. Later in the week, with the Dancing and Idol finales, I will miss some paint time, but a girl's entitled to a break every now and then, lol.... Thank God for dvrs, but the finales need to be watched almost live because I hate when the results get ruined!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I have to admit that I'm not sure about leaving the ceiling white. It doesn't seem as styled as the rest of your house. I actually think that if you went for another shade of grey on your ceiling that white bedding, curtains and pops of green would stand out more and still have that very restful bedroom like quality while remaining crisp.

I did want to suggest a bright white since you mentioned bright whites. I'm am faithfully loving SW High Reflectance White. Straight white. Bright white. The perfect foil to my black and white gallery walls. It doesn't look dull. There are no tints added to it.

Good luck!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ttodd, I know what you mean. I really do. But, I have to admit, that the white with the gray looks really nice. I did paint the 8' ceiling in the room (over near the bathroom entry) in the same gray. But with the white bedding (the green accents do NOT look good, btw--changing that direction).

so, of course I went back to Maria's website and did some more poking around about painted ceilings. And again, I found the confirmation for my decision. If you are using white as an element in the room, then it's ok to leave it white, and it won't look "unfinished". I'm going with all white bedding, white lamps, white curtains. There will be some color in the artwork.

And since the only ceiling painted a noticeable color in my house is the foyer, I feel it's consistent that the "rooms" don't have a dark ceiling. And it also will make that ceiling feel "special".

I will check out that SW paint color. They are having a 30% off sale right now. I just found someone to paint the ceiling for me. (a friend's fiancee) Yay, now the entire room can be completed before dh gets back. The last thing I wanted was for him to have to do work when he returned.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics.

I found the SW HRW on their whites brochure. Not sure if it's on a single chip anywhere but I think that it was best viewed anongst all of the other whites anyways. You can see how 'bright' it really is. And honestly I think that it does reflect better than other whites that I sampled. Some of the samples are still up on my wall and while you can't tell where one white begins and another ends I think that you can really tell where one area is just 'brighter'.

Good to know about the paint sale - thanks! I'm waiting until there's a really good sale to buy all of the paint for the office, LR and LR at one time to knock it out ASAP.

• kendog2
    12 years ago

Beekeeper'swife, do you know the name of the cream colored paint in your inspirational photo? It looks very pretty.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Never found out what the color was, but White Linen (or is it Linen White?) and maybe Bone White were the two I was looking at. They both were beautiful paint colors.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

forboystoo! Awesome! I had emailed the designer a long time ago and she had not responded. She must have had a lot of requests for the colors if she came back to Houzz to post the answer! I'm not crazy about the guesses that the color "expert" on Houzz made. I checked out her suggestions and they looked nothing like the picture.

Kudos to GW members since they were the ones who narrowed it down to the Line White or Bone White!

need to clip this post into my files for future reference!

Thanks so much